Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 03-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199
Default Why we won't draft a guard and Starks' status

I don't think we will be drafting a guard this year. I also believe I know why Starks is dangling at the moment. Two scenarios below describe why we aren't currently negotiating with Starks.

1. Chris Williams (the only pure LT besides Long, all the others can play LT but may be better suited for RT) falls all the way to 23. We draft him. Starks is no longer highly needed and we can offer less. Smith and Starks are the starting tackles with Williams getting one year to groom before taking over in his second year when Smith leaves. This also can move Colon back to guard where he belongs and we have Colon, Kemo, Simmons, Mahan at guard with Hartwig at center. This is the less likely of the two.

2. In round 1 we go defense, be it d-line or corner then in round 3 we start looking at RT. Whether it's in round 3, 4, whatever, we look for guys like Richardson or Barton that have value and can play RT but just aren't quick enough for LT. Starks gets signed (at the age of 26 mind you, he's plenty young) for LT, Smith moves to RT (where he started his career and may be better suited now). We still have the heavy load of guards listed above, Colon, Kemo, Simmons and Mahan with Hartwig at center. Colon can fill in at tackle along with Essex in case of injury and the 3rd/4th round tackle can learn for a year and take over in year two at RT.

For a long time I thought we would go OT in the 1st round for sure, but the more thought I give it, I think our 1st day will have 2 defenders for sure, probably the first two picks. Just a hunch.
Give It To Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
steelmann58
Water Boy

Member Number: 5299
Default Re: Why we won't draft a guard and Starks' status

they will draft a guard somewhere within the first 3 rounds
steelmann58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Williams is the one I wanted since 1/2 way through the collage season. I hope your right, but I have to say, I don't think so.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,038 Posts

I think, you are right that at guard there is enough talent with Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Mahan, Hartwig, all being able to play there.

Williams is a true LT in the fact that he is athletic, long arms, good technique, etc. But have you really heard of his run blocking ability??? He is an intelligent player that is not gonna get you much in the way of overpowering DE's in the run game.

That's why the solid LT prospects that have the ability to pass protect well and aggressive enough to run block are Long, Clady, Albert and maybe Otah. I like Williams, but just dont think he is a Steeler.

He will be gone by 23 anyways. Broncos maybe.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
one side only
Water Boy

Member Number: 8360

I don't disagree with your reasoning at all, but I think they may go WR, especially if Sweed is there.
one side only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think, you are right that at guard there is enough talent with Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Mahan, Hartwig, all being able to play there.

Williams is a true LT in the fact that he is athletic, long arms, good technique, etc. But have you really heard of his run blocking ability??? He is an intelligent player that is not gonna get you much in the way of overpowering DE's in the run game.

That's why the solid LT prospects that have the ability to pass protect well and aggressive enough to run block are Long, Clady, Albert and maybe Otah. I like Williams, but just dont think he is a Steeler.

remember quality not quantity...
Old 04-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by one side only View Post
I don't disagree with your reasoning at all, but I think they may go WR, especially if Sweed is there.
we wont go reciever until the second day... (or at least we shouldn't... unless doucet is available in the second)
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
remember quality not quantity...
Yeah, but I just dont think Williams is a good fit as a physical run blocker. Maybe during the interviews they might find that he can be coached up to that.

I liken him to my friend that is an engineer. He can spend all day thinking about the theoretical best way to technically build something.......but by then the rest of us all have it built.

Great technique is good, but I'd rather have poor technique and great results. Just git er done!! I think I'm confusing the issue.

The short of it is when I coach highschool football players I tell them to make mistakes at 100 mph instead of walking around at half speed trying to do things perfectly. Rather have an aggressive guy than a technician that isnt agressive.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,630 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

have you seen somewhere, that it said he is not a good run blocker?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

Albert is ranked so high he is going to go before we pick

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote