Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: O-Line Future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
OK, you guys preach, I'll teach.

Quote:
Stapleton, someone none of you have ever seen play, is a nobody . To say you want him starting is a joke.
and you know this because..........

sorry to see your post this way , but it seems to me you think you know more than everyone else, if not well....

no one knows what the line will look like , we're just giving our predictions, theres no reason to say a guy that hasn't even played is a joke
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
RJC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6896

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post

and you know this because..........

sorry to see your post this way , but it seems to me you think you know more than everyone else, if not well....

no one knows what the line will look like , we're just giving our predictions, theres no reason to say a guy that hasn't even played is a joke

Let me explain this to you. Stapleton is a 285lb C. That's way undersized for a guy who plays in the AFC where there's guys like Shaun Rogers, Haloti Ngata, Kelly Gregg, John Henderson, Marcus Stroud, Dwayne Robertson, Vince Wilfork, Jason Ferguson, Jamal Williams all reside. You can't have a C that is outweighed by 50 lbs by opposing NTs. You just can't . THE END~
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Let me explain this to you. Stapleton is a 285lb C. That's way undersized for a guy who plays in the AFC where there's guys like Shaun Rogers, Haloti Ngata, Kelly Gregg, John Henderson, Marcus Stroud, Dwayne Robertson, Vince Wilfork, Jason Ferguson, Jamal Williams all reside. You can't have a C that is outweighed by 50 lbs by opposing NTs. You just can't . THE END~

Maybe you should phone the Steelers and explain it to them since they seemed to have enough faith in Stapleton's ability last season to keep him on the roster. And I don't think he was kept strictly as a guard, since we released 2 centers (Chucky and Marvin Phillip -who came back on the practice squad, I believe) at the beginning of last year. Also, seriously how hard is it to gain twenty pounds as a professional athlete? Kiesel lost weight when he was special team?s player and then bulked back up to play DE. Heck, Casey Hampton gains ten pounds at lunch.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #14
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
alright,we'll see, I seem to remember a back on the steelers everyone thought was too small.......

people can surprise you, willie certainly did

if Stapleton gets cut then yes , he's a joke, but so far we'll just have to wait and see what happens.......
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Starks I believe is a really great LT hiding over at RT were he does not belong.. and Steelers are talking about starting Starks at LT. Smith can play backup until he is gone.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
Starks I believe is a really great LT hiding over at RT were he does not belong.. and Steelers are talking about starting Starks at LT. Smith can play backup until he is gone.
Yep... or move him to the right and see if he can do anything over there.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,332 Posts

Quote:
OK, you guys preach, I'll teach. Stapleton, someone none of you have ever seen play, is a nobody. To say you want him starting is a joke. The OL should go as follows:

LT-Marvel Smith(Established LT for 1 more year)
LG-Chris Kemoeatu(A huge mauling, physical run blocker)
C-Kendall Simmons(Has the athleticism to play in the middle. Can also pull.)
RG-Willie Colon(Tough guy, but lousy in space. Plays better in the "phone booth")
RT-Max Starks(An established former starter with a Super Bowl ring on his resume.)

Draft 2-3 OL from the 2nd round on for depth.
OK, but then you should "teach" Simmons to shotgun snap and snap, then pull as well.

Have you ever done it in a game at any level?? If you have, then you would know the feeling of snapping low or over a QB's head and how it messes up the play.

I like the idea, but if this was possible it would have happened last year instead of signing Mahan who was released by the Bucs. Simmons is a Guard and Stapleton may have been in the Gym, so he has a shot. I still think we draft a top center in '09
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #18
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
OK, you guys preach, I'll teach. .
Please tell me you didnt post that!!! I'm embarrased for you.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #19
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Yep... or move him to the right and see if he can do anything over there.
Smith would be fine at RT...He started out as a RT and I have said for years that Smith is better suited for RT and the Steelers needed to find a true LT....But that LT is not Max Starks...lol I don't know why people think he is the answer...Starks was very inconsistent as a RT....I know Starks looked alright last year the few times he played at LT last year after Smith went down....But thats not enough for me to think Starks is the answer and I don't expect much from Max....Keep in mind when Starks was in there two of those games was in the slop fest at Heinz....lol Those conditions slow down pass rushers which greatly helped Max.....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Smith would be fine at RT...He started out as a RT and I have said for years that Smith is better suited for RT and the Steelers needed to find a true LT....But that LT is not Max Starks...lol I don't know why people think he is the answer...Starks was very inconsistent as a RT....I know Starks looked alright last year the few times he played at LT last year after Smith went down....But thats not enough for me to think Starks is the answer and I don't expect much from Max....Keep in mind when Starks was in there two of those games was in the slop fest at Heinz....lol Those conditions slow down pass rushers which greatly helped Max.....
I completely agree on Starks. He has a couple games at LT because of injury to Smith and in that swamp of a field he looked good. I dont know that he is the long term answer at LT.

Smith however is a much better LT when healthy, but the back issues are a concern. Either way, he wont get a large 3rd contract and will end up leaving in Free Agency after this season like Faneca, Wayne Gandy, John Jackson, Leon Searcy etc. did before him.

One of the tackles will be drafted this year by the Steelers. Otah, Williams, Nicks, Benedict, etc.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote