Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,317 Posts
Default Whats your guys take on Trevor Laws?

Just wondering what you draft experts think? He isnt much different in size than Ellis and is a playmaker, but I dont think he can play NT, he would have to be a DE in the 3-4.

I like his game, but not sure he fits the system well.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Whats your guys take on Trevor Laws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Just wondering what you draft experts think? He isnt much different in size than Ellis and is a playmaker, but I dont think he can play NT, he would have to be a DE in the 3-4.

I live 30 minutes from South Bend.......So I know about Trevor Laws....He had over 100 tackles this year for the Irish....Thats incredible for a DL....He has a high motor and I really like the kid....I think he could play the NT in a 3-4.......Maybe not a full time NT but fit into a rotation like Chris Hoke does....He might be able to play DE in a 3-4 but he doesn't have the typical HT you see in 3-4 DEs...But then again height could be over-rated....I think he is a player and if there in the 3rd round I wouldn't mind the Steelers taken a chance on him.....But then again he could get drafted in the 2nd....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,511 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

What is his size and height.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:

Trevor Laws, Notre Dame...6'0 304lbs...5.08 40 ......35 reps on the benchpress...2nd-3rd round projection

Had a solid combine and very good senior bowl. 3 year starter...really exploded this last year when he posted 112 tackles. 8 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries.

Lacks the strengh to be a NT in a Pro 3-4...but would be a very solid DT in a 4-3 front.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Trevor Laws, Notre Dame...6'0 304lbs...5.08 40 ......35 reps on the benchpress...2nd-3rd round projection

Had a solid combine and very good senior bowl. 3 year starter...really exploded this last year when he posted 112 tackles. 8 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries.

Lacks the strengh to be a NT in a Pro 3-4...but would be a very solid DT in a 4-3 front.
I just get a kick out of how Sedrick Ellis gets all the hype, but Laws is almost a clone and posted 112 tackles.

Ellis 6'1", 305 lbs, 34 reps at 225lbs, 5.24 40 yard dash

Laws, 6'3/4", 304 lbs, 35 reps at 225lbs, 5.08 40 yard dash. 30.5" vertical.

Again, I think the classic NT should be 320lbs or heavier and most 3-4 DE's are 6-3 or taller, but I really like Laws and would love to see him fit in somewhere to help put pressure on the QB from the D-line. I doubt it happens unless the plan is to switch to a 4-3 in a couple seasons.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

He's short, but has a great motor. Kind of like the Dan Klecko's son.. I just cant remember his name though.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
I just get a kick out of how Sedrick Ellis gets all the hype, but Laws is almost a clone and posted 112 tackles.

Ellis 6'1", 305 lbs, 34 reps at 225lbs, 5.24 40 yard dash

Laws, 6'3/4", 304 lbs, 35 reps at 225lbs, 5.08 40 yard dash. 30.5" vertical.

Again, I think the classic NT should be 320lbs or heavier and most 3-4 DE's are 6-3 or taller, but I really like Laws and would love to see him fit in somewhere to help put pressure on the QB from the D-line. I doubt it happens unless the plan is to switch to a 4-3 in a couple seasons.
I think the major difference between the two is strength.... a true 3-4 NT should be strong enough to take on two blockers....Laws is more of the 4-3 DT who will be a stud in the right program, but probably not a "Hampton" type of NT...which are few and far between.

That takes nothing away from Laws.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I think the major difference between the two is strength.... a true 3-4 NT should be strong enough to take on two blockers....Laws is more of the 4-3 DT who will be a stud in the right program, but probably not a "Hampton" type of NT...which are few and far between.

That takes nothing away from Laws.
Yeah, but Ellis is basically the same guy. He isnt any larger and I think doesnt fit the classic 3-4 NT, but some think he can do it. Ellis is probably a 4-3 DT as well.

Chris Hoke is 6'2" 305 and somehow can play the nose in relief. I would love to see Laws drafted and work into the rotation as a DE or NT on passing downs and either play full time as a DE in 3-4 or DT in 4-3.

I love guys that can just play......don't worry about the measureables....just produce.

Laws, Jordy Nelson, Jacob Hester, Mike Hart, Ray Rice, Pozluzny, Connor, etc.