Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234
Default Mike Martz wants the truth.

Posted by Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff February 21, 2008 01:55 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz, who was the head coach of the St. Louis Rams team that lost to the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVI, said he is interested in seeing whether Matt Walsh comes forward.

Walsh is the former Patriots employee who has hinted he has potentially damaging material, including an alleged tape of the St. Louis Super Bowl walkthrough prior to the Patriots' 20-17 win in 2002.

"Of course, I'm interested. I was involved in that," said Martz to a group of reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine who asked about Walsh. "It was my responsibility. I was responsible for a lot of people in that game. I am interested. But I'm going to assume, like anything else, that this is totally false. Until it proves differently, there's really not much to talk about."

When asked whether he was surprised that one of his former St. Louis players, Willie Gary, was named as a plaintiff in a $100 million lawsuit filed last week against the Patriots, owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick stemming from the alleged taping, Martz demurred.

"I'm not going to go there. When this is all over with and the investigations are finished I hope that Bill is exonerated and this didn't happen, so we'll see."

However, Martz did say that if the Patriots did tape the walkthrough it would have to be considered cheating.

"First of all, I doubt that this happened, I really do," said Martz. "I'll only say this, and I'm not going to talk about it anymore. I don't think the point is ever whether they got something out of it. The whole point is, were they cheating or not? Isn't it? Isn't that really the point? I think so.

"When you say he took some steroids that did help or didn't help. ...that's never the point. The point is to all these high school coaches and high school kids and college kids, if they did cheat, I think that's the point, not whether it was effective or ineffective. I guess that's what is being glossed over.

"But I'm going to choose to believe this is all not true. I just have too much respect and admiration for Bill, and I just don't think it's true. But I guess when I hear people say it didn't affect [the game], well, it probably didn't. No, it probably didn't affect it at all. But that's really not the point, now is it?"
Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: Mike Martz wants the truth.

Martz is taking the high road which is good to see, I guess. I'd be less cordial considering that SB had a lot to do with him eventially losing his job in St Louis.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

The way I see it is, Martz can't come out and say I want these bastards caught. He has to do it this way.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

What I found odd was Bill Cowher's comments. He stated "Is it an advantage to steal signals? Yes. Did it determine the outcome of the game? No.''

Maybe I'm the only one, but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

This is also the same guy who preached time and time again that "there is a fine line between winning and losing.".

So which is it Bill?

At least Martz wants to find out what in the hell went on and more power to him.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
What I found odd was Bill Cowher's comments. He basically stated that it's not a big deal and that it did not effect the game. Yet Cowher preached time and time and time again that "there is fine line between winning and losing.".

So which is it Bill?

At least Martz wants to find out what in the hell went on and can you blame the guy? I know I can't.
I think Cowher and Martz basically did the same thing.... take the high road.

What else could he do without sounding like sour grapes?

Really is a shame though... In reality, we could have been sitting here with 3 SB trophies from the last few years, instead of 1, and ANOTHER back to back win.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I fail to see how wanting to know the truth is considered sour grapes.

IMO, losing a game and blaming it on the refs is sour grapes. Losing a game and using injuries as an excuse is sour grapes. Losing a game because the opposition's HC is a cheating sack of shit in more ways than one is a legitimate beef in my book...lol.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
What I found odd was Bill Cowher's comments. He stated "Is it an advantage to steal signals? Yes. Did it determine the outcome of the game? No.''

Maybe I'm the only one, but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

This is also the same guy who preached time and time again that "there is a fine line between winning and losing.".

So which is it Bill?

At least Martz wants to find out what in the hell went on and more power to him.
Well, i think this is Bill's way of making it known that he feels that they cheated, but does not want to come off as a cry baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:

IMO, losing a game and blaming it on the refs is sour grapes. Losing a game and using injuries as an excuse is sour grapes. Losing a game because the opposition's HC is a cheating sack of shit in more ways than one is a legitimate beef in my book...lol.

You and I agree... but it could and would be spun as sour grapes by many... especially those who hate the Steelers
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

The way I see it, the only places they will come off as crybabies is with the bandwagon fans up in New England (shocker) and on ESPN where polishing Patriot knob has become a job qualification.

I think a good number of football fans want to see Belicheat and that organization held accountable.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Quote:

Exactly! If your considered to be a "coaching genius" then you shouldn't be taping teams and expecting them to forget about it. Sour grapes is the Patriots* team.