Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Transition tag put on Starks

Steelers put transition tag on Starks
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 20, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS - The Steelers have put the transition tag on Max Starks, who becomes a free agent at the end of the month, though that doesn't guarantee the offensive tackle will be with the team next season.

By using the transition tag on Starks the Steelers have the right to match any contract offer that is made to him during the free-agent signing period.

The Steelers would not receive any compensation if they decline to match an offer that is made to Starks. If Starks does not sign with another team he will receive in 2008 the average salary of what the 10 highest-paid offensive lineman were paid last season, which was roughly $6.9 million.

Starks lost his starting job at right tackle last season to Willie Colon but proved to be invaluable to the Steelers.

He filled in for Marvel Smith at left tackle when the latter was sidelined with back problems, and he also played tight end and on the kick-block unit of special teams.

Starks missed the Steelers' 31-29 loss to Jacksonville in an AFC wild-card game because of a knee injury.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_553414.html
Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,842 Times in 3,712 Posts
Default Re: Transition tag put on Starks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Steelers put transition tag on Starks
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 20, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS - The Steelers have put the transition tag on Max Starks, who becomes a free agent at the end of the month, though that doesn't guarantee the offensive tackle will be with the team next season.

By using the transition tag on Starks the Steelers have the right to match any contract offer that is made to him during the free-agent signing period.

The Steelers would not receive any compensation if they decline to match an offer that is made to Starks. If Starks does not sign with another team he will receive in 2008 the average salary of what the 10 highest-paid offensive lineman were paid last season, which was roughly $6.9 million.

Starks lost his starting job at right tackle last season to Willie Colon but proved to be invaluable to the Steelers.

He filled in for Marvel Smith at left tackle when the latter was sidelined with back problems, and he also played tight end and on the kick-block unit of special teams.

Starks missed the Steelers' 31-29 loss to Jacksonville in an AFC wild-card game because of a knee injury.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_553414.html
why not just get a deal done with him? a sign and trade perhaps? im really confused by this. by placing this tag they either lose him with no compensation or owe him $6.9 mil for 1 year????

crazy stuff. i guess demand for his services are through the roof. (then again, if he were thrown into this years draft he'd probably be a 1st round pick.)
Old 02-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Its alot of money for Starks, but I actually dont have a huge problem with this. This gives us another year to see if he is actually getting better or if he is still the same old Max Starks. Id rather them do this then sign him to a long term contract that he would never live up to.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

wtf? he doesnt start because he loses his job. Then we pay him top ten money if noone signs him, and get nothing in return for him???

I'm just as confused as you are Tony. Why wouldnt we just sign him. or atleast put a tender on him to get something back?? can we even do that? I guess it's a moot point now.

So then bengals sign him to a 4 year 25 mill deal, we get nothing?

Or, noone signs him, and we pay someone who has never lived up to expectations, actually LOST his job last year, top 10 money? wtf?

i dont get this at all. how the hell could we even get anything for him. Maybe we put in one of those clauses? didnt hutchinson get transition tagged? Then seattle got SCREWED. we could easily get poison pilled just like the Hawks.

I don't like this at all.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Very dumb move. Man, sometimes you wonder?

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
wtf? he doesnt start because he loses his job. Then we pay him top ten money if noone signs him, and get nothing in return for him???

I'm just as confused as you are Tony. Why wouldnt we just sign him. or atleast put a tender on him to get something back?? can we even do that? I guess it's a moot point now.

So then bengals sign him to a 4 year 25 mill deal, we get nothing?

Or, noone signs him, and we pay someone who has never lived up to expectations, actually LOST his job last year, top 10 money? wtf?

i dont get this at all. how the hell could we even get anything for him. Maybe we put in one of those clauses? didnt hutchinson get transition tagged? Then seattle got SCREWED. we could easily get poison pilled just like the Hawks.

I don't like this at all.

The Seahawks tagged Hutch and the Vikings put in a poison pill, and lost Hutch.

Starks is nowhere near Hutch's level, so if we do lose him, it wont be a huge loss.

Colon was dreadful at tackle this year. Starks got his weight down and showed some flashes. Starks biggest problem has been his mobilitiy, but he looked better in his time starting this season.

This tag gives us another year to see if he really is coming along. I know some of you think its easy to magically fix an OLine, but it isnt. Starks isnt terrible, he just needs proper coaching. With that and reduced weight, he may finally become a great tackle.

Its better this than signing him to a 5 year contract he may never live up to. It also gives us a year to groom a rookie to take over in 2009.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
ajs8207
Starter

Member Number: 2795

For the extra $555,000, we could have franchised him and gotten some type of compensation, or at least kept other teams away from him. This baffles me.
ajs8207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

i think the steelers realize they can't fill all of their holes along the line in one offseason. they have 4 holes to fill. hopefully starks will be placed at LT, not RT. IMO, i think he does better there. smith was a RT coming out of college wasn't he?

LT - starks
LG - simmons
C - who the hells knows(too bad faneca wants too much $$$)
RG - colon
RT - smith

face it they aren't going to bench simmons with that salary. at LG the steelers can perhaps better utilize use some of his speed for pulling.

starks look more comfortable at LT than RT. then again he could be a turnstile again.

no idea who to place at C. faneca could be another hartings possibly. but we all know the money that faneca wants won't allow him to stay in pitt.

colon is not a tackle, enough said.

i believe smith played RT in college. i don't see anything that you would suggest a dropoff in production by him there.

the steelers will most likely draft OL in the first round. they will probably BPA it between guard and tackle.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

In fact the Steelers did put the transition tag but it wont cost em anything else than 555,000 $ more

the 6.9 million for 1 year isnt true. and that is the Franchise TAG which of course per team policy isnt going to happen

so there's a mistake with the report,cause they put the ''Transition'' tag .That means it will only give them the right to match or not the offer by other teams.

Again....the FRANCHISE TAG is the one that cost you the average of the Top 10 Players playing at the player's position...but no need to cry cause it's not the Tag they've used.

Bottom line,if any team wants to throw a ''poison pill'' the steelers wont be able to match the offer and they'll lose him for free but at least it wont have cost anything else than 555,000 more to try.
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
k7brown
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 5995

hmmm... interesting.
k7brown is offline   Reply With Quote