Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
brsteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 2625
Default OT possibilities

Here's an article on some of the possibilities if the Steelers were to decide to draft an OT. Check out my signature for the rest of the link. What do you guys think of Nicks and Cherilus?

RealFootball365.com:

The bottom line for the Pittsburgh Steelers is simple: Their offensive tackles were highly inconsistent throughout the course of the 2007-08 season. Further, there were injuries as well. So, even with the possibility of offensive guard Alan Faneca going elsewhere, one has to figure that a first-round tackle will be the way to go in April's draft.

The question: Which one?

First, let's eliminate. Jake Long, the Michigan Wolverines' 6-foot-7, 305-pound tackle, will simply not be around when Pittsburgh selects in Round 1. The same can be said of Ryan Clady, a highly athletic tackle from Boise State.

That leaves Jeff Otah, Sam Baker, Chris Williams, Gosder Cherilus and Carl Nicks.

Otah (Pitt): At 6-6 and 340 pounds, Otah has excellent size for the position. He runs the 40-yard dash in 5.35 seconds, which isn't bad at all for someone that big. Otah is a very big, powerful and aggressive player who has all the tools to play either tackle position. Weaknesses can be found in his technique, such as hand use and the fact that sometimes he comes out of his stance too high. Of course, the fact that he didn't play football until his final year of high school is the likely reason for the technique flaws. Otah simply has a huge upside. Because of this upside, it is possible that he could very well be gone by the time the Steelers choose in the first round, unless they (check out signature for the link to the rest of the article):
brsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579
Default Re: OT possibilities

cherilus over nicks... definitely

nicks will be a mid-late second rounder...
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Gosder Cherilus has been my choice from day one of seeing the guy practice at the Senior Bowl. He held his own against very good competition including Balmer from UNC and Ellis from USC.
My Number One Pick For Sure
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Gosder Cherilus has been my choice from day one of seeing the guy practice at the Senior Bowl. He held his own against very good competition including Balmer from UNC and Ellis from USC.
My Number One Pick For Sure
im sure he must've had a great senior bowl but idk about holding his own against sedrick ellis... from what i've heard ellis was tearing up anyone and was unblockable in any drill and a beast in the game...
Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

I like the idea of Cherilus in the 1st for RT. Let Marvel play LT with Starks backing up both positions. Yes, Starks just got guaranteed a big payday, but still not necessarily from us. Plus, maybe Starks starts the season at RT but Cherilus finishes it.

Let Kemoeatu, Colon, Simmons and Mahan (in that order) battle for guard spots. I'm thinking Kemo LG Colon RG.

Center problems/discussions could be a thread unto itself, although Stapleton is supposed to be progressing nicely. Not holding my breath, but ya never know.
Give It To Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote