Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234
Default Goodbye, Mr.Anderson?

Posted by Mary Kay Cabot, Plain Dealer Reporter February 28, 2008 11:34AM

The Browns have tendered quarterback Derek Anderson the high qualifying offer of $2.562 million as a restricted free agent Thursday, general manager Phil Savage said.

But the Browns still hope that Anderson accepts their three-year offer before he becomes available to other teams at 12:01 Friday morning. If a team signs Anderson, it would have to give the Browns a first- and third-round draft pick as compensation. The Browns would also have the right to match the offer.

Savage said he'd like to know before midnight Thursday if Anderson's salary will be on the books or not so the Browns know how much they have to spend in free agency. Their offer is believed to be about $20 million over three years with $10 million guaranteed.

Savage said if Anderson does not accept the Browns offer, it must mean he has a better deal in the works. At least eight NFL teams have quarterback issues this off-season and some might be willing to part with the picks for Anderson.

"I wouldn't say we'd take (the offer) off the table, but I think the offer would be impacted," said Savage of Anderson hitting the market. "I think if Derek wants to be a Brown and go forward, he can do that rather easily. If he explores the possibilities, he can do that also. I feel like we've put a really strong offer out there, and if he opts to do something else, that's his prerogative. He's earned that right."

If Anderson receives a lucrative multi-year deal such as the six-year, $67.5 million contract Tony Romo recently signed with Dallas, the Browns are not expected to match it. He also said the Browns would not accept less than a first- and third-round pick, "because we value the player."

The team is fully prepared to move forward with Brady Quinn as its starting quarterback, Savage said. "It's a pretty good profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterpit for a quarterback to be in," Savage said. "Derek capitalized on that last season. We think Brady will too. He's got all the ingredients to be successful. The Browns are in pretty good shape."

Savage said he's also becoming excited about the possibility of the Browns recouping the 2008 No. 1 pick they traded to Dallas last season to move up to the first round to select Quinn.

"We've talked about different scenarios," he said. "We could end up with more money to sign free agents and some extra picks. It's a win-win situation."

It might be time to say Hello to Brady Queer.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Goodbye, Mr.Anderson?

Derek Anderson can be a really good NFL QB.................................as long as he has absolutely stellar protection and isn't ever forced to ad lib. Currently, there are about 3 NFL teams that kind of protection, and he plays for one of them.

This guy will get rich if he leaves, but he'll be a giant bust.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think that the browns should just let him go and get the draft picks since that they alrdy have quinn.. there is no point having 2 big qb contracts

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,338 Times in 4,293 Posts

it is very sad that big bens contract will be based off of d. anderson, t. romo, and m. bulger (who i feel earned his).

its even sadder the steelers dont negotiate a little earlier for extensions with certain players (yes its a gamble, but it can save $$$ in the long run).

anderson is 24. if he were thrown in the draft, he would be the most polished, nfl ready qb out there = top 5 pick.

oddly enough, the browns didnt look at quinn as a top 5 pick.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Browns, QB Anderson can't reach a deal

BEREA, Ohio (AP) - The Cleveland Browns are poised to launch Plan B at quarterback.

B, for Brady, that is.

The club was unable to sign starter Derek Anderson to a three-year, $20 million contract — $10 million guaranteed — before Friday's 12:01 a.m. free agency deadline and are prepared to turn their high-powered offense over to Brady Quinn, a first-round pick from last year and fan favorite.

Teams can now negotiate with the 24-year-old Anderson, who went from backup to Pro Bowler in 2007. If Anderson accepts an offer, Savage said it would "make it extremely difficult" for the Browns to match it. The club would have seven says to do so.

Because of the high tender, if the Browns decide to let Anderson go, they'll receive first- and third-round picks as compensation in April's NFL draft.

Before the deadline, Savage said Anderson and his agents must have felt there was interest in him to risk turning down the Browns' offer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7830894/Browns,-QB-Anderson-can't-reach-a-deal

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well at least they would get a 1st and a 3rd rd pick.. and most likely if u look at the teams who really need a qb the 1st rd they would give up would be a nice one.. since cle doesn't have a 1st this yr.....

ALSO the brows are trying to aqcuire williams from the packers for a 2nd rd pick in this yrs draft

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
kmsteelerwr15
Team President

Location: going to school at Tusculum College but living in NC
Member Number: 1492

Anderson just agreed to the deal

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

The team had been negotiating a three-year, $20 million deal for Anderson.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The Browns have a TON of money resting on the QB position now. You don't pay a back-up Brady Quinn money, and you certainly don't pay a back-up almost 7 million a year. The Browns continue to amaze with their idiocy. They had a bunch of cap money, and they are rapidly pissing it away...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I feel that the Browns are going to use Anderson as trade bait come draft time.