Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Tailgate Party > Recipes

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Salmon?

So I ordered a few cuts from the Omaha Steak Company. Never cooked salmon before in my life. Cooked many other type of fish, but never salmon. On the box it states that I can bake it, grill it or microwave (eww) it.

So I'm going to grill it. They state that you should grill on "medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side". Does that sound correct? For some reason, I feel that it should be grilled longer.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: Salmon?

I am not a huge fish fan but here are a couple of ideas from one of the best sources I know.

To grill: Leave the skin on. Put a little olive oil on the flesh side and put that side down on the grill first. When you flip it, let that side cook until the skin gets brown. It will literally fall off when finished. The flesh side will turn a different color on the edges. 4 minutes per side is probably not enough time on a grill, depending on whether you have steaks or fillets. You can use cajun spices on it as well or lemon spice if you prefer.

You can also pan sear: Just a little olive oil in the pan and heat till hot. Take the skin off and dust the fish with pan searing flour lightly. With this method, the 3 to 4 minutes per side is probably accurate.

You can also stuff and roll it: Baking dish with Pam or olive oil. Take off skin. Salt and pepper the fish. Use a crab meat mixture. (either just on top or stuff and roll it) Bake uncovered until done. You could even turn on the broiler for the last couple of minutes to brown the crab mix.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,677 Times in 1,760 Posts

Throw a little lemon on it too. If you grill it, oil the grill good or the fish sticks and you'll never get it off in one piece.

Another good way to grill or bake it is wrap it up in a tinfoil pouch with some veggies and a couple lemon slices or whatever you like.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
So I ordered a few cuts from the Omaha Steak Company. Never cooked salmon before in my life. Cooked many other type of fish, but never salmon. On the box it states that I can bake it, grill it or microwave (eww) it.

So I'm going to grill it. They state that you should grill on "medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side". Does that sound correct? For some reason, I feel that it should be grilled longer.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
lemon pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS

Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Preheat grill for medium heat.
Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the preheated grill, and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Thanks NC, Bcrabt and LLT. I'll give them all a try. Your info is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Thanks NC, Bcrabt and LLT. I'll give them all a try. Your info is greatly appreciated.
No problem from me either! lol! I'm sure it was just an oversight. It won't happen again.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
I am not a huge fish fan but here are a couple of ideas from one of the best sources I know.

To grill: Leave the skin on. Put a little olive oil on the flesh side and put that side down on the grill first. When you flip it, let that side cook until the skin gets brown. It will literally fall off when finished. The flesh side will turn a different color on the edges. 4 minutes per side is probably not enough time on a grill, depending on whether you have steaks or fillets. You can use cajun spices on it as well or lemon spice if you prefer.

You can also pan sear: Just a little olive oil in the pan and heat till hot. Take the skin off and dust the fish with pan searing flour lightly. With this method, the 3 to 4 minutes per side is probably accurate.

You can also stuff and roll it: Baking dish with Pam or olive oil. Take off skin. Salt and pepper the fish. Use a crab meat mixture. (either just on top or stuff and roll it) Bake uncovered until done. You could even turn on the broiler for the last couple of minutes to brown the crab mix.

That sounds awesome fcg. I grill it similiar.

I prefer my Salmon smoked though. Only way I eat it now. At the same time, I can not stand Salmon cakes though!

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
That sounds awesome fcg. I grill it similiar.

I prefer my Salmon smoked though. Only way I eat it now. At the same time, I can not stand Salmon cakes though!
Thanks Dom. Very much appreciated. Hope you'll give those ideas a try. Although my brother is 6'2, as Croatian, fair skinned and blonde, as I am, he is on the board of the Italian American Club in a city in NY. He does alot of the cooking for their functions. Those suggestions are from him. Please enjoy!

Last edited by floodcitygirl; 04-22-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,785 Times in 893 Posts

cut the salmon into filets and coat the meat with brown sugar.

Then add some soya sauce and put on the grill with the skin side down on a piece of foil for about 15 min and you get kind of a maple sugar glazed salmon with a hint of soy.

Its great.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote