Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 03-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276
Default Justin King

UNIVERSITY PARK - Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert were at Penn State's pro day Tuesday, further fueling speculation that the team has a strong interest in cornerback Justin King.
"He worked out very well," was the most Colbert would say about King. But it was more than would be offered by Tomlin, who declined comment.

King, who declared for the NFL Draft after completing his junior season, was asked to assess the meaning of the strong Steelers presence. No other pro head coach was present.

"I don't know. You've got to ask them," King said.

Informed that Tomlin and Colbert weren't saying much, King smiled and said, "OK."
The most King would elaborate was to say, "I met with those guys, Coach Tomlin. Great meeting. And just go from there."

King's agent, Eric Metz, hopes the presence of the high-ranking Steelers was significant.

"I'd like to think so, being that we're (he and King) both Pittsburgh guys," Metz said. "He looked pretty good in black and gold in high school, so, you never know. Maybe lightning strikes twice."

The Arizona-based Metz graduated in 1979 from Gateway High School, where King played and Justin's stepfather, Terry Smith, is the football coach and athletic director.

King, who had been criticized for his play for the Lions in 2007, even though he was a first-team All-Big Ten selection by the coaches and media, has been projected as a late first-round or early second-round pick after tearing through a 4.31-second 40-yard timing at last month's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, the fastest for a defensive player.

"You hear a lot of (No.) 25 to 35 stuff, but teams haven't even finished their boards yet, so there's a ways to go," said Metz, who had the No. 1 overall pick, JaMarcus Russell, last season and numbers Steelers offensive lineman Kendall Simmons among his clients.

Metz said the Steelers, picking 23rd in the first round, and the San Diego Chargers, No. 27, are two teams seemingly most interested in King.

King didn't run a 40 yesterday but did participate in other drills.

"He wanted to re-test a couple of things," Metz said, adding, "When you get a head coach in here like Coach Tomlin and a general manager like Kevin Colbert right here, you want to show that you're an anytime, anywhere kind of guy."

Quarterback Anthony Morelli and linebacker Dan Connor also were among the 11 players going through the workouts at Penn State.

Connor hadn't worked out at the combine because of illness. He reported he ran 40s in the 4.6 range yesterday.

Asked to evaluate his overall workout, Connor asked, "One to 10? Like a 13."

Connor has been projected as possibly going in the second half of the first round, or early in the second.

Morelli, despite putting up record career numbers at Penn State, is trying to battle his way into the later rounds of the draft. He expects to accomplish that goal.

"All the coaches in there were talking about, 'You have all the tools. We're just going to get you in camp and work with you. The sky's the limit,' " Morelli said.

Morelli reported that he improved his 40-yard time to 4.9 and made improvements in other drills.

The speculation that he could go undrafted doesn't bother Morelli.

"You can't listen to all the experts. They're wrong every year," he said. "It's just whatever the coach needs at that certain time -- the best player available -- he's going to take that guy. Hopefully, someone needs a quarterback and I'm there when they want to pick one."

Colbert was certain Morelli would get chance to go to a pro camp, either as a draft pick or free agent, because of his outstanding arm and size.

"Absolutely. Plus, he was a productive guy at this level," Colbert said. "Everybody usually carries three and you've got to take four to camp, usually."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_557915.html
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206
Default Re: Justin King

That would be tight what are the chances?

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Dylan
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettisFan View Post
That would be tight what are the chances?

seeing that we just signed hartwig makes it seem more realistic, but who knows
Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

well yea but how long will he be available , i mean i say we go defense now but king wouldnt be our first choice.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Dylan
Starter

Quote:
well yea but how long will he be available , i mean i say we go defense now but king wouldnt be our first choice.

mel kiper has king projected to go to the chargers with pick 27. so we could get him. ran a 4.31 also, fastest among the d-backs
Old 03-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Wow i diddnt know his 40 time, i say we take him

Old 03-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Dylan
Starter

Quote:
Wow i diddnt know his 40 time, i say we take him

you just cant take a guy though based on his forty time
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Ok well that made me think of him higher he is highly ranked and should be available i think we should snag him

Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

im kinda tired of taking DBs in the first couple rounds year after year.. but king was a legit shut down corner at penn state. i dont see any reason why he cant translate that to the pros either. i want to get a stud tackle.. but if we arent confident in whoever is left in the draft, then i wouldnt mind taking someone like king.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234

I'm a Penn State fan. I always liked Justin King. He always reminded me a lot of Ike Taylor......though a D-lineman might be a better 1st round choice...but hey its the draft so you never know.
polamalu82 is offline   Reply With Quote