Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Autographs = Money whoring.

Part of it is the player wants reimbursed for his time, his agent sets up the deal and gets a percentage of what the player is paid...and normally the reason you can't get in line without the purchase is because that's how the memoribilia company hosting it is going to make their money...you buy their product to be signed.

I remember back when I could go to a Cleveland Indians game and get players autographs without a problem. Now most players won't sign because the people wanting the autographs don't keep them for memories, they sell the items on ebay. That is also a part of why it costs to much to get an autograph at an event such as the one Parker is a part of...how many of those people are going to turn around and just sell the football on Ebay?

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalu82 View Post
I think I seen you on tv. Did you give him a coke then he gave you his jersey? J/K. Cool story man.
LOL...I always liked that commercial.

The funny part of it was that some guys were standing around him...I think they were his son's. When Joe stuck his hand out to shake mine, I must have looked stunned, awe struck, and shocked at the same time....because they started laughing at me. His hand was as big as a baseball mit....or atleast it seemed that way.

I have heard he is a really nice guy. I know celebrities don't like to be bothered, but I couldn't resist. I knew there was a real good chance he was going to tell me to get lost, but I just took my chances. Even if he had told me to get lost, I would have understood...and I would still love the guy. He was my favorite Steeler when I was growing up and nothing can change that.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalu82 View Post
Jinx!!!!! You owe me a coke.
lol.....wow, we musta been thinkin the same thing at the same time...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
lol.....wow, we musta been thinkin the same thing at the same time...
Great minds think alike. Of course, some may use this as a detractor of that saying.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Ok as a collector I understand the frustration.
If you want FREE autographs you've basically got 3 choices
1. Go to training camp
2. Go to games
3. Go to Charity events, Pay to get in but your autographs are free
I worked for a few promotors in my day, there SHARKS, but the reason they are SHARKS is there Agents are. It truly isn't the Players fault, they cant cough without there agent wanting the tissue
I met Santonio Holmes at KMart last year at training camp, Me and my kids walked up to him, basically same situation all they wanted to do was say HI! First word out of his mouth was I cant sign anything my agent dont allow! He was very friendly and said hi to all of us. Thats all my kids wanted.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #16
Kindjunior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8343

If you get them early it also a great way to collect autographs, I picked up a Willy signed football in his first year on Ebay for 35 bucks.
Kindjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #17
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
it more of the agents than the players
Don't the agents work FOR the players?
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #18
missedgehead
Starter

Member Number: 8622

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Part of it is the player wants reimbursed for his time, his agent sets up the deal and gets a percentage of what the player is paid...and normally the reason you can't get in line without the purchase is because that's how the memoribilia company hosting it is going to make their money...you buy their product to be signed.

I remember back when I could go to a Cleveland Indians game and get players autographs without a problem. Now most players won't sign because the people wanting the autographs don't keep them for memories, they sell the items on ebay. That is also a part of why it costs to much to get an autograph at an event such as the one Parker is a part of...how many of those people are going to turn around and just sell the football on Ebay?
BINGO!! This is exactly why they do all this. They do not hardly sign because most people want the autographs for 1) selling on ebay or whatnot and/or 2) like an acquaintance of mine , they just want the autograph, not because they are a real fan. This really hurts the real fans who love these athletes. This is even spreading to the WWE Superstars. One time I saw an autograph session advertised for John Cena and you had to buy 60 dollars worth of stuff or whatever just to get on line to get his signature. Even the WWE Superstars (yes, I know alot of you probably do not like wrestling but it is still the same principle.) are starting to refuse autographs like the "real athletes" are. Sad.
missedgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
mjm
Water Boy

Member Number: 8673

Great discussion. I am new to this sight and I can tell you I already like the forum. Anyway to add to the discussion if I may - I just heard through the grapevine that a new type of memorabilia is coming out that may take the actual "Autograph" biz to the next level.

Personal Video Greetings. - You can pay to have a Professional Athlete actually tell you or someone you know Happy Birthday, or Great job or anything. I heard you would be able to actually write the script. The reason I know this is becasue rumor has it that The Bus/Bettis is going to be the first one to do this. As much as some may think this is over the top - I think it's pretty awesome. My son loves Bettis and I will pay to have him tell my son that he did a great job getting straight A's this year in school. He will freak!:) I asked around about the price and it looks like big names will run about $450 per personal, custom made video, sent to you on DVD. If I am off on the details here I apologize. This is waht I am hearing. I don;t think anyone is doing this at this point...are they?

Thought I would share - As long as they sponsor Steelers - Then I like it!
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:15 AM   #20
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedgehead View Post
BINGO!! This is exactly why they do all this. They do not hardly sign because most people want the autographs for 1) selling on ebay or whatnot and/or 2) like an acquaintance of mine , they just want the autograph, not because they are a real fan. This really hurts the real fans who love these athletes. This is even spreading to the WWE Superstars. One time I saw an autograph session advertised for John Cena and you had to buy 60 dollars worth of stuff or whatever just to get on line to get his signature. Even the WWE Superstars (yes, I know alot of you probably do not like wrestling but it is still the same principle.) are starting to refuse autographs like the "real athletes" are. Sad.

Although I am not a wrestling fan, I would have to dispute your take that wrestlers are not athletes. Many of them are former collegiate athletes. And what they do takes a high degree of athleticism.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote