Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default New Rules-Maybe

....and there will be a few more complements of the Beliprick and the *Cheatriots

http://postgazette.com/pg/08087/868318-66.stm

Patriots' misconduct may mean new rules
Thursday, March 27, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The goal of the New England Patriots last season was to accomplish something so spectacular it would have an enduring, historic effect on the National Football League.

They might have succeeded in ways they never dreamed.

The Patriots fell short of 19-0 perfection and a dynasty-like fourth Super Bowl victory in seven seasons when the New York Giants upset them in the NFL championship game. But illegal acts by New England and its head coach over the years might produce stricter rules of conduct in the NFL and add another layer of technology to the game.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has proposed widespread rules governing the integrity of the game that owners will consider at their annual meeting beginning Sunday in Palm Beach, Fla. The new rules will be self-policing, much like the service academies, in that owners, general mangers, coaches and others must blow the whistle on each other if they know of violations.

In addition, members of the league's competition committee believe the owners will pass a rule allowing one defensive player to wear a radio receiver in his helmet to hear signals from the sideline the way a quarterback has been able to do on offense. It is an obvious attempt to end the illegal video taping of defensive coaches' signals that cost the Patriots and coach Bill Belichick heavy fines last fall and a first-round draft choice.

There is no doubt the proposals were inspired by Spygate.

"I think the question has been raised because of all the focus that went on with that incident," said Rich McKay, co-chairman of the NFL competition committee. "You have to make fans assured you are paying attention to the issues and are directing as much energy as you can to the issue."

"We are determined to make sure our game is clean and competitively fair," said Ray Anderson, the NFL's vice president of football operations. "The main thing is accountability from top to bottom in protecting the integrity and maintaining accountability with our fans."

"I certainly agree that it's an issue that needs to be addressed," Steelers president Art Rooney II said of Goodell's proposals, "and I think what we've heard from the commissioner so far makes sense. Obviously we have to hear more of the details, but he's going to put some measures in place that will make a difference and certainly make people think twice if they have any thoughts about skirting the rules."

Belichick and the Patriots admitted to Goodell that part of their illegal taping of coaches involved the Steelers before or during two AFC championship games in Heinz Field, both won by New England after the 2002 and '04 seasons.

It's not just stealing signals by video tape either. There have been complaints from visiting teams when their coaches' suddenly lose communication through their sideline headphones. Or, as happened publicly during the 2005 season, complaints that Indianapolis illegally used its indoor sound system to jack up the crowd noise.

Such violations will be policed more closely and dealt with more severely under Goodell's proposals.

"You have to say there's an opportunity to exploit technology to gain an advantage that is not part of the rules," Rooney said. "I think that is something that probably will be an oncoming challenge as technology continues to improve."

Other issues and proposals on the docket for the NFL meetings:

? Change the seeding for playoffs so if a wild-card team has a better record than a division winner, it receives a higher seed. In that case, Jacksonville (11-5) would not have played at the Steelers (AFC North champions at 10-6). "We don't see any reason to fool with that," said Rooney, who believes division champs deserve the reward of a higher seed.

? A 5- to 7-day moratorium before free agency begins to allow team officials to talk to the agents for potential free agents without signing them. It's a process that goes on now anyway, illegally, and the NFL hopes to make it equal for everyone who now follows the rules. "No question there's an issue with people jumping the gun now," Rooney said.

? Eliminate the 5-yard penalty for minor facemask violations with only those involving serious infractions drawing a 15-yard penalty.

? Eliminate the rule that allows the receiver to have a catch if, in the judgment of the official, he was forced out of bounds by a defender to prevent him from getting both feet in bounds. That play now would be ruled an incompletion unless the receiver was carried out of bounds.

? Prohibit long hair from obscuring a player's name on the back of his jersey, ala Troy Polamalu. The player would not be required to cut his hair, but wear it under his helmet. "I think we probably are inclined to not be for the change," Rooney said. "I would say there probably needs to be some consideration of what's too much. Hair out of the helmet is one thing, hair halfway down your back, I don't know."

? Expand instant replay for reviews on field goals, except on those where the ball rises above the uprights because of camera angles.

? Allow the winner of the opening coin flip to defer its choice to the second half, mimicking the college rule.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: New Rules-Maybe

As usual like some, hate others.

Like the coin flip rule, the defense getting a headset in their helmet.

Hate the hair, and the seeding rules.

Not sure about the receiver out of bounds

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

the wr one would be the most stupidest thing to change.. so basically there would be no point to throw a ball to the wr by the sidelines.. b/c if they catch it all the defender has to do is push him out and there is no catch.. stupid stupid stupid... also the hair thing.. i only see like 5 ppl that has long hair.. y the big deal?? i hate the seeding thing too b/c if that is changed then y are there divisions?? should just be one big ass pool then for afc and nfc...
evrything else i like...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
These are all stupid. I'd much rather they just make it legal to touch the quarterback again.
How dare you think the QBs should be allowed to be touched (with the exception of our own)? I mean that would make them...football players (just like our QB)!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
How dare you think the QBs should be allowed to be touched (with the exception of our own)? I mean that would make them...football players (just like our QB)!
Tom Brady is against that rule, so it isn't gonna happen.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Like the coin flip one
Don't like removing the 5 yard facemask as the everything will likely become 15 yards
Out of bounds, I am not really sure the purpose of this change ?
Hair rule sucks leave alone
Filed goals review - sure whatever

One change I woud love to see with all the advantages to the offense recently is pass inetrference moved to 15 yards like college and not the point of the infraction.
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:

Basically, college usually seems to be a step ahead as far as making rules that work.
Yeah, but they lose points for the BCS.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post

One change I woud love to see with all the advantages to the offense recently is pass inetrference moved to 15 yards like college and not the point of the infraction.
I think this topic was already on the owners meeting table a couple years ago but they gave it the boot.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,717 Times in 1,572 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I just don't understand the out of bounds rule for the recievers that has to be the dumbest one yet.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Quote:
Now THAT is something I could get behind. I can't think of many things more infuriating than watching the other team get rewarded for throwing up a 50-yard moonball that nobody's going to catch, then have it count just like a reception because a guy kind of got bumped on the arm.

I also think the out-of-bounds rule is another case where it'd be a stupid change, unless they adopted the college rules entirely (meaning 1 foot).

Basically, college usually seems to be a step ahead as far as making rules that work.
Ya seems to make too much sense for the owners to bring in a rule like this.
I also hate seeing sometimes quetionable infractions cost a team 50 yards + sometimes, specially since pass interfernce is often a judgement call by the official.
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote