Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
VTsteel
Starter

Member Number: 8161
Default Brownies gettin' big up front

It turns out Shaun Rogers is going to Ohio. It's just that he's becoming a member of the Browns, not the Bengals. After multiple media outlets earlier today said the Lions dealt the defensive tackle to Cincinnati, it was found out that the deal in fact was not yet complete. Now Rogers is headed to Cleveland in exchange for cornerback Leigh Bodden and the Browns' third-round pick, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

It's the second trade for a defensive tackle that the Browns have made today, as they already have acquired Corey Williams from Green Bay. Williams, 27, supposedly was taken off the free-agent market when the Packers gave him the franchise tag of $6.3 million. But they shied from investing long term in the fifth-year player and actively shopped him late in the week. The deal requires the Browns to sign Williams to a multiyear contract, and the cost will likely be steep. The middle of their defensive line will now be filled with about 700 pounds of girth.

These two guys are actually pretty good.
VTsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228
Default Re: Brownies gettin' big up front

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsteel View Post
It turns out Shaun Rogers is going to Ohio. It's just that he's becoming a member of the Browns, not the Bengals. After multiple media outlets earlier today said the Lions dealt the defensive tackle to Cincinnati, it was found out that the deal in fact was not yet complete. Now Rogers is headed to Cleveland in exchange for cornerback Leigh Bodden and the Browns' third-round pick, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

It's the second trade for a defensive tackle that the Browns have made today, as they already have acquired Corey Williams from Green Bay. Williams, 27, supposedly was taken off the free-agent market when the Packers gave him the franchise tag of $6.3 million. But they shied from investing long term in the fifth-year player and actively shopped him late in the week. The deal requires the Browns to sign Williams to a multiyear contract, and the cost will likely be steep. The middle of their defensive line will now be filled with about 700 pounds of girth.

These two guys are actually pretty good.
Wait, so, they traded their third for Shaun Rogers? And they traded their second for Corey Williams. And they traded their first to move up and get Quinn last year. So they're not drafting even drafting until Day Two, and they're skipping the third round at that? Let me first to say:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Newzfoxjr
Starter

Member Number: 4116

Still, that's a good DL. I think they could've been smarter about it, but eh.
Newzfoxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Oh absolutely, solid solid d-line. But if they don't win a Super Bowl in a few years they're gonna be looking at a sagging line with a potentially wasted draft year in 08. Build through the draft, supplement through FA. Or maybe I'm just bitter of big FA moves since I'm a Steelers fan
Old 03-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Nice line.....stupid moves.

Desperation doesn't look good on the Browns. Unless they can swindle someone out of a first day pick for Anderson, they're going to look really stupid.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Talked to some Brownies fans, who insists their intent to get Stallworth is sincere (not that this is anything official or what not).

Honestly this reeks of a Madden-esque pickup (talking about the video game). Which is fine, because you play a football game for maybe a total of three seasons, because afterwards you can't sign anyone and your team sucks. My buddies and I like to see which teams follow this trend, because year after year there's one team that stacks themselves through FA and trades and then sucks for the next few years because they went grandiose for a year or two.

Looks like the Brownies are doing it this year, if they can't work anything out to send Anderson or Quinn away for a high pick, either of which would be a major score for someone. Savage has said he wants to keep both players, but I can't see that being realistic if they want any longevity out of this year.

Sorry for being so spammy on this, I have a lot of Browns, Cowboys, and Titans friends We communicate nearly hourly during FA and all watch the draft together. My Browns fans all criticize the Cowboys fans for their FA antics, and this year they're bragging about their pickups

It can be rough being the lone diehard Steelers fan in our group with FA splashers like the Cowboys and, now, the Brownies, but draft day and the regular season makes up for it!

Please god let us sweep the Brownies again so I can get the last laugh!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Good move on Wiliams, but Rogers. Not sure. He's over weight and is lazy at times. We ned a good center now, that's for sure.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh_Fever View Post
Talked to some Brownies fans, who insists their intent to get Stallworth is sincere (not that this is anything official or what not).
The name Stallworth, on a Browns Jersey, is just wrong!!
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I agree these moves should improve the cleve brownies, but as Blitzburgh_Fever said they had better win now because their approach to the draft now looks very Daniel Snyder-ish.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

If they switched to the 4-3 base these moves would be excellent and they would have a great inside pass rush but....the 3-4 defense doesnt work well with pass rushing types of D-lineman, can you imagine Dwight Freeney in a 3-4 as a DE not a OLB? i cant. Not saying that rogers and williams will be bad but they wont get the full effect of these 2 great DT.