Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Tomlin values Pass Rush without blitzing

4-3 is a good def to stop the run up in the middle b/c of the 4 d-line.. but the 3-4 u have so many opportunites with the zone blitzing, and basically what u want to run.. the steelers are so successful at the 3-4 b/c we have a very good nt in hampton..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
The Giants did use blitzes though, throughout the entire game.
They blitzed from time to time but they still got a lot of pressure only rushing the front 4
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
4-3 is a good def to stop the run up in the middle b/c of the 4 d-line.. but the 3-4 u have so many opportunites with the zone blitzing, and basically what u want to run.. the steelers are so successful at the 3-4 b/c we have a very good nt in hampton..
I agree. The only problem is the Steelers need to zone blitz at least 5 defenders to get pressure. They need to be able to get QB pressure with just rushing 4.

Woodley, Smith, Hampton, Keisel cant get much pressure by themselves. Somebody needs to be upgraded on the pass and I think its Keisel.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

you can't have it both ways though...you can't be the best rush defense in the league for say the last 15 years on average, and also expect to be the best pass rushing defense in the league.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
you can't have it both ways though...you can't be the best rush defense in the league for say the last 15 years on average, and also expect to be the best pass rushing defense in the league.
While that may be true, you also can't have sub-average talent in your DBs or it won't matter what type of rush defense you have because no body will be rushing against them. Remember the year when Oakland and the patriots* ran the ball maybe 10 times in games that they blew us out in? That was ridiculous. And it was because the talent level we had at DB couldn't handle the talent level at WR - all the while our front 7 weren't able to get pressure on the QB.

I'd like to see a change in our DBs that allows for a coverage sack every once in awhile. These 10 yard off the L.O.S. on a 3rd and 4 is obsurd. I believe there can be a change in the pass defense without having a huge impact on the rush defense.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think we need to get anb upgrade 4 keisal.. we need a better rusher from that side... and hopefully smith will be back to 100%

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
While that may be true, you also can't have sub-average talent in your DBs or it won't matter what type of rush defense you have because no body will be rushing against them. Remember the year when Oakland and the patriots* ran the ball maybe 10 times in games that they blew us out in? That was ridiculous. And it was because the talent level we had at DB couldn't handle the talent level at WR - all the while our front 7 weren't able to get pressure on the QB.

I'd like to see a change in our DBs that allows for a coverage sack every once in awhile. These 10 yard off the L.O.S. on a 3rd and 4 is obsurd. I believe there can be a change in the pass defense without having a huge impact on the rush defense.
I think the scheme is zone blitz that causes the 10 yards off the ball, it drives me just as nuts and I'd love to see some "shut down" guys, but really more than that, how about just trying bump and run coverage, playing down tight, and not allowing the WR to get that quick slant, yes it opens you up to the deep ball if the rush doesn't get there, but you live and die by it. However, Tomlin is a cover 2 guy and that doesn't really mean "shut down" corners as much as it does, "help over the top" and I'm not sure I want that type of bend dont break defense.

I'd rather balls to the wall attack and if they beat you deep, they beat you deep, so be it. But that's just my style.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

You also must remember we have not been able to get a pass rush without sending extra players, hence blitz....This leaves someone open somewhere....Our DB's are not that bad.....when you have no pass rush any defense will look bad.......Haggans was worthless....Foote average at best....and Farrior (not there for the sacks) but is still on the downward slide....We need Timmons and Woodley to step up this year. We need that 23 year old speed at linebacker. Ryan Mcbean also needs to progress on the line. Smith is 32 and Kiesel 30. Our Pass rush was not good at all.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

in other news....

tomlin values interceptions without db's gambling.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #20
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

If we had a Kevin Williams type of guy i would love to see the steelers go to a 4-3, Casey Hampton is amazing but his 5.3 forty time is not great pass rushing speed.