Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' Tomlin benefits from experience

Steelers' Tomlin benefits from experience
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 25, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS - Almost two months removed from his first season as an NFL head coach, Mike Tomlin looked refreshed.
He is also more relaxed than he was a year ago, and it's easy to see why his comfort level with his job as coach of the Steelers has increased exponentially.

At this time last year, Tomlin only knew the players he would coach through what he had seen on film, read in reports and what he had gleaned from meeting with them.

Now, he's had a season to work with them and get to know them. And, as Tomlin said Sunday during a break from watching workouts at the NFL scouting combine, "There is a considerable difference. Like I'm sure in any job, you do it, you know your co-workers, you know the people that you work with. There's a level of comfort as you move forward. That's what I'm experiencing this year as opposed to last year."

He is not the only one.
Ken Whisenhunt is in his second year as a head coach, and, like Tomlin, it's not a stretch to say the difference between this year and last year for the former Steelers offensive coordinator is akin to the difference between winter and summer.

"Last year at this time I felt like we had a plan," said Whisenhunt, the coach of the Arizona Cardinals. "Obviously, getting everybody to believe the plan would work or getting everybody on the same page was a concern. I don't have as much concern with that. As I sit here a year later I certainly feel a lot more comfortable about the direction we're going and what we're trying to get done."

A lot of what makes it tough for head coaches in their first season is the unknown of what they will face and the simple fact that they have to grow into the job. And try as they might to anticipate every scenario that will crop up, it's impossible to know everything they will encounter, particularly on a job that is as demanding and fraught with pressure as an NFL head coach.

"Even though you prepare for 30 years of your life to be a head coach there's no manual when it comes to this level and just getting everything in place that you want and still seeing things that 'I can't get to that over there' and 'That needs to change but I don't have time to get that changed right now,' " said Brad Childress, who is in his third year as coach of the Minnesota Vikings. "You're way more comfortable because people on your staff know your expectations, you have the process set up and you fine-tune it."

As Tomlin put it succinctly on why he is more self-assured, this is his "second lap around the track."

During his first lap, Tomlin led the Steelers to an AFC North title but his team struggled during the latter part of the season and lost to Jacksonville, 31-29, in an AFC wild-card game.

Asked if he had evaluated the job he did in his first season as a head coach, Tomlin said, "I was 10-6, 0-1 in the playoffs. That's how I evaluate myself. I think that's how we're all measured in this business. You can paint pictures to make yourself feel good or tear yourself down, but the reality is the wins and losses go by my name. I accept that

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_554103.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin benefits from experience

Quote:
Asked if he had evaluated the job he did in his first season as a head coach, Tomlin said, "I was 10-6, 0-1 in the playoffs. That's how I evaluate myself. I think that's how we're all measured in this business. You can paint pictures to make yourself feel good or tear yourself down, but the reality is the wins and losses go by my name. I accept that
you have to love the honesty that tomlin gives the media.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

So we will take the best talent on the board when it comes out time to pick?

I bet that we take the best OLineman on the board. regardless of who we look at and like, it'll be Oline.

Although I want Felix Jones. Or at least someone that can be a 3rd down back and return kicks. Put the fear of our STs into people instead of being the ST laughing stock. The Oline is being addressed, and if we don't find a Center in the first round, why bother with anyone else. If we don't get a Better Center, the Oline will be just as bad in 08 as it was in 07.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

tomlin really doesnt matter in our draft, at least not right now with how young he is. stephen colbert basically controls draft day life, which is a good thing in our case.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
tomlin really doesnt matter in our draft, at least not right now with how young he is. stephen colbert basically controls draft day life, which is a good thing in our case.
steven colbert?

tomlin doesnt matter?

huh?

next.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I think tomlin is the type of man, that if he didn't have at least SOME control on draft day, he would walk away.

No, Tomlin does matter.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Dizzle43
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8235

I think he did a great job in his first season as head coach. I think we were all a little nervous coming into the past season with our performance the year before and a new coach for the first time in over a decade. It was smart of him to let Lebeau call the shots on defense. He made some mistakes, but overall I'd give him an B+ for his first year. I think our future is bright with Tomlin at the helm.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,508 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Given time tomlin will be one of the best in the nfl.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
stephen colbert basically controls draft day life, which is a good thing in our case.
and he still has time to helm an emmy-nominated show on comedy central

amazing multitasker...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think this draft will be a good one for tomlin.. like they said he has a yr under his belt and he knows where the soft spots are on the team..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote