Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #71
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Browns Are Passing Steelers By

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
"Hey coach...Brady said you told him we were supposed to do drills in our jocks only....is that true?"
you are so bad LLT...lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #72
BigBen403
Water Boy

Member Number: 8031

I hate seeing the Browns fans all over chirping about their team. They make some flashy moves and all of a sudden they are taking the AFC North crown, come on. They are even invading the steelers team page on msn sports. I'm from Cleveland but I hate the fricking Clowns....
BigBen403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #73
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen403 View Post
I hate seeing the Browns fans all over chirping about their team. They make some flashy moves and all of a sudden they are taking the AFC North crown, come on. They are even invading the steelers team page on msn sports. I'm from Cleveland but I hate the fricking Clowns....
Ignore them. The same thing happens every year.

Cleveland makes a few big splashes in FA, while Pittsburgh watches by idly, Cleveland fans' heads get large and swelled, then the season starts.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #74
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

The bottom line in all of this is that they still need to play the games. I have only seen two teams since the FA period began that spent like crazy go anywhere significant....the 1994 49'ers that won it all and last years Patriots that fell short.

We have seen this act before in the 1999-2000 Jaguars that spent a ton and got nothing out of it but cap hell, nearly every single Redskins offseason since Danny took over, Denver has done very similar things in the past several years, and there are probably more.

IMO, the Browns have made two solid decisions this offseason and 2 very questionable one's:

Signing DA to an affordable contract was a good move. Not only is he tradable, but it is not a huge contract for a starting QB in case he takes it to a higher level next season.

The second good decision was getting Williams from Green Bay for a 2nd round draft pick. What they paid for a young DL that can pressure the QB is less than what Justin Smith got from San Fran and is probably worth the price they will get in production. He can play either a 3-4 or 4-3. I wish we could have signed him.

Rogers is a big gamble due to injury, attitude, and weight issues. He can be dominant if everything goes right for him. He could be just another guy on their roster if he doesn't have the 3 questionable items I mentioned earlier in check that will be nothing more than a rotation guy. Personally, I would have kept Lee Bodden and the draft picks instead of Rogers. Bodden is young, good, and fills a spot on Cleveland's roster where they are not deep. I would not have made this trade.

Donte Stallworth will be on their injury list with hamstring issues by week 3. They paid way too much money for a guy who is not only injury prone, but is an average receiver at best. He is nothing more than a deep threat. If he can't beat you deep, he can't do much in the middle of the field. If they were going to spend that kind of money, they should have signed Bryant Johnson from Arizona, who is younger, better, and not as injury prone.

Cleveland made their strides last season, but that was due to DA really having a season that they didn't expect. If I were a Browns fan, I would be looking at this season as the beginning of a 3 year window to get things done. The problem is that losing nearly every pick on Day 1 of this year's draft will eventually hurt this team because they will not have the young depth it will need to sustain after their window closes.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #75
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
The bottom line in all of this is that they still need to play the games. I have only seen two teams since the FA period began that spent like crazy go anywhere significant....the 1994 49'ers that won it all and last years Patriots that fell short.

We have seen this act before in the 1999-2000 Jaguars that spent a ton and got nothing out of it but cap hell, nearly every single Redskins offseason since Danny took over, Denver has done very similar things in the past several years, and there are probably more.

IMO, the Browns have made two solid decisions this offseason and 2 very questionable one's:

Signing DA to an affordable contract was a good move. Not only is he tradable, but it is not a huge contract for a starting QB in case he takes it to a higher level next season.

The second good decision was getting Williams from Green Bay for a 2nd round draft pick. What they paid for a young DL that can pressure the QB is less than what Justin Smith got from San Fran and is probably worth the price they will get in production. He can play either a 3-4 or 4-3. I wish we could have signed him.

Rogers is a big gamble due to injury, attitude, and weight issues. He can be dominant if everything goes right for him. He could be just another guy on their roster if he doesn't have the 3 questionable items I mentioned earlier in check that will be nothing more than a rotation guy. Personally, I would have kept Lee Bodden and the draft picks instead of Rogers. Bodden is young, good, and fills a spot on Cleveland's roster where they are not deep. I would not have made this trade.

Donte Stallworth will be on their injury list with hamstring issues by week 3. They paid way too much money for a guy who is not only injury prone, but is an average receiver at best. He is nothing more than a deep threat. If he can't beat you deep, he can't do much in the middle of the field. If they were going to spend that kind of money, they should have signed Bryant Johnson from Arizona, who is younger, better, and not as injury prone.

Cleveland made their strides last season, but that was due to DA really having a season that they didn't expect. If I were a Browns fan, I would be looking at this season as the beginning of a 3 year window to get things done. The problem is that losing nearly every pick on Day 1 of this year's draft will eventually hurt this team because they will not have the young depth it will need to sustain after their window closes.
Very solid post.....I agree with everything said in this post....The Browns are mortgaging the future for the present.....But their window is open right now so really they had no choice but to try to make a huge impact this off-season....In the NFL the window can close fast....Just look at the Bears who made the Super Bowl in 06...lol It appears their window has shut not even two seasons yet removed from a Super Bowl trip...Their offense is in shambles...Sorry to mention the Bears in a Browns thread but just using an example on how a teams window can close so fast in todays NFL....

The Browns are better on paper and games are not won on paper....But with the Steelers tough schedule in 08 and the Browns improving their DL which I don't want to think about their DL against our sorry OL right now...lol I won't be shocked if the Browns win the AFC North in 2008.....

I do think the Browns have to ditch Anderson though....He is a stiff and that Steelers/Browns game in Pittsburgh proved that...They had to bring him back just in case Quinn isn't ready yet....But they traded back in the first round of the 07 draft for Quinn so in their minds he is their guy...Anderson is just an insurance policy....

This upcoming draft for the Steelers is huge...They needed to at least spend 2-3 picks on their OL and DL....Plus they need players that can hopefully play right away.....especially along the OL.....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #76
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

the brown fans have to have something good to talk about. b/c when it comes to playing they usually blow it.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #77
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen403 View Post
its ok.. let them invade the boards and talk trash in march.. we'll do the same after we whoop them twice again next season.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #78
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
Donte a avg to below avg WR at best. Shaun oops I have to sit out 2 more sets because I have always been out of shape.. Ya I see the browns passing us right by.. NOT.. Browns will be the browns..

You beat me to it, Stallworth ain't all that. And besides, the Browns still have a FAT B@STARD-Head Coach. I'm certain that Tomlin will always work harder than Rome Croissant.

I'll say it again, "Fat Head Coaches" are not as successful as height/weight proportionate head coaches. If you care to investigate, look at the 42 Super Bowl champion head coaches. The vast majority of them are height/weight proportionate.

If you take offense to my "FAT" reference, well too bad. The facts are the facts.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #79
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
You beat me to it, Stallworth ain't all that. And besides, the Browns still have a FAT B@STARD-Head Coach. I'm certain that Tomlin will always work harder than Rome Croissant.

I'll say it again, "Fat Head Coaches" are not as successful as height/weight proportionate head coaches. If you care to investigate, look at the 42 Super Bowl champion head coaches. The vast majority of them are height/weight proportionate.

If you take offense to my "FAT" reference, well too bad. The facts are the facts.
I can't tell if you're serious or not...
Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #80
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Let the new reign of AFC North Favorites Begin Folks.. Yep, you heard it hear 1st. The Browns are improving as we speak. Stallworth added at WR and the 2 massive DL coming over from the Packers. The Steelers are gonna stand pat and let the division slip away. If the Steelers are gonna keep a hold of the division this upcoming '08 season they must improve their O Line and defensive line as well. I am not trying to be unSteeler like folks, but if the Steelers dont improve these areas I honestly believe that we are gonna get passed by by the upcoming young Browns.

Love your use of Sarcasm.

its the Browns...

Once again...I FEAR NOT THE BROWNS...how about they win a freaking Playoff game sometime this Century before we crown them AFC North Champs.

As I've said plenty of times before, the AFC North belongs to the Steelers. Each year someone tries to take it...from the Steelers.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote