Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-03-2005, 12:03 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Ben says Yes.. Steelers and Docs say no

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05307/599791.stm

Big Ben questionable for Green Bay game
Thursday, November 03, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger has a knee injury serious enough to keep him out of the game Sunday in Green Bay. Let the lobbying begin.

Roethlisberger's doctors don't want him to play Sunday, and the Steelers' coaches don't believe he should, either, but Roethlisberger wants to play and will no doubt spend the rest of the week trying to convince coach Bill Cowher to start him against the Packers.

Cowher yesterday listed Roethlisberger as questionable for the game, but the coach declined to speak to the news media and provided no further information on the right knee injury Roethlisberger sustained in the Steelers' 20-19 victory Monday night against Baltimore at Heinz Field.

The preliminary diagnosis on the injury, Cowher said Tuesday before he had the results of the MRI, is a posterior capsule strain. The MRI turned up no damage to any of the four main ligaments in the knee, but the MRI did show some damage to or within the posterior capsule, which houses smaller ligaments and the meniscus.

Roethlisberger, who took every snap Monday night after he was injured on the first series, did not practice yesterday. Charlie Batch, who rose to No. 2 over Tommy Maddox two weeks ago, would start Sunday if Roethlisberger does not play.

"I always want to play," Roethlisberger said yesterday. "I want to be out there for the guys. I'm going to do everything I can to be healthy and be out there for them."

Roethlisberger said he, Cowher and team doctors will debate the issue before a decision is made later in the week.

"Obviously, the final decision comes down to coach Cowher. I will give him my opinion, the doctors will give him their opinion, but he's going to have the final say."

Roethlisberger could not convince Cowher to play him against Jacksonville Oct. 16 after his left knee was hyperextended the previous Monday in San Diego. He was listed as doubtful that week. The team listed him as questionable the week before the second game with a bruised right knee, but he played.

That's two injuries to his right knee and one to his left in less than half a season. Roethlisberger said he cannot afford to allow any worries about his future health to affect what he does now.

"You always worry about the future when it comes to injuries," he said, "but, for me, no, you live one day at a time. I always try to do everything I can to help the team because my thought is this year. I understand everyone always worries about longevity and a long career and this and that, but I'm living for this year right now."

Batch again will prepare as if he will start his first game in four seasons -- the previous came when he was still the starting quarterback for the Detroit Lions. He prepared to start against Jacksonville Oct. 16, but, as the week went on, Maddox convinced his coaches he had recovered from a calf injury that sidelined him the previous week.

A poor performance in that game against the Jaguars, combined with a shoulder injury, knocked Maddox to No. 3, where he has remained. Maddox is not on the injury list this week.

"Right now, it's too early to tell what's going to happen Sunday," Batch said of Roethlisberger's status. "He's young. He has those young bones, and he's able to recover a lot quicker than some people are."

Batch, a Homestead native who played at Steel Valley High School, started as a rookie in 1998 after the Lions made him a second-round draft pick from Eastern Michigan. He started 46 games in his first four seasons with the Lions. But Detroit had a change in management, and the Lions released him in June 2002. He signed with the Steelers shortly after, but has played briefly in only four games for them, missing last season with a knee injury.

"It's been awhile, so, yes, I am eager to [play]. It's just one of those deals right now. You just have to take the situation for what it's worth. A couple of weeks ago, I was preparing as if I was going to play. That didn't happen. I was a little disappointed from that aspect, but now we're kind of in the same situation, not knowing.

"I think y'all will kind of get an indication as you watch practice and whether or not Ben is out there. Until coach Cowher verifies whether I'm the starter or not, that's kind of where we'll go."
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Ben says Yes.. Steelers and Docs say no

well if he can't go and maddox plays, al harris (from THE texas a&m kingsville) will have a career high in interceptions lol. damn it batch better get a shot at starting
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Batch will play if Ben can't go...he's 2nd on every depth chart out there (except, of course, the official board, which is always running about 3 weeks behind). If Batch struggles,and the game is on the line, we need to bring Ben in off the bench. We can't afford to take 2 losses due to poor QB play.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

mute point now..Batch starer, Tommy is the backup..
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote