Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Default Autographs = Money whoring.

I got an email from the Steel City Mafia about an upcoming signing with Willie Parker, and frankly, it pissed me off. Here's the image: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...idasso2/16.jpg Read the fine print. Buy $50 worth of crap, meet Fast Willie, but he won't sign anything unless it's a football supplied by Perry Ellis. You can't even get in line without that $50 purchase. I call bullspit.

This to me equals whoring. Wasn't there a time where player appearances meant you go somewhere with your kids with something you wanted signed, maybe pay like 5 bucks, and left happy, and your kids had memories? I have a helmet with 45 signatures so far, but nowadays, no one will sign it unless I pay as little as $50, or attend some $100/plate dinner. When will it end?

Is the NFL behind this? Or is it the players, agents, bookies, event hosts, etc.? Frankly, I'm sick of it. I'm not going to any more signings.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276
Default Re: Autographs = Money whoring.

it more of the agents than the players
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,373 Posts

Thats what those in the business call 'Manwhoring'

But also gotta remember its a business. Whether its the nfl, nfl player or a sports store.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

While I agree with you about our mutual disgust for the current state of things, I think the reason is the amount salaries have risen to. I know these numbers will be off, but you'll get my idea. In the 80's a player made $750k/yr and could make $30k doing an autograph signing session. Now that same player made $8M last year. He isn't going to sit in the Harrisburg Farm Show Complex signing balls for $30k. That's like us sitting around all day signing stuff for $10. It sucks but that's what it comes down to.
Give It To Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Thats what those in the business call 'Manwhoring' :chicken:

But also gotta remember its a business. Whether its the nfl, nfl player or a sports store.

I found the reason for the high prices. Willie has hired this guy and is afraid of the Pimp Hand.

[YOUTUBE]LaLNNt9Cngk[/YOUTUBE]
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

When I met Joe Greene once, all I asked of him was to shake his hand. At first, when I walked up to him, he acted a little annoyed because he thought I was an autograph seeker...his exact words were "I don't have time". I turned around and started to walk away and he asked me "What do you want"...I told him that I was a big Steelers fan from the 70's and all I wanted to do was shake his hand, he instantly got this huge smile on his face and said "I have time for that".

That means more to me than getting his signature on a piece of paper or picture.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
When I met Joe Greene once, all I asked of him was to shake his hand. At first, when I walked up to him, he acted a little annoyed because he thought I was an autograph seeker...his exact words were "I don't have time". I turned around and started to walk away and he asked me "What do you want"...I told him that I was a big Steelers fan from the 70's and all I wanted to do was shake his hand, he instantly got this huge smile on his face and said "I have time for that".

That means more to me than getting his signature on a piece of paper or picture.
I think I seen you on tv. Did you give him a coke then he gave you his jersey? J/K. Cool story man.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,246 Times in 1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post

you shoulda took a coke with ya.....he might have givin ya his shirt.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
you shoulda took a coke with ya.....he might have givin ya his shirt.....
Jinx!!!!! You owe me a coke.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,636 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalu82 View Post
Jinx!!!!! You owe me a coke.