Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default WTF is going on in Ann Arbor?

Does this explain why WVU produces players like Pac Man?

http://www.ohio.com/sports/17042611.html?page=all&c=y

Michigan lineman says values 'eroded'
Boren critical of program, leaves team
Published on Thursday, Mar 27, 2008

From Beacon Journal wire services

Offensive lineman Justin Boren says he's left the Michigan football team because the program's ''family values have eroded.''
The 6-foot-3, 310-pound Boren would have been one of two returning starters on the offensive line next season and the Wolverines' most experienced lineman. Boren, a sophomore, started every game last season, either at center or left guard.
Boren left the team Monday. On Wednesday he released a statement saying in part: ''Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from (former) coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together.
''I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. . . . That I am unable to perform under these circumstances at the level I expect of myself, and my teammates and Michigan fans deserve, is why I have made the decision to leave.''
Boren told reporters after Michigan's first spring practice 10 days ago that adapting to new coach Rich Rodriguez's no-huddle spread offense was physically challenging. He mentioned the difficulty the offensive linemen had constantly running to the line of scrimmage.
In comments reported by the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press and the Ann Arbor News, Rodriguez said Tuesday that he would not discuss Boren's decision.
''I don't know if we'll have any more (attrition), but we're forging ahead with guys that play for Michigan,'' Rodriguez said.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087
Default Re: WTF is going on in Ann Arbor?

I think Michigan really screwed up getting Rodriguez

They had 6'7" QB Mallett ready to takeover this year but he transferred. Mallett has all the skills to be the top QB in college football
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Mallett is now at Arkansas, the Philosphy of Rich Rod doesn't have a "pro" style offense. Not good for guys looking for a future in the NFL.

I think the kids at Michigan realize its going to take time to "rebuild" the program to match Rich Rod's style, and since they are probably tired of losing to OSU every year, losing for a couple more years doesn't seem like fun to the upper classmen.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

College football. I'm actually a little upset that Michigan hired that dude. Michigan was a great source of NFL caliber talent on offense. Now they'll be another school to avoid on draft day.

Kind of sad.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Yes College football...hence the Thread Title, NCAA Football.

my friend is an Ohio State fan, he loves the Michigan Rich Rod Hire.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Michigan fan. Really starting to wonder what yhe issue is. I was hopwful about this hire, but I'm starting to regress and wish they stayed in-house.

Loooooooooooong year coming
Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
Michigan fan. Really starting to wonder what yhe issue is. I was hopwful about this hire, but I'm starting to regress and wish they stayed in-house.

Loooooooooooong year coming
He's a guy with huge character issues who runs a high school offense. Ron English would have been a better hire.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

I hoped they would promote English. I was happy at first with RR... I guess I thought Michigan is too classy of a place to be effected by the character flaws of a coach or those he recruits... maybe i was wrong. It's gonna be hard to root for them now.

I guess I'll follow the PAnthers a bit closer for a few years.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

RR is flawed, as a person, hence the problem children he always surrounds himself with.

Pac Man Jones was a Rich Rod guy...nuff said.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
He's a guy with huge character issues who runs a high school offense. Ron English would have been a better hire.
RR's offense IS Urban Meyer's offense, et al. Rodriguez used to hold a school to educate other programs how to defend against it*. Why? Because when it's properly manned and executed (at the college level) it CAN'T be stopped. The system isn't flawed, the man is.

*Because someone will ask (someone always asks), OSU ran a version of the spread option with Troy Smith as a direct result of attending RR's "school". Here's more:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...e=NCFHeadlines

Coaches have come from all over to West Virginia each winter to pick up tidbits of the spread formation and see if it might work in their own systems. Usually the coaches are from programs that don't play the Mountaineers.

Urban Meyer studied the spread scheme before his coaching stints at Bowling Green and Utah.

After Tulane went 12-0 in 1998 and averaged 45 points per game, Northwestern paid a visit to Rodriguez and introduced the system to the Big Ten. Rodriguez said later he may have given away too much information.

Other coaches came to Morgantown from places like Ohio State, Nebraska, Florida State and Michigan-beater Appalachian State to take notes. And next fall, Michigan fans will have the spread on their side.

Last edited by fansince'76; 03-28-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments.
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote