Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-26-2008, 01:48 AM   #1
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703
Default The Rooneys

I've just got to get his off of my chest........

I check this board almost every day. It occurs to me that in almost every thread there is some sort of derogatory reference to the Rooney's and the way that they go about running this franchise. It's either that they are cheap, or that they are too conservative, or that they are in-consistent blah,blah,blah. I defy anyone to show me a more consistent, well-run franchise over the past 35 years. In this period we have amassed 5 super bowl wins and countless division titles. There is no other franchise that even comes close to our overall numbers during this time. I mean, most of us refer to the 80's as "the lean years" but even then we were competitive and won some great playoff games. We are so utterly spoiled by this success that some of us have the audacity to question our leadership.

What is it that these folks hope for? Do they want Dan Snyder to buy the Steelers or what? Is there really another franchise out there that has proven to be more consistent? Sure the Cheatriots are on everyone's radar right now, but where will they be in 10 years? The Giants win 1 Super Bowl and people are on here blathering about how we should switch to the 4-3. Next thing you know, people will be on here screaming for the run-and-shoot. The bottom line is this..... the Pittsburgh Steelers are the best, most consistent, and most admired team in the NFL and have been for many years. Anyone who argues this is blind, deaf, or dumb (all three if they're Pats fans). We have established a recipe for success that is envied the league over. That is a fact. Anyone who thinks we need to change the way we do business should simply do their research and they will see that what we got is worth havin'.

Here's to the Rooneys and the Steelers! The best damn sports franchise in the history of pro sports. If you don't like us, try the Browns on for size......or maybe the Jaguars, or hell, even the Patriots. Just try 'em out but I will promise you that if you are a true fan of quality, hard-nosed, consistent, WINNING football, You will come back to the Steelers every time. THAT'S what we have to be proud of!
:j ammin:
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,105 Posts
Default Re: The Rooney's

I like the rooneys and the way they run there franchise they may be cheap but they can run a football team.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Cheap???????????...............$102 million?????????????????????
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
tunes4life
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8219

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Cheap???????????...............$102 million?????????????????????
I agree! I'm tired of people saying this. What do we have to do to stop this talk?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
StinkyB
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6509

Quote:
. We are so utterly spoiled by this success that some of us have the audacity to question our leadership.
First off, if you consider the Rooneys to be "your" or "our" leadership, then you have a little too much emotion invested in a football team.

Secondly, not questioning the Steelers' leadership is ridiculous, your and my money helps fund them, questioning them is the right thing to do. Questioning them with prudent questions and maturity, armed with facts and ideas is optimal. Slinging baseless accusations and incorrect facts is an annoyance.
StinkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081

most of the derogatory references are in jest...from long time posters heralding back to the day when the Rooneys were reluctant to give the big signing bonuses (prior to heinz field and its cash-rich luxury boxes) its no longer the case,

but they still dont spend frivolously and a very small but vocal group would like to never lose a steeler free agent and sign everyone elses, which is unrealistic, as we all know
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216
Default Re: The Rooneys

hey they are a bunch of rich white dudes, of course we have to give them a hard time on occasion. especially when they raise ticket prices, like they did agian this year.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I love the Rooney's. They, IMO, are the best owners in Sports. Just curious though...who is in line to take over after Art Jr.?
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

they raised the tickets prices to cover the bill of ben's new contract.. duh!

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Signing Ben now, was a brilliant move, in a year, see what Eli Manning asks for and gets from the NY Giants. We now have ZERO to worry about at the QB position for at least 6 years (taking into account we renegotiate with 2 years left)

Now Ben knows we will build a team around him, my guess, he'll get his taller receiver, is Ward going to be a Steeler in 6 years? Highly doubt it, so we'll build for what Ben's strengths are, including a very High release point on the ball. Hence the giants we have at TE. We have a burner in Holmes, we have the solid downs guy in ward, now we need that tall over the middle, dare I say it "jump ball" guy for the Red Zone that we've been lacking. Teams double miller now in the red zone, so we could use a little height in the back of the endzone.

The Defense will be, and always will be Stuff the run first, as long as the Rooney's are in charge, but, it is a copy cat league and with the Pats showing what a 4 man rush can do to Brady, it will be considered at least in passing situations, much like the Ravens do, they run a 3-4/4-3 style defense, depending on situation. The Cover 2 isn't truly a Tampa 2 any longer, because of offenses becoming more 'spread'. So I don't see us becoming a true Tampa 2. We'll continue to draft young LBs, work on finding great CBs and Safeties. Also, watch for a solid RB to be drafted in a year or two. Parker is great, but can he carry the load for 6 more years? Heck can any back do it for 8 years without help?

Rooney's know what they are doing, they don't buy players to win now. They never have. They bring in FAs to compete and stay above the masses, to be good enough to make the Playoffs and have the potential, almost every single year of winning it all.