Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #21
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,302 Posts
Default Re: and with their 6th round pick, the Steelers select:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
Everyone should get with the idea that we will NOT draft a running back. We just picked up Mewelde Moore!!!
Exactly right.

Carey Davis needs some competition for camp though. I think he played his best football in the preseason and could easily be upgraded with a late round pick or UFA.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 AM   #22
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkuntou View Post
Thats a pretty big range and pretty much like saying he is worthy of a pick from 120-250 so thats pretty inaccurate.

He will probably be a 6th round pick. No higher than that because he doesn't have great speed, isn't that big or strong and won't make it as a lead blocker in the NFL

Hester is not worth using a pick on.

The Steelers have no need to draft a fullback
You propably need to research draft value boards....the value of players lowers towards the end of the draft ....so yea...it WOULD be accurate to say that the value between late rounders and PRIORITY free agents is pretty tight.

What I was saying is that I have seen Hester mentioned as high as 5th round and as low as an UDFA.... (ProFootballWeekly and Lindys rates him as 5th round....scoutnflexperts rate him as UDFA)... it was an observation...and its accurate.

Also if you would have checked you would see that he is on alot of draft boards as a tailback..not just a fullback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkuntou
Comparing Jacob Hester to Steve Tasker and Sean Morey is stupid. He's never played special teams and just because he is a solid athlete that happens to play a skill position and is white doesn't mean he is going to be good on special teams. He isn't that tough of a runner either

uh...yea....here is the stats from the LSU sports site:

CAREER
One of the most productive running backs to ever play for LSU ... Consummate team player who wore a variety of hats during his LSU career ... Brought a great attitude and work ethic to the field everyday ... Named a permanent team captain for the Tigers for the 2007 season ... A throwback player who gets the most out of his ability ... Played in 52 games during his career, starting 29 times ... Started 27 straight games at running back during his final two years with the Tigers ... Capped career with 1,780 yards rushing and 20 rushing touchdowns ... Added 60 receptions for 454 yards and seven scores ... The 60 receptions rank as the seventh most by a running back in school history ... Had best season as a senior, rushing for 1,103 yards and 12 scores ... The 1,103 rushing yards ranks as the ninth-highest total in school history ... Added 38 special teams tackles during his four years with the Tigers ... Participated in the Senior Bowl following the 2007 season.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...&Q_SEASON=2007

as El-Gonzo Jackson stated....he is the type of player to bring in IF he slide to a late pick or UDFA....and push Davis for a role.
But as I said...personally I Like Felton better in that role.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I think someone like FB Jerome Felton from Furman would be a nice pick here in the 6th round. Jacob Hester would be a nice mid to late round pick also out of LSU
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #24
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

how about j lemen from illinois. im seeing this as maybe not a starter but a solid backup and a star on special teams. this guy is a great leader never gets into trouble and coach ron zook says his work ethic is astounding. hes a perfect fit in the black and gold. the only reason he will be availabe is because he runs a 4.85 40. but he is about 6'3 and 255 pounds.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

the only thing i don't like about hester is that he is a small fb...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,302 Posts

I dont know that Arians system is friendly to a big back.

When I look back at the offenses he ran in Indy and Cleveland all I see are smaller RB's in a 1 back set.

The 2003 Browns roster has William Green, Lee Suggs, James Jackson, Jamel White and RJ Bowers was the only bug guy....but I dont remember him playing.

This makes me think they dont want a 255 lb Fullback and would rather have a midsized H-back.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #27
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

We need to cut Carey Davis, Dan Kreider, Billy Latsko, Verron Haynes and Justin Vincent to make room for Mewelde Moore, Matt Forte and Jacob Hester.... That would take us from 7 RBs to 6 with Willie, Dookie and Russell left.....Nice but ain't gonna happen!!!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #28
Steeldude
Living Legend

the guy would be camp fodder. the steelers signed moore who his roughly the same size, but faster. i would rather use the 6th pick on sleeper/project that had to do with the OL, DL or LB
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #29
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i wouldn't mind picking up a rb slash fb when they are not drafted and put them on the pratice squad.. but like what steeldude said take a shot on some other pos since we did sign moore

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #30
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
I think someone like FB Jerome Felton from Furman would be a nice pick here in the 6th round. Jacob Hester would be a nice mid to late round pick also out of LSU
There are a ton of players out there that I'd love to see the Steelers draft. That man is not one of them.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote