Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: Steelers' Max protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
All the transition tag is really, is Franchise Tag Lite. It makes it more difficult for Starks to shop his services because the team that signed him would have to give up a 3rd round pick as well as the contract and the Steelers have the right to match that contract as well.

If Starks agrees for a mid level contract, then the Steelers just match it and he assumes that contract, but the fact a team has to give up a pick also, means they wont give him something that big that the Steelers would not match.

Its kind of like how Chris Canty got the 1st round tender offer and nobody is gonna go after him despite the fact he is a great fit for a 3-4DE, but it means they give up their 1st round pick. In Canty's case he is getting a contract this year.

In Starks case, he has the tag and apparently its gonna get pulled and he will never see that $7 mil a season. Its kind of a restraint of trade issue.

I have a similar situation in that I have a non-competition clause in my employment contract and another company wants to offer me more $$ , but is worried about incurring legal costs by hiring me. I never wanted the clause, but if I didnt sign it I would not have got the job. So I kind of resent that my employment mobility has been restricted......just like Starks might.
There is no compensation due if Starks signs with another team. Steelers simply have the right to match any offer. There is no restriction on him signing elsewhere.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
There is no compensation due if Starks signs with another team. Steelers simply have the right to match any offer. There is no restriction on him signing elsewhere.
Yeah, I thought that too, but found this article that confused the issue. The author must either be referring to an older rule, or be mistaken.

Players who have been designated with a franchise or transition tag have the right to explore free agency, but their teams get the right of first refusal if they sign an offer sheet with someone else. If they choose not to sign that offer sheet, they are entitled to a third-round pick in lieu of the transition-tagged player, and two first-round selections for the franchise-tagged player.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21356.html

thanks,
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I think that article is wrong:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_553414.html

Quote:
If the Steelers do not match an offer that is made to Starks, they will receive no compensation if he signs elsewhere.
http://www.vikings.com/NewsArticle_f...erms21708.aspx

Quote:
Transition tag – The designation given to a player by his team to restrict movement via free agency. Generally, a team has one transition tag per year at its disposal. However, a team can use either the franchise tag or transition tag in a given year, not both. The team must pay the transition player a minimum of the average of the top ten salaries of last season at the player’s position or 120 percent of the player’s salary the previous year, whichever is greater. A transition designation gives the club a first refusal right to match within seven days of an offer sheet given to the player by another club. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

There is one other important note regarding the franchise and transition tags. If either tag is accepted by a given player, those contracts are guaranteed to the player. NFL contracts are generally not guaranteed, but if a player is designated a franchise or transition player, his one-year contract is guaranteed.

http://football.about.com/cs/footbal...hisetransi.htm
Quote:
transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22."
And finally from the Steelers official site:

http://news.steelers.com/article/87243/
Quote:
The most likely scenario in this case is Starks will receive an offer from another team that he finds acceptable, and then after the offers is presented to the Steelers they will have seven days to match it or lose Starks without any compensation.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 03-17-2008 at 03:57 PM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

If we can get him resigned before the draft i would be happy, 6.9 mil is around 4 mil more than a questionable backup should make.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

that article is def wrong b/c if u are slapped with a franchise tag u can't go shopping thru fA.. u are stuck with the team 4 another yr unless they trade or cut u.. and giving up comp picks only go for rfa.. transition tags means u have a chance to give him another offer if another team offered him a contract

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #16
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
If we can get him resigned before the draft i would be happy, 6.9 mil is around 4 mil more than a questionable backup should make.
Have to agree that we need to sign him before the draft.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
that article is def wrong b/c if u are slapped with a franchise tag u can't go shopping thru fA.. u are stuck with the team 4 another yr unless they trade or cut u.. and giving up comp picks only go for rfa.. transition tags means u have a chance to give him another offer if another team offered him a contract
Yes, if you are an "exclusive" Franchise tagged player you cant go shopping...but if you are a "non-exclusive " Franchise player then another team can sign you and the compensation is 2 first round picks.

If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player?s previous year?s salary, he becomes a ?non-exclusive? franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

http://football.about.com/cs/footbal...hisetransi.htm
Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

He will be back

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well if that is true i don;t think i have seen an "non-exclusive” franchise player... and i think if they can choose to do the 120% thing evry team would do that b/c it would a lot cheaper and they would let him go if someone offered him a better contract to get the 1st 2 picks in the draft

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Just google non-exclusive franchise tagged player and you will see a few. Here is a quote about Marcus Trufant being tagged as non exclusive.

Trufant was made a non-exclusive franchise player. That means the Seahawks will tender him a one-year offer worth a little bit less than $9.5 million. Trufant will be able to talk with other teams once free agency begins on Feb. 29, and he can sign an offer sheet, but the Seahawks would then have the right to either match the contract offer or receive two first-round picks as compensation from the team that gives him the offer sheet.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...ufant_nonexcl/