Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-09-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255
Default Eight reasons why Pittsburgh won't draft a tackle with the 23rd pick

realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21462.html

Can't post link yet, but add www and you can figure it out......
Let the discussion begin!
steelymcmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Eight reasons why Pittsburgh won't draft a tackle with the 23rd pick

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21462.html

Quote:
Here are eight reasons why the Steelers won't take a tackle at No. 23 on April 26.

1. There won't be one available at No. 23 who will be worth the No. 23 pick.

Clady, Long and Williams won't be there. The next few top prospects -- Jeff Otah, Sam Baker and Gosder Cherilus -- are not worth that high of a selection. There's no rule that says your tackles have to be first-round picks. It's hard to complain about the Steelers' current starting LT, Marvel Smith, a second-round selection in 2000.

The Steelers should know the consequences of drafting a player higher than his ability indicates. In 1999, GM Tom Donahoe said his team's biggest need was at wide receiver. Because Ohio State's David Boston and NC State's Torry Holt were not available, Donahoe decided to select Louisiana Tech's Troy Edwards. Edwards is infamously known as the worst first-round pick the team has made in over a decade, and he's direct evidence of what happens when a team lets its needs supersede the player's ability.

If a tackle is not worth the No. 23 pick, then one should not be taken.

2. Cherilus has been high on the Steelers' board.

Just because Boston College's Cherilus isn't going to be a first-round pick doesn't mean he's not going to be an outstanding NFL tackle. The draft rewards rarity; the more rare a prospect is, the higher he'll be drafted. Because the draft is so laden with high-potential tackles, a few of them are going to slide to the second round. Cherilus is still an elite prospect. If the Steelers are targeting him, they know they can make a move in the second round to get him.

3. The problems the Steelers had on the offensive line were at guard and center, not tackle.

The loss of Alan Faneca is the key element on the line. No one is suggesting his ability will be replaced, but the guard position is more of a priority now, considering the second-round tender the Steelers gave G Chris Kemoeatu, and the transition tag (and eventual contract extension) given to T Max Starks. These moves give the Steelers some flexibility. There is still a possibility starting RT Willie Colon will be moved to RG, and Starks could return to RT, the position he started at when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL.

4. The Steelers have to sleep in the bed they made.

Re-signing Starks is a requirement now. The Steelers cannot afford the $6.8 million cap hit the team will take if Starks signs the transition tender. A long-term deal now is in both the Steelers' and Starks' best interest. If the Steelers sign Starks to a long-term deal, it's only logical to assume they want him to start. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians may not agree (he was behind Starks' benching for Colon in the first place), but it's not in his best career interest to not play a veteran in whom the team just invested several million dollars. Bringing in another high-priority tackle with the 23rd overall selection is only going to appear as if the team is spinning its wheels. Pittsburgh can address other needs if it is prepared to make Starks a long-term answer to the tackle position.

5. The Brady Quinn theory.

Put simply, this theory states quality quarterback prospects will fall to the later parts of the first round because teams have recently invested high picks in the position. This decreased demand pushes good prospects down in the first round.

The best example is Quinn in 2007. He was rated as a top-10 prospect, but he fell mostly because the teams in the first half of the draft had recently selected a quarterback high in recent years. When Miami - the only team picking between two and 10 that logically would have taken a QB - passed on him, there was no one willing to break Quinn's free-fall until the mid-20s.

Browns GM Phil Savage traded back into the first round with Dallas (No. 22 overall) to take Quinn.

This year, Boston College's Matt Ryan is the top QB prospect. Because there are not many discernible differences between Louisville's Brian Brohm, Michigan's Chad Henne and Delaware's Joe Flacco, teams like Chicago, Baltimore or Carolina are not likely to invest their first-round pick in one of them if the other two, and Andre Woodson, could be available in the second round.

The Steelers are in a prime position to benefit from this theory. Teams like Carolina or Chicago may be interested in trading back into the first round to get one of the three remaining QBs and not take their chances of another club beating them to the punch.

6. A team can never have too many good CBs.

Steelers veteran Deshea Townsend is going into his 11th season. While Townsend has quietly had a very productive career, depth at this position is something that should always be considered. Nickel back Bryant McFadden is in the final year of his contract, and in three seasons with the team, he has yet to beat out Townsend for the starting corner position opposite Ike Taylor. That doesn't exactly guarantee him an extension in the offseason of 2009. William Gay did a decent job in spots and on special teams, but the Steelers don't have any depth with experience behind him.

It's reasonable to assume Tennessee State's Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will be available at No. 23. Getting back to value, there aren't too many corners in the NFL -- let alone the draft -- who stand 6-foot-2 and can run a 4.33 40 with the quickness and recovery speed that Rodgers-Cromartie has. Any team would be happy to find a way to get him on the field.

7. Picking early in the last third of the draft provides opportunity to grab a steal.

Let's keep in mind: Teams that draft consistently in the top 15 are there for a reason. A team that maximizes its overall ability is a team that recognize a top-15 talent in the mid-20s.

Players like Kansas City's Dwayne Bowe and the New York Giants' Aaron Ross were taken with later first-round picks last year, and they turned out to be two of the best rookies in the game. In 2005, New England took Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins with the last pick in the first round, and Dallas grabbed Pro Bowl defensive end Marcus Spears with the 20th pick. Drafting in the last third of the first round gives teams a chance to jump on an excellent prospect who simply may have fallen because of the mistakes of teams drafting ahead of them. Not going into the draft with an agenda gives the Steelers an objective mindset to see very good prospects slide to them.

8. The Steelers are deep enough to trade up.

Just because they don't have to take a tackle at 23 doesn't mean it's not a good idea to take one at, say, 17. If a tackle with the ability of Clady or Williams slides a little bit, don't think the Steelers won't pull the trigger to move up. In 2003, USC safety Troy Polamalu was on the board at No. 16 when Kansas City was on the clock. The Steelers were coming off a 10-5-1 season, and they had the ability to win that year. They traded their first-, second- and fourth-round picks to the Chiefs to get Polamalu at 16. The Chiefs took Penn State RB Larry Johnson at the Steelers' 29th overall choice and no one worthy of mention with the other picks.

The Steelers also traded up with the Giants in 2006 for WR Santonio Holmes. He led the NFL in yards per catch (18.1) in 2007.

Who got the better end of those deals? Polamalu is one of the best defensive players in the league, and he has been invaluable to the team over the past five seasons. Holmes was the first Steeler to out-produce Hines Ward since 2000. If Clady has that sort of transcendent ability, the Steelers have enough ability already in place to sacrifice picks to move up and take him.

It worked very well twice in the past five years.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Eight reasons why Pittsburgh won't draft a tackle with the 23rd pick

I understand where the writer is coming from and I think several of us have made the same point...especially in not reaching for a Tackle if there are none left that warrant a first round pick.

In my current draft I have us taking Otah...( word is that his poor combine performance was due to an ankle sprain)...and I have us taking a CB in round two...but with the depth at OT, I could easily see those two picks being switched...with us taking a CB in the first and an OT like Cherilus in the second round ....or even trading down in the second for extra picks and grabbing a player like Heath Benedict who is versatile enough to play Tackle or Guard.

Gawd, I love the draft...the possibilities are endless.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

1. There won't be one available at No. 23 who will be worth the No. 23 pick.
I think this is correct. Long, Clady, Williams and Otah will be gone.

2. Cherilus has been high on the Steelers' board.
He is only 2nd value buty definitely pro potential and would look good in steeler uniform.

3. The problems the Steelers had on the offensive line were at guard and center, not tackle.

I agree partially. Center play was awful and guard was OK. The tackle positions looked better when Starks moved to the left. Max on the left and Marvel on the right looks the best option to me. With Faneca gone guard is a concern now. Center cant truly be addressed this year so the best area to address in the draft is guard and tackle

4. The Steelers have to sleep in the bed they made.
They appear to have two starters locked in at the tackle position for 2008. Competition from a first rounder will only occur if marvels back is gone.

5. The Brady Quinn theory.
I ilke this one alot. I would like to see a trade down to gain some extra picks in the second and third where some true value exists in the area of D line, CB and WR.

6. A team can never have too many good CBs.
Agree totally. We are one CB short and add to that a SS.

7. Picking early in the last third of the draft provides opportunity to grab a steal.
WIth some poor moves in the first half of the draft a true steal at CB, DE or RB may suddenly appear that is too good to pass up.

8. The Steelers are deep enough to trade up.
I dont know if they have enough draft picks to pull this off. It has proven to be a great strategy but this year does not seem to be quite right. Picks are needed to bring some youth in on the D line and depth at safety, CB and even WR not to mention some O line help. Every pick is needed this year unfortunately. We would have to rely heavily on UDFA's and the quality of our scouts to fill some holes if a trade up in on.

Some quick thoughts.
Great article steelymcmatt.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

Gawd, I love the draft...the possibilities are endless.
Im with you LLT.

The draft is what makes the NFL so much more enjoyable for me than the local football codes in Australia. The offseason is truly off down here and the only stuff to discuss is player indescretions. The NFL draft allows me to continue to stay connected with the game year round. It also allows one to dream and hope of improvement for the next season.

And it is also a great relaxant for my hyper mind. I think all us draft nuts have similar brains, ones that never turn off.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Im with you LLT.

The draft is what makes the NFL so much more enjoyable for me than the local football codes in Australia. The offseason is truly off down here and the only stuff to discuss is player indescretions. The NFL draft allows me to continue to stay connected with the game year round. It also allows one to dream and hope of improvement for the next season.

And it is also a great relaxant for my hyper mind. I think all us draft nuts have similar brains, ones that never turn off.
I'm so sick....I have literally spent hours looking at draft sites and magazines to try and nail players down to specific rounds....You are right on the money when you say its all about dream ing and hoping for improvement.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I really think the Steelers are going to address the D-Line first. Kiesel is getting up in age and Snack didn't exactly have his best year once Smith went down. So I would not be surprised if they go defense round 1.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255

Thanks for the help....wasnt sure if copying and pasting the whole article would be too much. Still trying to figure out the whole etiquite thing......thinking about taking lessons from Belicheat:)

What do you think about the idea of us taking Dominique Rodgers Cromartie? I LOVE this idea, just not sure he'll be available.....although I'd be more than willing to trade up as far as 15 to pick him up.
steelymcmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelymcmatt View Post
Thanks for the help....wasnt sure if copying and pasting the whole article would be too much. Still trying to figure out the whole etiquite thing......thinking about taking lessons from Belicheat:)

What do you think about the idea of us taking Dominique Rodgers Cromartie? I LOVE this idea, just not sure he'll be available.....although I'd be more than willing to trade up as far as 15 to pick him up.
Wouldnt trade up for him for him...but I wouldnt be dissapointed to see him in Black & Gold.

Patriots*...Ravens...Bills...Lions...Cardinals..an d Cowboys all have pretty substantial CB needs...I would rather wait to see who drops to us..or wait until 2nd round.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i could see drafting a very talented cb if the players we wanted are not there..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote