Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #31
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,201 Times in 1,359 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Finally! Pat Kirwans Mock #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Well, galax... the guy is a monster in the running game and he looked pretty awesome against the top tier DE's and DT's at the Senior Bowl. I would not mind him being our number 1 pick at all come april.
I'm not saying that he isn't worth a no.1 pick for us but there is a couple more players that I would rather have before him.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #32
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,894 Times in 947 Posts

Yeah, Mayock has Cherilus going to the steelers in the first. I dont mind it that much, as he can probably contribute as a long term starting RT, but somehow I think #23 is a bit too high to spend on a guy that cant play LT. Then again, its normally the range that guys start looking at starting OG's.

I'd rather try and trade down and get 2 picks in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd if possible.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #33
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,201 Times in 1,359 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, Mayock has Cherilus going to the steelers in the first. I dont mind it that much, as he can probably contribute as a long term starting RT, but somehow I think #23 is a bit too high to spend on a guy that cant play LT. Then again, its normally the range that guys start looking at starting OG's.

I'd rather try and trade down and get 2 picks in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd if possible.
Do you think that we might actually trade down.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #34
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,068 Posts
Default Vol. 3.0

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsess...o&confirm=true
Quote:

Last week's NFL Annual Meeting provided the opportunity to talk with coaches and front office executives about their feelings concerning the draft. No clubs are going to disclose their final intentions but they will give their opinions about the talent, depth, and risks in the draft.

I spent this past week watching a lot of game tapes and studying team needs now that free agency is starting to slow down. Most pro days are over, yet a few personal workouts remain, as well as some medical rechecks.

Any change at the top of the first round can have a ripple effect all the way through the round. I still have 30 of last week's 31 players in the first round but as we get deeper into April there is always more pressure to take a quarterback if your team needs one. Watch what happens to the first round if Atlanta comes to the conclusion Matt Ryan is the best option for the most important position. This latest mock draft has six teams changing their pick but staying at the same position and another 11 teams going in a different direction altogether. After each pick in the first round, I will categorize the selection in one of the following categories: (S) Safe pick, (Ri) risk pick, (B) bargain at this point, (Re) reach at this point, (N=G) need equals grade.

Next week I will add the second-round selection based on the first-round selection.
pretty cool added twist to this weeks mock with the categories. this week is less off the wall than 2.0 with chris long going #1 and v. gholston going #4 to the raiders.

and now the 2nd mock ive seen with b. albert going #7 to the patriots. (im sure if LITP were still around, he would posturize how he hated this pick)

Quote:
23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College The Steelers need offensive linemen. Cherilus played left tackle at B.C. but will move to right tackle when he joins the Steelers. I have interviewed over 100 players in this draft and this guy is more like a Steeler than anyone else I spoke with this winter and spring. (N=G)

Previous mock pick: Gosder Cherilus
q. groves to jax, and i still like the b. brohm to green bay prediction.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #35
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,894 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
Do you think that we might actually trade down.
Unless there is a guy at #23 that they really love, I dont see why trading down to the top of the 2nd could not happen, but you need 2 to tango, so somebody will have to want #23.

I see a lot of teams like KC and Atlanta wanting O line and QB. Maybe the Jets wanting RB, QB. I also seem some teams coveting Brohm with a late round 1 grade and the Depth of this O line class has been well documented.

Here is a scenario that I like. Trade our 1st with the Chiefs 2nd and 3rd, so the Chiefs can draft OT and Brohm in the 1st. Steelers can then draft an OT like Anthony Colins in the 2nd and still have 3 more picks in round 2 and 3 to draft DT, CB, WR.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #36
tony hipchest

Default Re: Finally! Pat Kirwans Mock 4.0

with recent douchbaggery from kelly and manningham, the wr class drops as a whole. miami and atlanta pass on ryan and select henne and flacco with 2 of the 1st 3 second round picks. baltimore must feel happy if they land ryan and aqib talib. and for not much more than showing deion branch the door and passing on joe staley, the patriots land branden albert (which to them, must look like a steal). im sure they will trade the man he replaces for a 1st round pick and clear cap room in the process.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

Quote:
As the draft aproaches, there are more changes in the first round of my latest mock draft. We witnessed a few players admitting to failed drug tests, another player having heart surgery, a GM trying to get a pre-draft deal done, and the last of the pro days reshaping the first day of the draft.

The wild card in the first round is still Boston College QB Matt Ryan, who could land at any number of spots in the opening round. Lots of people have varying opinions of Ryan, and club executives in search of a quarterback can't waste much time comparing him to quarterbacks of years past. They need to ask themselves the question, if we pass on Ryan is there any guarantee we will get a player of equal or better talent next year? If he upgrades your team this year it will be very hard to pass him.

I get the sense that a few of the decision makers on draft day are struggling with medical and/or off-the-field issues, and for good reason. There's just too much money involved to take the risk anymore. A safe pick is going to trump a guy with great talent who may also present a risk. One-year wonders are another concern that seems to be on personnel directors' minds with little time left before the draft. Taking a guy who had one great year, or a guy with four solid years, is still a challenge in the NFL.
steelers pass on stewart, groves, balmer, and pillips and select-

Quote:
23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College Cherilus plays the game the way the Steelers like to play football. He isn't perfect but he plays physical and to the whistle. He wins the right tackle spot in camp and never looks back for the next 10 years.

Second-round pick: Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #37
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

the chargers have 1 pick in the first 4 rds..... i don't think thier gonna burn it on a freakin running back, when they obvious holes else where to fill. THey should go with phillips , before a RB

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #38
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
PFW just came out with their new mock (cant link due to it being prescription only)...They also have Otah going to Chicago...and they have Albert going to the Eagles at #19.

at #23....To the Steelers.....PFW has....Gosder Cherilus.

I am beginning to see a trend.
I don't think Albert is falling past 15 or so, but if they do, I expect us to try to trade up to pick him up. I have a feeling the same thing can be said of Mr. Harvey.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #39
tony hipchest

Default Pat Kirwans Final Mock 5.0

very interesting. pats and chiefs swap the 5th and 7th picks. baltimore and saints swap #8 and #10. (baltimore lands branden albert)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsess...o&confirm=true

Quote:
There has already been some serious business this week. The first pick in the draft is locked up with Jake Long going to Miami. The Jared Allen trade to the Vikings has stirred up the first round and the Chiefs may be much more flexible about trading out of the No. 5 spot. I believe they are getting a lot of calls about 17th pick.

Recently, we witnessed a few players admitting to failed drug tests, another player having heart surgery, and the last of the pro days reshaping the first day of the draft. As late as Thursday, teams were still flying around the country to get a final peak at candidates.

The wild card in the first round is still Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, who could go at any number of spots in the opening round. There are varying opinions on Ryan and club executives in search of a quarterback can't waste much time comparing him to quarterbacks of years past. They need to ask themselves the question, if we pass on Ryan is there any guarantee we will get a player of equal or better talent next year. If he upgrades your team, it will be very hard to pass him this year.

Atlanta, Kansas City, Baltimore and at least one other team have a very serious decision to make and it isn't going to be easy. History says the quarterback debate takes center stage in the hours leading up to the draft. Banking on Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, or Joe Flacco being there in the second round is risky business. Not to mention, if those clubs believe Ryan is the best prospect than how can they wait?

I get the sense that a few of the decision makers on draft day are struggling with medical and or off-the-field issues and for good reason. There's just too much money involved to take the risk anymore. Now that Long has taken a five-year deal from Miami instead of the traditional 6-year deal at the top of the first round, the climate has changed dramatically.

A safe pick is going to trump a guy with great talent who may also present a risk. One-year wonders are another concern that seems to be on the mind of personnel directors with little time left before the draft. Take a guy who had one great year or a guy with four solid years on his resume. The Jake Long pick by the Dolphins sends a big message about how clubs look at the draft these days. Be safe and get the guy who has done it over time.
and the steelers do what everyone thinks they need to do. (but a good, sound selection)

Quote:
23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College Cherilus plays the game the way the Steelers like to play football. He isn't perfect, but he plays physical and to the whistle. He wins the right tackle spot in camp and never looks back for the next ten years. There could be conversation about a wide receiver like Limas Sweed.

Previous mock pick: Gosder Cherilus
Old 04-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #40
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

as in herm's words HE wants 15 picks this yr.. so i wouldn't doubt to see the cheifs trade one of there 1st rd picks to drop back again and pick up extra picks.. honestly they do need a lot of help on the team...
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote