Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts
Default injury update on big ben/ why the injuries?

as heard on sirius radio. the wrist is a muscle strain that comes from the over use of the forearm. the right knee will have a mri today and his status for next weeks game will probably be released tomorrow.

by no means is ben soft, fragile, injury prone, etc. in fact id say hes one of the toughest qb's out there. he just takes one hell of a beating everytime he plays it seems. i dont think its from a lack of line protection. i would compare his style of play with d. mcnabb or s. mcnair as opposed to p. manning or t. brady.

why do you think he gets dinged up so often? is there something he can do different or is it just a bad stroke of luck? not to be lost is the fact that ben is the 2nd best passer in the league when throwing under duress or contact.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
BurghThing
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 747
Default Re: injury update on big ben/ why the injuries?

Because our offensive line can't pass protect.
BurghThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,831 Posts

I think Ben is tougher to bring down than almost all other QBs and because of that takes more hits before he is brought down (as Madden said last night, Bradshaw was another tough one to bring down with the initial hit and had the lost games to show for it earlier in his career).

Although he obviously not the runner Mike Vick is, both Vick and Ben get hit more than Peyton Manning or Brady - more hits = more dings = more potential for getting seriously hit.

Aches and pains do not get better without rest (hence the importance of getting the playoff bye) - Cowher needs to decide whether to gamble and sit Ben (even if he is somewhat capable of playing) and give Batch his first start in years at Lambeau this Sunday.

Long term goals are the key - if you lose the playoff bye because you lost a road game against a mediocre team while resting Ben is it worth the risk?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger's left knee injury apparently isn't serious, but Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher wasn't ready to say if his quarterback will be ready to play Sunday in Green Bay.

Roethlisberger underwent an MRI exam Tuesday, about 12 hours after the Steelers' 20-19 victory over Baltimore, and was given a preliminary diagnosis of a strained posterior capsule. The injury affects the range of motion of the knee and can be very painful.

"All ligaments are fine, and we'll get a further update as the week goes on," Cowher said Tuesday. "There's nothing serious coming out of the game as we speak. ... Hopefully it's something he can continue to work through, and we'll rest him when we can and see where he is at the end of the week."

link.......... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2210331
Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Hopefully, Ben will be okay. Seems like he has had a lot of bad luck in the injury department so far this season.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
Steel - X
Team Captain

Member Number: 583

Lets hope if he is injured and can not play that Cowher gives Batch the start over Maddox. Please Ben be healthy.

My Fantasy Football Website......NO LIMIT SPORTS

Steel - X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Wow, lot to talk about here!

1. I`m glad to hear so far, there is nothing serious.
2. This week our offesnive line didn`t show up. It seemed that they were set on having seven men in the box, and single coverage on the outsides, and it worked. With some more time to throw, Ben would have been able to pick it apart. I think.
3. Ben is tough, and big. But seeing him up close at training camp, with a sleeveless tshirt on. I was surprised , as well as everyone I talked to there, to see that he isn`t toned or muscular at all. He is truly big, especially up close. But he doesn`t seem to take the weightroom or fitness to serious. I maybe wrong, I really would like to know if anyone knows otherwise.
4.I really think Tommy would start again, over Batch if needed. I think YTommy has proven in the past, that he is better than the Jags game. With that said, I`m not so sure that I wouldnt` play Batch first, but I think Cowher and co. would play Tommy.

Just my two cents
Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Wow, lot to talk about here!

1. I`m glad to hear so far, there is nothing serious.
2. This week our offesnive line didn`t show up. It seemed that they were set on having seven men in the box, and single coverage on the outsides, and it worked. With some more time to throw, Ben would have been able to pick it apart. I think.
3. Ben is tough, and big. But seeing him up close at training camp, with a sleeveless tshirt on. I was surprised , as well as everyone I talked to there, to see that he isn`t toned or muscular at all. He is truly big, especially up close. But he doesn`t seem to take the weightroom or fitness to serious. I maybe wrong, I really would like to know if anyone knows otherwise.
4.I really think Tommy would start again, over Batch if needed. I think YTommy has proven in the past, that he is better than the Jags game. With that said, I`m not so sure that I wouldnt` play Batch first, but I think Cowher and co. would play Tommy.

Just my two cents
He does look bigger this year.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Saw this as part of a larger article at Fox Sports Net.

Cowher played Maddox even though Roethlisberger all but begged Cowher to play him, pleading his case up until the final hours before the game.

Maddox, the Steelers' starter for most of the 2002 season and in 2003, has since fallen to No. 3 on the depth chart behind Charlie Batch, and it seems likely Batch would start in Green Bay should Roethlisberger have a setback and not be ready.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Ben is his own worst enemy when it comes to getting dinged up.
QB's who have the ability to make plays on the run when the pocket/protection collapses put themselves at greater risk when it comes to taking big shots on the field.
Ben needs to learn when a play is hopeless and just get down on the ground.

I thought the offensive line played fine last night against the Ravens. Whatever pressure Ben did get I'd give credit to the Raven secondary.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote