Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #21
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: Autographs = Money whoring.

Well, I am an avid collector. And I'd say I've spent alot of money over the last 6 years since I started collecting. But to me meeting these players means more to me than any autograph. If I can get a picture taken with a player, that's the ultimate for me. And what's that picture worth to anyone else? NOTHING. I hate to say that in a way I agree with these players charging money. They get paid to play the game for their respective teams. I'm not an NFL contract expert, but I'm not so sure that it stipulates them to sign autographs on their own time for free. I know we'd all like that to be the case. But I do know that I wouldn't like for my company to tell me that I need to work off the clock. In essence that's what they'd be doing. And besides, let's be honest for a minute. People are very annoying. I've been to many memorabilia shows and some people are never satisfied. Always asking the player for more. I was lucky. Lambert has always been my favorite player since I was 4 years old. And I've been very fortunate to get more from him than the average fan. Whether it be pictures with my family or signing inscriptions that he doesn't for most people. Anything I've ever asked him to sign, he's signed. But I've also seen him tell people no many times. Always in a nice way......LMAO!!!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #22
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
When I met Joe Greene once, all I asked of him was to shake his hand. At first, when I walked up to him, he acted a little annoyed because he thought I was an autograph seeker...his exact words were "I don't have time". I turned around and started to walk away and he asked me "What do you want"...I told him that I was a big Steelers fan from the 70's and all I wanted to do was shake his hand, he instantly got this huge smile on his face and said "I have time for that".

That means more to me than getting his signature on a piece of paper or picture.
I've been fortunate enough to see Joe several times. He was always my 2nd favorite behind Lambert. And the 1st time I met him he was less than amicable. Not sure if he was just having a bad day or what. But I had asked to get a picture with him and he said "I don't have time for that". Which I found funny he said the exact same thing to you. But the 2nd time I met him I asked again. And he said "it would be an honor" with a big smile on his face. And the 3rd time I met him, I had the pic of him an I blown up to an 8x10 and he seemed honored. I think it does get to them to think that people are there just to turn around and make money off their signatures. I've always thought Bradshaw was a jerk at these signings. His on-screen personna made me think differently at first. And Mel Blount let's his wife control everything. Or least use her as a scapegoat to say no. He wouldn't take a pic with anyone. And lastly, Swanny was just as bad as Bradshaw if not worse. This is all from my experiences....I'm sure some of you may disagree.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #23
trish
Water Boy

Member Number: 8687

It's definitely the agents who set those prices. Ridiculous..especially with the salaries these players (and agents) make. The lowest paid NFL player makes mor than enough money.

Even the guys who are recently drafted start charging big bucks for signings..before they ever take the field.
trish is offline   Reply With Quote