Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Media

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212
Unhappy My NFL Channel is gone!

Not sure which would be the right thread to put this in, but I have to cry a little bit on your shoulders.

All of a sudden, my DIsh network has decided to make the NFL channel part of a premium subscription! I am absolutely heartbroken - I loved me some NFL network, and watched it frequently. I called to register a complaint and in the recorded instructions, there was an option if you were calling about the NFL channel being gone. I pressed it, and all it was was instructions on how to order it. Thank you so much. I hung on until someone picked up my call and yelled at that poor guy for a while. I asked him why all of a sudden, NFL went premium when I had been receiving it already for a couple of years (he was trying to tell me it was a "free preview") and why I had received an ad for Dish network THAT SAME DAY which listed NFL as part of the basic package. He had no answers for me, which was pretty much what I expected. I told him I'd be happy to pay $5 extra monthly for the NFL channel but I refused to pay $40 a month more for NFL plus a lot of other crap I didn't want. $40 a month really adds up, and I can't afford that anyway. He wasn't able to help at all - and again, I didn't really expect him to be able to - he was just some poor working class shmoe who happened to be next in line when I called, but I did ask him to register a complaint with TPTB on my behalf. I am very upset! I hope other people will refuse to pay the extra and maybe they'll bring it back to the basic package. Yeah, I know, keep dreaming.

I have no idea what I'm going to do now. They took my drug away from me and I'm jonesing for a fix already. I hate that I will miss the scouting combine, the specials that they run, the draft selections, the NFL replays, the Top 10 countdowns, the classic game reruns, the America's Games, etc. Thank God I recorded a lot of that stuff, but I will be missing anything new they have.

Thanks for letting me vent. I am so unhappy and upset right now I don't know whether to cry or spit nails.
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: My NFL Channel is gone!

If you would have been nicer to the customer service rep, your complaint might actually get somewhere. I can guarantee you that your complaint isn't going to go anywhere if you truly did "yell at" the customer service rep. I can also assure you it wasn't his decision to make the NFL network part of a premium package that way either. The people you really want to yell at aren't anywhere near the phones. Just my .
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

I work for Dish Network, and I have not heard anything about this programming change. I'll check again when I go in tomorrow. I'm off today.

But when I just read this, I ran upstairs, and turned on the NFL Network.

I have it just fine.

What package are you on, kitty? I have Dish Network, and I'm on America's top 200, the middle package. Are you on the lower package? Maybe that would explain it. And no, I'm not on an employee package. I'm a regular customer like yinz...
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Ok, not an employee for Direct TV. But I have to say, its the best thing I've ever put money into.

I got it a few years back, about 4 years ago, just so I could get the NFL package and watch Football. I live in Arkansas, we get ZERO real football and I'm stuck in a the Region of St Louis, KC (sometimes) and Dallas, Tennessee isn't even considered my region. So I buy the NFL Package every year. Now this year, when I re-upped my programming for the NFL package, I was given a free HD Upgrade. Effing right! So now I get HD channels as well as everything else.

I also get the Fox Sports package and get to watch any College I want pretty much in the country. Big East Basketball, Big 10 network, ESPNU, everything. I don't get any movie channels, but I have the 2nd Tier package. So I get all the "cable" channels.

Also note, The Superbowl. At that time, the local channel here out of Fort Smith, that was carrying the Superbowl went down. I turned to the Superbowl at around 4:30 my time to watch a little pre-game and it said "This station is having technical difficulties" I laughed and said figures, but then at about 4:45 when I checked back, there was a message "Please tune to channel 701 for the Superbowl" Sure enough, I turned it on and there was the game. Bonus, it was in HD too!

Now locally, the people with Cable and with Dish didn't get the Superbowl until the station came back up around Half Time.

Also, Direct TV has a pretty good customer service set up. Although I tend to stay on hold for longer than I'd like, they always take care of me when I get through to them.

I am a huge Direct TV fan. The superbowl switch over was the icing on the cake of their awesomeness in my eyes.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Oh and I get the NFL network as part of the base package. It rocks. Channel 212, my daughters know it as "daddy's favorite channel"
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Your not alone Kittyfish! The day the combine starts [I think] we lose it on Dish Network too! I liked the channel a lot, it had a lot of good shows but we're not upgrading just for it.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
If you would have been nicer to the customer service rep, your complaint might actually get somewhere. I can guarantee you that your complaint isn't going to go anywhere if you truly did "yell at" the customer service rep. I can also assure you it wasn't his decision to make the NFL network part of a premium package that way either. The people you really want to yell at aren't anywhere near the phones. Just my .
Oh, trust me, fansince76, I am a very shy, non-confrontational sort and didn't really "yell" at him. I told the rep right up-front that I was upset at the change and nothing I would say was directed at him. I spoke in a calm (though frustrated) tone of voice and said I knew he wouldn't be able to do anything about it and I knew it wasn't his decision but I hoped he would be able to relay my disappointment to his higher-ups. I thanked him at the end of the call, and honestly wished a nice evening. I am never rude to someone over the phone, and try not to be in face-to-face encounters either. You'll just have to take my word for that. I used "yelling" as hyperbole when I was posting before. I am still frustrated and being more forceful here than with the Dish employee. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

In fact, the only times I really raise my voice on a regular basis is during Steelers games. Which is why my son doesn't like to be around when they're playing. He's not used to me being loud.

Quote:
What package are you on, kitty? I have Dish Network, and I'm on America's top 200, the middle package. Are you on the lower package? Maybe that would explain it. And no, I'm not on an employee package. I'm a regular customer like yinz...
I have Dish through Sprint/Embarq in a package deal which includes phone and internet service, so it would be a huuuuge inconvenience to switch to another provider. I think we have the "lowest" package, but it did include the NFL network, which as I say, I saw adverstised yesterday as part of the same package I have - at least I still have all the other channels listed there. I live in Western PA and the NFL channel is (was) 154 on my service.

Last edited by Kittyfish; 02-21-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
Oh, trust me, fansince76, I am a very shy, non-confrontational sort and didn't really "yell" at him. I told the rep right up-front that I was upset at the change and nothing I would say was directed at him. I spoke in a calm (though frustrated) tone of voice and said I knew he wouldn't be able to do anything about it and I knew it wasn't his decision but I hoped he would be able to relay my disappointment to his higher-ups. I thanked him at the end of the call, and honestly wished a nice evening. I am never rude to someone over the phone, and try not to be in face-to-face encounters either. You'll just have to take my word for that. I used "yelling" as hyperbole when I was posting before. I am still frustrated and being more forceful here than with the Dish employee. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
The misunderstanding was all mine. I sincerely apologize.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

MINE ALSO.......this sucks really bad, my thing expired the 19th, what the hell, 4 days before the combine. what a ripoff.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

What is this "thing" you speak of? Free preview? Channel subscription? Whu?
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote