Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #21
one side only
Water Boy

Member Number: 8360
Default Re: Finally! Pat Kirwans Mock #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
First off, let's get one thing straight. The team was going to pick the 5th or 6th O-lineman in the draft the whole time. Now there have been questions or assumptions as to who that might be, but we've known the whole time that would be the case.

Before the news of Alberts intangibles and his rise up the boards, Cherilus was looking to be the O-lineman that would be available at 23. So nothing has really changed, except that many fell in love with Albert.

Cherilus was my pick (for O-line) before Albert made his meteoric rise. I would choose Albert over Cherilus, just like I would choose Groves over Cherilus. But with O-line being the need that it is, the team may choose to take the BA O-lineman and that could be Cherilus.

As far as the mock, I don't like it. I think Kirwan, just like many others, is off with quite a few picks. I don't see Groves going to any team other than a team that runs the 3-4. I don't see James Hardy being picked that high either. Time will tell.

On a side note, I look for Clady to fall down the board.
I don't think the selection of an offensive lineman is a foregone conclusion. The Starks situation remains a question mark and its outcome will go a long way in determining who the Steelers pick. I think they want to sign him at a reasonable amount, and if they do so, they might not pick a lineman first. In fact, I'm not convinced they will pick one anyway.
one side only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #22
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by one side only View Post
I don't think the selection of an offensive lineman is a foregone conclusion. The Starks situation remains a question mark and its outcome will go a long way in determining who the Steelers pick. I think they want to sign him at a reasonable amount, and if they do so, they might not pick a lineman first. In fact, I'm not convinced they will pick one anyway.
I hope not because I really want Groves, but more than likely it will be O-line.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

gosder is definitely not worth a first round pick... especially @ 23... i'd take phillips or talib over cherilus
Old 04-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,777 Times in 2,938 Posts

i wonder if mel kiper gets this type of access or facetime-

Quote:
Emptying the notebook

1. Monday night at the owners meetings is a time that the NFL executives, head coaches and their families mingle with the media people at a big reception. I sat down for dinner with Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin, his wife and two children, along with Raiders executive Amy Trask. I got the feeling things are running a lot smoother for the young coach as he heads into his second season.

2. I asked Detroit head coach Rod Marinelli to play some golf Tuesday morning and he looked at me like I had two heads. I don't think Marinelli allocates much time to anything but football.

3. After dinner Tuesday, I ran into Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel and his wife. After congratulating him on his contract extension, we got down to talking about his football team. He loves the chemistry right now and he believes Shaun Rogers is going to be excited about playing in his defense. Crennel will get the best out of Rogers and if he does, watch out for the Browns. Coach had a big smile on his face the whole time we talked about the 2008 season.

4. I was surprised how many head coaches came up to me and said they listen every Friday to "Moving the Chains," my radio show on Sirius with Tim Ryan, and follow the mock draft Tim and I have been doing on air. Marty Hurney, GM of the Panthers, said he listened all the way into his driveway on the way home, just waiting to see who his team got in the draft.

5. Three prominent agents approached me at the owners meetings reception and voiced their opinion that Bill Parcells will be looking for a pre-draft deal before selecting the player at the top of the draft. He probably has enough talent to choose from that the player who takes the deal could be the choice.

6. Look for the 49ers to take an offensive tackle and an inside linebacker in the first two rounds.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true
Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #25
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,806 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Well, galax... the guy is a monster in the running game and he looked pretty awesome against the top tier DE's and DT's at the Senior Bowl. I would not mind him being our number 1 pick at all come april.
Actually he looked good if they tried to bull rush him, but he got repeatedly beat by guys that made him move his feet. Not a great pass blocker, watch the BC clips of #77 blocking for Matt Ryan....they guy is heavy footed.

Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College: Cherilus was expected to have a big week but failed to deliver. He possesses the size and strength to start in the NFL, but his inability to block in anything other than a small area was troublesome. Cherilus now needs a big combine to preserve being a first-round choice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...sliders/1.html

Kirwin goes onto say that Cherilus has lots of experience playing LT. He only played there this season and it wasnt a great transition.

After starting 37 consecutive games at right tackle, Gosder Cherilus moved to the demanding left tackle position as a senior. It is an understatement to say that he struggled most of the year at that position. ...With his limited change-of-direction agility, along with a solid reputation as a mauler for the ground game, Cherilus would welcome a return to right tackle at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...herilus?id=210

I like Kirwin, but his assessment of Cherilus at a LT is wrong. I dont mind the Cherilus pick either, but believe he is a RT only and #23 might be a bit high for a RT, but he will be gone at the top of the 2nd, so better to trade back or draft D line.

Go Heels!!
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #26
DACEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
gosder is definitely not worth a first round pick... especially @ 23... i'd take phillips or talib over cherilus
I agree, there's a number of guys I'd take in the 1st over Cherilus, Groves being my first choice.

I think Phillips is a good choice if available, and obviously your favorite. Problem with Phillips is where he went to school. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the team has been reluctant in the past to draft any player from Miami (Fla) in the 1st.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #27
DACEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Cherilus looked good if they tried to bull rush him, but he got repeatedly beat by guys that made him move his feet. Not a great pass blocker, watch the BC clips of #77 blocking for Matt Ryan....they guy is heavy footed.

Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College: Cherilus was expected to have a big week but failed to deliver. He possesses the size and strength to start in the NFL, but his inability to block in anything other than a small area was troublesome.

Kirwin goes onto say that Cherilus has lots of experience playing LT. He only played there this season and it wasnt a great transition.

After starting 37 consecutive games at right tackle, Gosder Cherilus moved to the demanding left tackle position as a senior. It is an understatement to say that he struggled most of the year at that position. ...With his limited change-of-direction agility, along with a solid reputation as a mauler for the ground game, Cherilus would welcome a return to right tackle at the next level.

I like Kirwin, but his assessment of Cherilus at a LT is wrong. I dont mind the Cherilus pick either, but believe he is a RT only and #23 might be a bit high for a RT, but he will be gone at the top of the 2nd, so better to trade back or draft D line.
Problem with Cherilus, at least to me, he seems to be like a Starks clone. All of those negatives you described Gonzo, sound like Starks. At this point, do we even want to spend a 2nd on Cherilus if indeed he is a clone of Starks. Who knows though, Starks could move to LT and flourish and Cherilus could excel back at right.

As much as I like Groves, I truly hope Albert is available when we pick.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #28
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Problem with Cherilus, at least to me, he seems to be like a Starks clone. All of those negatives you described Gonzo, sound like Starks. At this point, do we even want to spend a 2nd on Cherilus if indeed he is a clone of Starks. Who knows though, Starks could move to LT and flourish and Cherilus could excel back at right.

Yes!! I was thinking that Cherilus seems like Starks in the way he would have trouble with speed guys as well.

The difference is that Starks was seen as being a huge guy, with decent footwork, but the question was if he was gonna be a powerful run blocker. Cherilus is thought of as a great run blocker, but a guy with heavy feet that nobody is sure he can pass protect.

I was thinking that Cherilus could be a good RT and use his size and long arms along with some improved technique to be a better pass blocker.....but who knows if he will...or just be a matador on the right side?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #29
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yes!! I was thinking that Cherilus seems like Starks in the way he would have trouble with speed guys as well.

The difference is that Starks was seen as being a huge guy, with decent footwork, but the question was if he was gonna be a powerful run blocker. Cherilus is thought of as a great run blocker, but a guy with heavy feet that nobody is sure he can pass protect.

I was thinking that Cherilus could be a good RT and use his size and long arms along with some improved technique to be a better pass blocker.....but who knows if he will...or just be a matador on the right side?
i think that was the plan for starks as well......we know how that one worked out...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #30
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i think that was the plan for starks as well......we know how that one worked out...
Starks was a big guy that played LT in front of Rex Grossman in Florida (and I think Danny Weurffel) that was a good pass protector, but the question on him was if he would be a good run blocker. He showed some aggression in the senior bowl and ended up a 3rd round pick. I still dont see him as a great run blocker though.

Chris Williams is the same IMO. A guy that is a better pass protector and athlete than Starks was , but again a questionmark as a run blocker, but showed some aggression in Mobile, Ala because the scouts were watching.

Its why I dont think Williams is a good fit for the Steelers and Cherilus at least is a mauler as a RT, that has the tools and potential to hold his own in pass protection. At the worst, he is Max Starks as a RT, but a better pure run blocker.