Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
jtmill
Water Boy

Member Number: 3671
Default Greg Lloyd

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO ... GREG LLOYD
Ex-NFL player fights to restore ties with his kids

By JOHN HOLLIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/31/08

You don't just waltz right into the Oh Do Kwan Martial Arts Center.

Not unless you want to meet intimidating former NFL linebacker Greg Lloyd up close and personal.

Greg Lloyd, former linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers, works with kids in his tae kwon do class in Fayetteville.

Students are required to bow as a gesture of respect when first entering the building and then again to the American flag before taking to the floor.

"It's a requirement, but it's about respect," said Lloyd, a fourth-degree black belt in tae kwon do who has been teaching at the Fayetteville school since 1998.

"Respect for others and respect for themselves."

That intensity and rigid adherence to the minutest detail is what helped make Lloyd a five-time Pro Bowler during a standout 12-year NFL career spent mostly with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

They're also among the personal characteristics that his ex-wife Rhonda cited when she had Lloyd arrested after accusing him of shoving a gun into his son's mouth in 2001 and of pointing a gun at her head a year later.

Lloyd, a Fort Valley native who first took up tae kwon do in the late 1980s, has insisted the charges were trumped up because of the acrimonious divorce the couple was going through at the time.

He maintains his innocence of all charges.

"I can't stop one woman from being bitter and trying to ruin my life," he said during a recent interview.

Greg Lloyd Jr. was 15 at the time authorities alleged that his father shoved the gun in his mouth as punishment for his poor grades.

His father was tried twice on a charge of aggravated assault, but never convicted.

The elder Lloyd did plead no contest in 2004 to a simple battery charge resulting from the alleged December 2002 incident involving his ex-wife, however. He says he regrets that decision, which he now attributes to poor advice from his attorney at the time.

By then, Rhonda Lloyd already had taken out a restraining order against her ex-husband, so he hasn't seen any of the couple's three children — James, Tiana or Greg Jr. — since 2003.

A ferocious defensive playmaker who helped carry the Steelers to Super Bowl XXX in 1996, Greg Lloyd objects to the assumption by some that he and the person they saw play on the field every Sunday were one and the same.

Football "is a violent game," he said. "It still is a violent game. I made a living from playing football, but that's not who I really am."

Joaquin Bonilla, a fifth-degree black belt who runs the Oh Do Kwan school, knew the entire Lloyd family.

He stuck by the former football player when his legal troubles began.

"It wasn't fair," Bonilla said. "What happened to him was not right, but I was never going to give up on him. I was looking at a guy I knew was innocent."

Even years later, Lloyd, 42, now remarried with two stepchildren, is still going rounds with his ex-wife.

He's still trying to retrieve some of the $80,000 he accuses her of taking from their joint account, not to mention the $12,000 Rolex watch and wedding ring he alleges she also possesses.

Efforts to reach Rhonda Lloyd for this story were unsuccessful.

Steve Harris, her Fayetteville-based attorney, did not return two phone calls seeking comment.

Greg Lloyd hopes to someday cement the fragmented pieces of his own family by first resuming a relationship with his oldest son, who will be a sophomore weakside linebacker this fall at the University of Connecticut.

In the meantime, the once-feared linebacker who was named to the Pittsburgh Steelers' 75th anniversary team last fall continues to make a name for himself.

Only now as "Master Lloyd."

Still physically fit at a sculpted 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighing 242 pounds, Lloyd teaches two classes per week to youngsters who weren't even alive when he first began terrorizing NFL quarterbacks and ball carriers.

He is more father figure than coach, often dispensing life lessons he hopes they will take with them.

Several of his charges were among the school's 18 students who competed at the recent regional tae kwon do championships in Atlanta, winning 12 gold medals while qualifying 17 for this summer's national championships in Madison, Wis.

Lloyd, however, said he wants nothing more than just to eventually put things right with his own family.

"All I want is what's mine," he said. "I want to be left alone, and I want my relationship with my kids."

• "What ever happened to ..." is a weekly feature catching up with people in the news. Are you wondering about the fate or fortune of former newsmakers? Tell us who and e-mail dgibson@ajc.com. Please put "What ever happened to" in the reference line.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ge_tab_newstab

Last edited by fansince'76; 03-31-2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added article link.
jtmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225
Default Re: Greg Lloyd

Excellent... Thanks for posting this. He's always been a favorite Steeler of mine.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Great story. I'm glad he's doing well, and I believe him to be innocent.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I'm not sure what to think about Greg.

I can understand the problems with the ex-wife, but, according to an article I read in another magazine, his son wants nothing to do with him as well.

I loved him as a player, but not so much beyond that.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I'm not sure what to think about Greg.

I can understand the problems with the ex-wife, but, according to an article I read in another magazine, his son wants nothing to do with him as well.

I loved him as a player, but not so much beyond that.
Yeah, I'm in the same camp. Can be a legal "he said, she said" but when your kids want nothing to do with you.....it might be a sign of things.

Great player, tough guy.....but I never confuse admiring somebodys athletic ability with their personal ability.

Joe Montana may be the greatest QB ever, but he divorced wife #2 by leaving her a message at the 49ers front desk. Now that is a classy guy I admire
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

nice post.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Great story. I'm glad he's doing well, and I believe him to be innocent.
If he actually put the gun to the childs mouth or anything for that matter, then he Is Not Innocent by No Means! As far as him 5 years later fighting over a stupid ring and letting that come between him and his 3 children, not just JR... This guy was a pretty darn good player, but a dad/father he Is Not
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

he sounds like a zero to me.

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
brsteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 2625

These things are always impossible to figure out. A son could want nothing to do with their father because the mother poisoned his thoughts on his dad. Then again, it could be for very legitimate reasons.

In the end, we'll never know because we weren't there. But as a player, you had to love watching Lloyd.

As a person? Who knows.
brsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

I sceond it... great player... dunno about his personal life.