Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #21
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234
Default Re: Who do you guys WANT in April???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Who knows, last year we needed LBs and we got LBs. No matter what you think of the Timmons pick, he gave us help on STs and depth. Then came the 2nd round, and the Gods gave us Woodley!

Wouldn't it be something if the team drafted Albert in the 1st and somehow Cherilus fell to us in the 2nd.

O.K., all at once, cross your fingers!
With all the teams needing OL help this season, it would be a miracle if Cherilus fell to us in the second. Besides, if we take Albert in the first we can wait to take another OL in the later rounds. I'd like for us to look for a CB,DE or WR in the second.
polamalu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #22
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
why? the steelers are not in need of a WR in the first round. hartwig does not solve the O-line problems. the steelers can't keep neglecting the O-line every draft. the don't have a single star player on the O-line.

starks - average to poor. seems to play better at LT than RT
simmons - average to poor
mahan - average to poor. clearly not a center.
kemo - average to poor. still having trouble learning the playbook.
essex - average to poor
smith - above average, but not healthy
hartwig - remains to be seen, but was nothing special before coming here
colon - average to poor. clearly not a tackle.
stapleton - unknown
capizzi - unknown

also, the steelers probably won't have a DB worth the value of the 23rd pick to choose.

IMO, they should BPA the OL or DL.

the DL is in shambles.

smith - coming off an injury and is getting old.
hampton - isn't getting any younger and he needs to lose weight.
kirschke - old and basically a backup.
keisel - too small to play the DL in a 3-4.
mcbean - unknown.
hoke - getting old.

true but hartwig brings stability at the line and a veteran presence... the draft is loaded with olinman this year...and why not take a WR in the 1st... ill take any playmaking wr anyday
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 AM   #23
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
true but hartwig brings stability at the line and a veteran presence... the draft is loaded with olinman this year...and why not take a WR in the 1st... ill take any playmaking wr anyday
because a WR in the first is not a pressing need. good O-linemen won't be available in the later rounds. this is why the steelers' O-line has fallen apart. they have been neglecting it for many years. settling for projects and average or below linemen have caught up to the steelers. a WR isn't going to move the ball on the ground, control the clock, give the multi-million dollar QB the time to find WRs or protect him from getting killed.

how much of a playmaker is a WR going to be? holmes was drafted as a playmaker, but the scheme the steelers utilize isn't exactly built for WRs to be playmakers. if they go for a tall WR for stretching the field it would help if BR learned to throw the long ball.

the steelers haven't drafted a decent linemen since marvel smith.

i would take a good offensive lineman over a good WR any day.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #24
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
because a WR in the first is not a pressing need. good O-linemen won't be available in the later rounds. this is why the steelers' O-line has fallen apart. they have been neglecting it for many years. settling for projects and average or below linemen have caught up to the steelers. a WR isn't going to move the ball on the ground, control the clock, give the multi-million dollar QB the time to find WRs or protect him from getting killed.

how much of a playmaker is a WR going to be? holmes was drafted as a playmaker, but the scheme the steelers utilize isn't exactly built for WRs to be playmakers. if they go for a tall WR for stretching the field it would help if BR learned to throw the long ball.

the steelers haven't drafted a decent linemen since marvel smith.

i would take a good offensive lineman over a good WR any day.
But you have to take value into consideration. There is a good chance that all 1st round OT's are gone by #23....so do you reach ..or take a 1st round WR and try and grab someone like Benedict in the second or third?
If Otah or Williams was there at #23 then ...sure...grab one of them...but otherwise you take the best player on the board that meets your needs....and we have not had a legit #3 WR in a long time. You are right though that a DL is a possibility.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #25
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,517 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I woudn't mind seeing us get Aquib Talib from kansas I belive he would be a play maker.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #26
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
But you have to take value into consideration. There is a good chance that all 1st round OT's are gone by #23....so do you reach ..or take a 1st round WR and try and grab someone like Benedict in the second or third?
If Otah or Williams was there at #23 then ...sure...grab one of them...but otherwise you take the best player on the board that meets your needs....and we have not had a legit #3 WR in a long time. You are right though that a DL is a possibility.
IMO, you BPA the OL or DL. i rank WR behind the OL, DL, DB and LB for the first round.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #27
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
IMO, you BPA the OL or DL. i rank WR behind the OL, DL, DB and LB for the first round.
QB...OL..DL...CB..and Wr are considered favorable first round picks....the largest majority of your starting WR's are 1-3 round picks...OL is a high/low game...but LB traditionally can be found in rounds 2-5.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #28
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I woudn't mind seeing us get Aquib Talib from kansas I belive he would be a play maker.
i have read so many negatives on him that i think he isn't worth a 1st rounder.

Weaknesses:
Will take too many risks...Does not play as fast as he times and lacks a burst...Is not real physical...Just average in run support...Struggles to recover...Inconsistent and is not very disciplined..Has too much confidence in his abilities...Footwork and technique need refining..Gets beat more often than he should...Has off-the-field / character issues that need to be investigated and evaluated...A high bust factor?

IMO, sounds pretty much like mcfadden.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #29
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I want Felix Jones.

returner, depth at RB, and he can tackle on kick offs. That is what I want in the first round.

Oh, and re-sign Haggans. Cause I like him.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #30
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
QB...OL..DL...CB..and Wr are considered favorable first round picks....the largest majority of your starting WR's are 1-3 round picks...OL is a high/low game...but LB traditionally can be found in rounds 2-5.
i was referring to the steelers' needs this season.