Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default McFadden wants to make Steelers pay

McFadden wants to make Steelers pay
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cornerback Bryant McFadden was the Steelers' second-round draft pick in 2005. McFadden is entering the final year of his contract and has retained the one and only Drew Rosenhaus to broker a new deal.
Be afraid Steelers fans, be very afraid.

McFadden's agent change is one of the most important developments facing the Steelers this offseason.

Rosenhaus is a squeaky wheel among NFL agents. He has a track record for bringing attention to himself and securing big money for his clients.

What does McFadden's hiring Rosenhaus have to do with the Steelers? Well, McFadden's signability could impact how the Steelers approach next month's draft.
If the Steelers plan to re-sign McFadden prior to the start of next season, they won't be forced to select a cornerback early in the draft.

If, on the other hand, the Steelers don't plan to re-sign McFadden before the start of next season -- remember, the club traditionally doesn't negotiate in season -- expect them to draft a cornerback relatively early, perhaps on the first day.

Among current Steelers cornerbacks, Ike Taylor, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, is signed through 2010. Deshea Townsend, the other starting corner, is signed through 2009, when he will be 34.

The other corners include William Gay, a fifth-round pick last year, and Anthony Madison, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

Ricardo Colclough, the team's second-round pick in 2004, was released last season, creating a vacancy at corner.

Changing agents is all well and good, but not even Rosenhaus can make the Steelers budge if the team doesn't believe that McFadden can beat out Townsend, who was a fourth-round pick in 1998.

McFadden was taken in the second round for a reason. The Steelers reward their players financially for their performance. They drafted McFadden believing he would become a starter.

The only players the Steelers pay on potential are their draft picks.

McFadden has appeared in 41 regular-season games with 10 starts. He has five career interceptions, including a 50-yard return for a touchdown against San Francisco last season.

McFadden's biggest problem in 2007 was not staying on the field. He missed three games because of a high ankle sprain, allowing Gay to receive valuable playing time at nickel back.

Hiring a new agent is one way for McFadden to get the new contract he's seeking. The best way is for McFadden to become the Steelers' starting right corner in 2008.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_557359.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
VTsteel
Starter

Member Number: 8161
Default Re: McFadden wants to make Steelers pay

This is an interesting one . . . We all knew that there was a probability that McFadden would be re-upping this off season. However, his move to obtain Rosenhaus throws light on his intention to probably be paid like a starter. If he beats out Townsend (which I kinda think he will) then he should be paid. I will be interested to see how this plays out exactly. . .
VTsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,571 Times in 1,510 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I don't see us breaking the bank on mcfadden I would like to keep him but not with a huge contract.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

I don't think we need to shell out big bucks for McFadden. I thought this kid had a ton of potential that he occasionally shows flashes of, but there are better corners we could nab for cheaper.

One of McFadden's problems is that he gets overly aggressive and draws pass interference calls in some really bad times.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,163 Times in 429 Posts

He's not worth a big-money contract. Next.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i think this may backfire on him.. especially by hiring Rosenhaus. and i am sure it will take the rooneys sometime to make back all that money they just let go into a big contract for the qb...lol....

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Prove to me that your able to beat out an aging Deshea Townsend first, then worry about your contract.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-15-2008 at 08:58 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I want the Steelers to pay as well. As a matter of fact, I want McFadden to become the CB that all his potential says he can be. This kid has the size, speed, and skills and nothing would make me happier than to see him really step up this season and take the reigns on the other side of Taylor.

Imagine that...the Pittsburgh Steelers with two stud CB's that are big, young, and fast.

Perhaps I am being overly optimistic that we could afford him if everything I wrote comes true, but I have always liked this kid and I really want to see him step up this season.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
He's not worth a big-money contract. Next.
Yup.

Dang, now this means the Steelers probably have to spend a top 3 pick on a CB since McFadden will be gone.

Rosenhaus is a piece of dirt.....remember when McGahee got drafted he pretended to talk to other teams on his cell during the pick to drive interest up on McGahee. "next question"
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234

If he wants a big contract he's not going to get it. I think even if this Drew thing never happened, we would've still been looking for a corner in rounds 1-3.