Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Browns flushing themselves?

sorry for the pun...

I was thinking about the salary cap and how the browns are sign crazy(they must of got new steelers ball point pens and had to use them). But lets just think about this in a mathmatical fashion, shall we? (#s arent exact)

Derrek Anderson-$8 million
Corey Williams---$7 million
Shaun Rogers----$8 million after resigned
Donte Stallworth-$6 million or so

4 players = $29 million, out of the $108 million or so available(idk).....

If a browns fan says something about their new players just tell them to wait 2-3 years and we will see if their players are even on the team. Quick fixes are for crack heads and flat tires, not for an NFL franchise.

I have friends that are browns fans that tell me how accurate Derrek is, and how young Willie McGinest is, o...o and how Kellen Winslow is just as good at blocking as he is a reciever, folks..i got to tell ya..kellen is a reciever...when do you see him make a great block? Great hands and excellent speed, blocking...eh..no. My point is that the browns are going to be like the well...browns in about 2 or so seasons because they are going to be in the situation where they will have to trade or release their beloved players because of cap space. the thing is that their recieving core might be strong, and their D-line might be big, but what about their LBs, DBs, RB depth, what about their OL, in 3 yrs their might not be a 12 sack year for them. Im just putting their news into perspective....please respond, agreement or not.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228
Default Re: Browns flushing themselves?

ummm.... sure.... DA can't throw an accurate pass, winslow can't block, but they still managed to make the pro bowl, McG is old man winter, but his experience has helped the young LB crew. as far as cap space, we came into free agency with around 39 million.... one of the few teams that had that much... sheesh... i guess they should just save it for a rainy day? well, as a browns fan, i can't complain... things could be worse!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Not trying to piss browns fans off just trying to put their spending into perspective. See, the thing is that you guys have a #1 reciever that will be on a $7 million dollar salary in Braylon Edwards also, not counting the fact that Winslows contract is almost up, that is another 7-8 million. You guys arent going to be able to keep it up is what im trying to say, so many have tried and maybe won the division, maybe won the afc, or even a superbowl. I dont know of a team that lurks through the FA and wins year in and year out unless the FAs they pick up are guys that are projects and can be signed for minimul contracts. no offense but kind of what the broncos did with all the failed browns lineman.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

The Browns obviously are loading up to try to unseat the Steelers in the AFC North for the next 2 seasons - just as the Ravens and the Bungles did before them. And they very well may do that. But even though they will likely score a lot of points, they are still going to give up a LOT of yards, especially through the air since they will be better at stopping the run, and will in turn still give up quite a few points. We'll see how it works out for them though.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Sorry, but the whole Derrek Anderson making the probowl was garbage. He had the bottem 5 worst QB rating for starters in the league, he threw for around 55% completion and threw 19 or so INTs. How is that a probowl year? I can tell you, its because him and the browns were overhyped. Browns had a fantastic year and improved dirastically but how many games did they squeek by? Ill admit the steelers had a skeptical season, but they also werent believed to be better than the browns even though they beat them twice.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

The Clowns have improved their team immensely so far and will definitely challenge us for AFC North supremacy.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
j-dawg
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
Sorry, but the whole Derrek Anderson making the probowl was garbage. He had the bottem 5 worst QB rating for starters in the league, he threw for around 55% completion and threw 19 or so INTs. How is that a probowl year?
Hey, Trent Dilfer won a superbowl!! As long as the Anderson is getting the W, I could care less about the quarterback rating.

Quote:
I can tell you, its because him and the browns were overhyped. Browns had a fantastic year and improved dirastically but how many games did they squeek by? Ill admit the steelers had a skeptical season, but they also werent believed to be better than the browns even though they beat them twice.
yeah.. i have to agree, the browns are overhyped just look what mort said here...
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2459789

I totally disagree that the media percieved them as "better" than the steelers though... of all the teams that played the patriots last year, the steelers were one of the few teams that many media critics deemed fit to beat them.

in comparison the browns put up a better game than the steelers.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Derrick Anderson's pro bowl was a farce. You know who should have been the first alternate?

I'll give you some hints: he didn't have the gaudy pass yards and td numbers, but he did have a lower amount of INT's (matter of fact, he threw less INT's than the Great One Tom Brady), his team made the playoffs, and he had a higher QB rating and completion percentage than DA.

The answer: David Garrard of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

No. No. No.

You don't get it at all.

Cleveland will rule the AFC North Next year, Pittsburgh will suck, Ben Roethlisberger is a flash in the pan, and Derek Anderson is a future hall-of-famer. *Sarcasm*

Cleveland will be a challenge next year, but they better win now. We have all seen what happens if you sell out to win and mess up.

As for this Steelers fan, I'll wait until April.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
j-dawg
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
No. No. No.

You don't get it at all.

Cleveland will rule the AFC North Next year, Pittsburgh will suck, Ben Roethlisberger is a flash in the pan, and Derek Anderson is a future hall-of-famer. *Sarcasm*

If this were Madden, I'd be worried. But this is real life.
i don't get it... i haven't read anywhere that pittsburgh will suck or ben was a flash in the pan. they're still the afcn champs in my book.