Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Mel Kiper is going crazy

it's prob hard to keep his hair like it is... i would hope kiper would know what he is talking about b/c him and mayock all they do is the draft.. so they should know about the players, etc...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371004]i agree with kiper.. when i first saw it was like no otah? or no williams? but the guy makes sense... he knows what he's doing... he's definitely not another mike mayock...

QUOTE]

You are right, Kiper is no Mayock. Mayock played at Boston College, actually did all the drills they do at the combine and played 2 years as a DB and kick returner for the NY Giants.

Mel Kiper is a draftnik that followed college players and wrote a scouting report each year of college players and got picked up by ESPN to do that very same thing. Kiper is somewhat flamboyant in his presentation and I cant help but remember him calling guys like Charles Rogers and Thomas Jones cant miss prospects, or saying the Steelers made a big mistake taking Plaxico over Chad Pennington(who would you want now?)

Mayock actually breaks down film and states the facts. Fact is Rachal is a good guard prospect, but he's not even on the same level as Ben Grubbs who came out last year.

Face it. Simmons, Kemoatu, Colon and Mahan are not Pro Bowlers,but neither is Rachal. Guys like Otah, Nicks, Albert, Williams all have better upsides and considering our 2 best OT's are Smith(playing his last season as a Steeler) and Starks(who was a backup this season) it makes more sense to take one of the top 5 OT's this year.

Kiper and his lettuce are going crazy.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #13
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I'm not defending whether or not Rachal is a 1st round pick, but who says he's not.

If we pick 1.23 and then 2.56, then is'nt any player that we feel wo'nt last until 2.56 a 1st round prospect for us? If the team scouts the player and likes the player for their system, and the player is drafted and performs well, is'nt that value?
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #14
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;371069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i agree with kiper.. when i first saw it was like no otah? or no williams? but the guy makes sense... he knows what he's doing... he's definitely not another mike mayock...

QUOTE]

You are right, Kiper is no Mayock. Mayock played at Boston College, actually did all the drills they do at the combine and played 2 years as a DB and kick returner for the NY Giants.

Mel Kiper is a draftnik that followed college players and wrote a scouting report each year of college players and got picked up by ESPN to do that very same thing. Kiper is somewhat flamboyant in his presentation and I cant help but remember him calling guys like Charles Rogers and Thomas Jones cant miss prospects, or saying the Steelers made a big mistake taking Plaxico over Chad Pennington(who would you want now?)

Mayock actually breaks down film and states the facts. Fact is Rachal is a good guard prospect, but he's not even on the same level as Ben Grubbs who came out last year.

Face it. Simmons, Kemoatu, Colon and Mahan are not Pro Bowlers,but neither is Rachal. Guys like Otah, Nicks, Albert, Williams all have better upsides and considering our 2 best OT's are Smith(playing his last season as a Steeler) and Starks(who was a backup this season) it makes more sense to take one of the top 5 OT's this year.

Kiper and his lettuce are going crazy.
i'm glad ur listening to a guy who puts mendenhall over mcfadden... and brandon flowers as his #1 rated CB propsect and phillip wheeler isn't anywhere in his top 5 LB prospects but a guy named jo-lonn dumbar is... name what college he went to w/o googling him and i'll be surprised.. and also how dajuan morgan is his #1 rated safety....

one week ago mayock said he watched the BCS championship game for the first time... was this man under a rock during college football season? trust who u want to trust fine by me

if you've been in the buisness for a long time u must be good... so he makes a mistakes sometimes... if u can predict a perfect mock draft and a perfect fit for any team i'll be surprised... remember this is also the guy that said stay away from blair thomas and ryan leaf...

and i'm sorry but ya i'd love to grab one of the top 5 linemen... but they all went off the board before we got to pick..

and to say nicks has more upside than rachal...
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

i'm glad ur listening to a guy who puts mendenhall over mcfadden... and brandon flowers as his #1 rated CB propsect and phillip wheeler isn't anywhere in his top 5 LB prospects but a guy named jo-lonn dumbar is... name what college he went to w/o googling him and i'll be surprised.. and also how dajuan morgan is his #1 rated safety....

one week ago mayock said he watched the BCS championship game for the first time... was this man under a rock during college football season? trust who u want to trust fine by me

if you've been in the buisness for a long time u must be good... so he makes a mistakes sometimes... if u can predict a perfect mock draft and a perfect fit for any team i'll be surprised... remember this is also the guy that said stay away from blair thomas and ryan leaf...

and i'm sorry but ya i'd love to grab one of the top 5 linemen... but they all went off the board before we got to pick..

and to say nicks has more upside than rachal...
Personally I would take Mendenhall and Stewart over McFadden. The masses thought Eggerin James being drafted ahead of Ricky Williams was crazy. Darrin Nelson and Gerald Riggs ahead of Marcus Allen ............anybody???

I dont like Flowers either that high. He looks like a pure cover 2 corner. As for Wheeler, I had to google him and found at NFL.com he is cited as having an "erratic senior season" so maybe he should be #6 and Dunbar #5???

The sour grapes I detect over DaJuan Morgan probably means you are a Kenny Philips pimp....right?? The U aint what it used to be and Phillips is not Sean Taylor, Bennie Blades or Ed Reed.

You may be right, but I happen to think not all of these guys will be gone by #23. (Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Brandon Albert, Gosder Cherilus).

Considering all the other great talent at CB, RB, DT, DE, OLB, WR in the first round I dont see that 25% of the first 22 picks will be O linemen.

Leave Rachal until the 2nd.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

I just found this mock draft of Kiper's......its from Jan 22. Its from before the Senior Bowl, so I expect his upcoming one in march to change quite a bit.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I have Chilo Rachal as one of the best two Guards but a second round pick
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;371752]
Quote:

Personally I would take Mendenhall and Stewart over McFadden. The masses thought Eggerin James being drafted ahead of Ricky Williams was crazy. Darrin Nelson and Gerald Riggs ahead of Marcus Allen ............anybody???

I dont like Flowers either that high. He looks like a pure cover 2 corner. As for Wheeler, I had to google him and found at NFL.com he is cited as having an "erratic senior season" so maybe he should be #6 and Dunbar #5???

The sour grapes I detect over DaJuan Morgan probably means you are a Kenny Philips pimp....right?? The U aint what it used to be and Phillips is not Sean Taylor, Bennie Blades or Ed Reed.

You may be right, but I happen to think not all of these guys will be gone by #23. (Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Brandon Albert, Gosder Cherilus).

Considering all the other great talent at CB, RB, DT, DE, OLB, WR in the first round I dont see that 25% of the first 22 picks will be O linemen.

Leave Rachal until the 2nd.
first of all mendenhall didn't become a full time starter until this year... he played behind a guy named pierre thomas who was an UDFA in last year's draft and now plays for NO...

i have sour grapes over kenny phillips and dajuan morgan? damn straight i do i honestly think if your to look at most mock drafts around the web 95-99% of them will have kenny phillips going before dajuan morgan...

hmm let's see teams with O-line as a NEED that pick b4 us: Miami, St. Louis, Atlanta, Oakland, Kansas City, Denver, Chicago, Detroit, Arizona, Houston, Philidelphia,

while i don't think all of them will take a O-lineman there's a possibility that otah, long, clady, williams nd ether cherilus/baker are taken before we pick...
Old 03-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
Lukin83
Water Boy

Member Number: 2692

[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

and brandon flowers as his #1 rated CB propsect
At least 10 NFL GMs have been quoted as saying Flowers is the best CB in the draft. Just thought you should know.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

[QUOTE=Lukin83;371863]
Quote:

At least 10 NFL GMs have been quoted as saying Flowers is the best CB in the draft. Just thought you should know.

Thats only because they will not pay extra to be an ESPN insider and are watching Mayock on the NFL network for free