Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: and with their 6th round pick, the Steelers select:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, I'm just thinking that with Bruce Arians at the controls, the day of a 245lb RB/FB here seem to be gone. I just keep thinking that he likes the 1 back sets with guys like Jamel White (Mewelde Moore) as his 3rd down backs, so a true FB is out of the question.

Felton would be a short yardage guy or Bettis-esque guy, but I dont know if BA is a believer in that.
That would be a shame....With FWP wearing guys down...Fulton would be money on short yardage plays.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,122 Times in 1,053 Posts

Yeah, Felton would be money and BA wouldnt even know it.... :)
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
dunkuntou
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4780

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Love Jacob Hester...I like Felton a little more due to pure strength..But Hester may actually be on more teams draft boards due to versatility.

Draft potential right now is between 5th round to Priority Free Agent
Thats a pretty big range and pretty much like saying he is worthy of a pick from 120-250 so thats pretty inaccurate.

He will probably be a 6th round pick. No higher than that because he doesn't have great speed, isn't that big or strong and won't make it as a lead blocker in the NFL

Hester is not worth using a pick on.

The Steelers have no need to draft a fullback
dunkuntou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

If we are going to take a small back, we might as well take the best back in the draft in Ray Rice, he has posted top rushing stats for the last 3 years and yet he is the 5th or 6th best back according to mock drafts...I believe he will be the next maurice jones-drew, but a better pure rusher.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkuntou View Post

Hester is not worth using a pick on.
That's like saying Steve Tasker or Sean Morey wasn't worth using a pick on.

Hester will be a great special teamer, while contributing as a pass receiver out of the backfield, a tough runner and an all around team leader for 8-10 years. Bank on it.

He's too slow, not big enough, not strong enough, but when LSU needed to close out Florida....he carried the ball and sealed the deal. I'll take that kind of guy on my team any day.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
If we are going to take a small back, we might as well take the best back in the draft in Ray Rice, he has posted top rushing stats for the last 3 years and yet he is the 5th or 6th best back according to mock drafts...I believe he will be the next maurice jones-drew, but a better pure rusher.
I like Rice's game, but with Parker, Moore, Russell......we dont need any more small running backs.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
dunkuntou
Draft Prospect

Quote:
That's like saying Steve Tasker or Sean Morey wasn't worth using a pick on.

Hester will be a great special teamer, while contributing as a pass receiver out of the backfield, a tough runner and an all around team leader for 8-10 years. Bank on it.

He's too slow, not big enough, not strong enough, but when LSU needed to close out Florida....he carried the ball and sealed the deal. I'll take that kind of guy on my team any day.
Comparing Jacob Hester to Steve Tasker and Sean Morey is stupid. He's never played special teams and just because he is a solid athlete that happens to play a skill position and is white doesn't mean he is going to be good on special teams. He isn't that tough of a runner either.

I am telling you that he isn't going to be a "team leader" for 8-10 years. He isn't going to make a significant impact in the NFL ever. He isn't big enough to play fullback, he's not strong enough to play fullback, he isn't fast enough to be a running back and he isn't big enough to be an H-back

He doesn't fit our team and isn't what we need.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
dunkuntou
Draft Prospect

Quote:
I like Rice's game, but with Parker, Moore, Russell......we dont need any more small running backs.
I agree but Gary Russell isn't that small. He weighs in around 215 and even Parker and Moore come close to the 210 mark.

With that being said there has been talk that Rice will be a late first round pick to early second and has jumped ahead of some guys.

I personally don't like him that high because he is so small
Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Everyone should get with the idea that we will NOT draft a running back. We just picked up Mewelde Moore!!!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkuntou View Post
Comparing Jacob Hester to Steve Tasker and Sean Morey is stupid. He's never played special teams and just because he is a solid athlete that happens to play a skill position and is white doesn't mean he is going to be good on special teams. He isn't that tough of a runner either.

I am telling you that he isn't going to be a "team leader" for 8-10 years. He isn't going to make a significant impact in the NFL ever. He isn't big enough to play fullback, he's not strong enough to play fullback, he isn't fast enough to be a running back and he isn't big enough to be an H-back

He doesn't fit our team and isn't what we need.
Actually the saying is "its better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Hester only played special teams since his freshman year

As a freshman and sophomore, he was mostly a blocker on offense, but he also made a name for himself as a fierce tackler on kick-coverage units....He continued to excel on the coverage units in 2005, twice being named the Tigers' Special Teams Player of the Week.

I dont care if he is white or not....its just the only good special teamers I could think of.

Hester garnered All-Southeastern Conference second-team honors in 2007. He took over halfback duties full-time, rushing for a career-high 1,103 yards and 12 touchdowns on 225 attempts (4.9-yard average).

I guess you are right. 2nd team all conference in that weak SEC means he cant be that strong of a runner.

And he probably wont contribute either. After all, I am sure you are a better talent scout than most NFL coaches and scouts.

Hester made a big impression on scouts during practices at the Senior Bowl. San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan said he would highly recommend Hester to anyone -- and maybe himself.

"He's an interesting guy," Nolan, the coach of the South team for the Senior Bowl game, said at a press conference following the last full practices for both teams. "Those kinds of guys typically play. They play for a good while, and they help teams win a lot of games."

Nolan said. "But what I've seen in college of him, a couple of things tell me that he will be that guy. Number one, I believe he was a key player on the national championship team. I would be shocked if he's not a damn good NFL player for that reason alone. I don't care what they say, I'll be shocked if he's not a damn good NFL player."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...hester?id=1365

His best asset is versatility -- he is a good north-south runner at halfback, efficient blocker on pulls and traps, solid receiver as an H-back and a determined tackler on special teams...Blue-collar type, he loves playing a variety of roles and gets high praise from the coaching staff for his work ethic...Has the work ethic that younger players try to emulate

Yeah, I guess you are right....this guy doesnt sound like he would suit the Steelers. Last thing we need is some guy with a good work ethic rubbing off on other players. Its a sign of poor leadership.