Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Tailgate Party > Recipes


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend
 
83-Steelers-43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,993
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Salmon?

So I ordered a few cuts from the Omaha Steak Company. Never cooked salmon before in my life. Cooked many other type of fish, but never salmon. On the box it states that I can bake it, grill it or microwave (eww) it.

So I'm going to grill it. They state that you should grill on "medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side". Does that sound correct? For some reason, I feel that it should be grilled longer.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
__________________
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
floodcitygirl
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,752
Member Number: 1784
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Salmon?

I am not a huge fish fan but here are a couple of ideas from one of the best sources I know.

To grill: Leave the skin on. Put a little olive oil on the flesh side and put that side down on the grill first. When you flip it, let that side cook until the skin gets brown. It will literally fall off when finished. The flesh side will turn a different color on the edges. 4 minutes per side is probably not enough time on a grill, depending on whether you have steaks or fillets. You can use cajun spices on it as well or lemon spice if you prefer.

You can also pan sear: Just a little olive oil in the pan and heat till hot. Take the skin off and dust the fish with pan searing flour lightly. With this method, the 3 to 4 minutes per side is probably accurate.

You can also stuff and roll it: Baking dish with Pam or olive oil. Take off skin. Salt and pepper the fish. Use a crab meat mixture. (either just on top or stuff and roll it) Bake uncovered until done. You could even turn on the broiler for the last couple of minutes to brown the crab mix.
__________________


Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,041
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,573
Thanked 4,677 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default Re: Salmon?

Throw a little lemon on it too. If you grill it, oil the grill good or the fish sticks and you'll never get it off in one piece.

Another good way to grill or bake it is wrap it up in a tinfoil pouch with some veggies and a couple lemon slices or whatever you like.
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Salmon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
So I ordered a few cuts from the Omaha Steak Company. Never cooked salmon before in my life. Cooked many other type of fish, but never salmon. On the box it states that I can bake it, grill it or microwave (eww) it.

So I'm going to grill it. They state that you should grill on "medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side". Does that sound correct? For some reason, I feel that it should be grilled longer.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
lemon pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS

Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Preheat grill for medium heat.
Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the preheated grill, and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend
 
83-Steelers-43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,993
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Salmon?

Thanks NC, Bcrabt and LLT. I'll give them all a try. Your info is greatly appreciated.
__________________
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
floodcitygirl
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,752
Member Number: 1784
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Salmon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Thanks NC, Bcrabt and LLT. I'll give them all a try. Your info is greatly appreciated.
No problem from me either! lol! I'm sure it was just an oversight. It won't happen again.
__________________


Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter
 
Stlrs4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Bedford, Pa
Posts: 5,640
Gender: Male
Member Number: 419
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Salmon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
I am not a huge fish fan but here are a couple of ideas from one of the best sources I know.

To grill: Leave the skin on. Put a little olive oil on the flesh side and put that side down on the grill first. When you flip it, let that side cook until the skin gets brown. It will literally fall off when finished. The flesh side will turn a different color on the edges. 4 minutes per side is probably not enough time on a grill, depending on whether you have steaks or fillets. You can use cajun spices on it as well or lemon spice if you prefer.

You can also pan sear: Just a little olive oil in the pan and heat till hot. Take the skin off and dust the fish with pan searing flour lightly. With this method, the 3 to 4 minutes per side is probably accurate.

You can also stuff and roll it: Baking dish with Pam or olive oil. Take off skin. Salt and pepper the fish. Use a crab meat mixture. (either just on top or stuff and roll it) Bake uncovered until done. You could even turn on the broiler for the last couple of minutes to brown the crab mix.


That sounds awesome fcg. I grill it similiar.


I prefer my Salmon smoked though. Only way I eat it now. At the same time, I can not stand Salmon cakes though!
__________________

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
floodcitygirl
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,752
Member Number: 1784
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Salmon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
That sounds awesome fcg. I grill it similiar.


I prefer my Salmon smoked though. Only way I eat it now. At the same time, I can not stand Salmon cakes though!
Thanks Dom. Very much appreciated. Hope you'll give those ideas a try. Although my brother is 6'2, as Croatian, fair skinned and blonde, as I am, he is on the board of the Italian American Club in a city in NY. He does alot of the cooking for their functions. Those suggestions are from him. Please enjoy!
__________________


Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.

Last edited by floodcitygirl; 04-22-2007 at 01:10 AM.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,968
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 258
Thanked 1,785 Times in 893 Posts
Default Re: Salmon?

cut the salmon into filets and coat the meat with brown sugar.

Then add some soya sauce and put on the grill with the skin side down on a piece of foil for about 15 min and you get kind of a maple sugar glazed salmon with a hint of soy.

Its great.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts