Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Mel Kiper is going crazy

i was watching NFL live and at the bottem of the screen it showed Mel's mock draft and he believes the best player at the OL position left for us is Chilo Rachal from USC he is a guard. most of you have probably never heard of him because he is projected to be drafted anywhere from the 3rd round to the 4th round....so why would he suggest us drafting him in the 1st round?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chilo-rachal?id=782
Old 02-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: Mel Kiper is going crazy

I wonder if theres ever been a situation where a GM liked a player that was available but then thought, Geez we can't take him, that clown Kiper said thats who we should take. It's gotta be the wrong decision.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,912 Times in 958 Posts

Yeah and Kiper said the steelers would regret taking Burress over Pennington too. Rachal is a good guard prospect, but I dont know that he is better right now than Simmons, Colon or Kemoatu.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

People try to out think the room too often and look brilliant and aren't held accountable when they turn out to be morons.

best players in this draft are, Daren McFadden or Glenn Dorsey. Both were STUDS on their teams in the SEC Conference (Which I HATE) and that shows me, both are ready to Start and go on day one.

Chris Long and Jake Long coming in right after that. The rest is all debatable, but to take a Gaurd from USC and compare him to the type of impact the top 5 guys will have. Stupid really.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,912 Times in 958 Posts

I'm in the McFadden doubter camp. Yeah he has performed, but again the hashmarks being wider in college allow speed players to outrun defenders and get to a seam or block.

In the NFL a guy like Reggie Bush finds out you cant run east- west until you find a hole.....you gotta run between the tackles!!!!

If McFadden can learn to run between the tackles then he can be a success.

Tashard Choice is a sleeper that runs north-south well, but might be Duce staley-esque on the injury front.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
People try to out think the room too often and look brilliant and aren't held accountable when they turn out to be morons.

best players in this draft are, Daren McFadden or Glenn Dorsey. Both were STUDS on their teams in the SEC Conference (Which I HATE) and that shows me, both are ready to Start and go on day one.

Chris Long and Jake Long coming in right after that. The rest is all debatable, but to take a Gaurd from USC and compare him to the type of impact the top 5 guys will have. Stupid really.
Did I miss something? Where did he say Rachal would be comparable to a top 5 guy???

"most of you have probably never heard of him because he is projected to be drafted anywhere from the 3rd round to the 4th round....so why would he suggest us drafting him in the 1st round?"

Um, I haven't seen a single draft that didn't have in gone by the end of the second. I expect him to be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd.

Do I want him to be our first round pick? No.
Do I want any guard in the first two rounds? No.
Am I happy with Kemo, Colon, Simmons at guard? For now.
But let's not go crazy here either.....
Give It To Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

chris long had an amazing day at the combine.. i think he is going to be a phenom in the nfl..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
i was watching NFL live and at the bottem of the screen it showed Mel's mock draft and he believes the best player at the OL position left for us is Chilo Rachal from USC he is a guard. most of you have probably never heard of him because he is projected to be drafted anywhere from the 3rd round to the 4th round....so why would he suggest us drafting him in the 1st round?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chilo-rachal?id=782
i agree with kiper.. when i first saw it was like no otah? or no williams? but the guy makes sense... he knows what he's doing... he's definitely not another mike mayock...

people might not realize what kind of whole alan faneca leaves once he leaves... that LG position is soon becoming the most important position on the o-line next to the LT... in the running game it's definitely up to the LG... i definitely see us considering rachal but hopefully we can nab him in the 2nd round...
Old 02-28-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
chris long had an amazing day at the combine.. i think he is going to be a phenom in the nfl..
Kiper said that in his opinion, Long is the best DL prospect to come out in the last 20 years. That's saying alot. I'm routin' for him since Howie was a Steelers fan growin up.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 AM   #10
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

LOL sorry, I just read the title of this thread and it really made me laugh. Kiper is going crazy now!? Look at the dudes hair! His life completely surrounds the NFL draft and college football in general, he does sit-ups during commercial breaks on his radio show and likes the city of Baltimore. Yeah, he is just going crazy now. LMAO.