Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' Tomlin offers surprising prediction

Steelers' Tomlin offers surprising prediction
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 2, 2008

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- EBay and the rising Cleveland Browns were among the topics that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin discussed with reporters Tuesday during a media breakfast at the NFL owners meetings.
Tomlin has a staff member check eBay to see if any old Steelers playbooks are on sale (and, of course, to purchase them if they are up for bidding).

As for the latter, Tomlin, when prodded, picked the Browns as the favorites in the AFC North for the upcoming season.

"Sure, he said, "I'll say that."

When word got around of Tomlin's prediction, reporters stopped at the table, where he held court. They asked the second-year coach if he indeed had tabbed the once woebegone Browns as the team to beat in the division.
Tomlin seemed amused by the scene -- and the fact that predictions made five months before the start of the season mean even less than preseason games.

"That's why some of this is funny to me," Tomlin said. "I understand, you guys got to sell newspapers. Have at it. Truth be known, I'm not into prognosticating who the favorite is. I could care less."

There is no denying that the Browns, who have had just two winning seasons this decade, have positioned themselves to make a run at the AFC North title that the Steelers won in 2007.

Cleveland, coming off a surprising 10-6 season, has fortified its offensive and defensive lines during free agency. The Browns provided Pro Bowl quarterback Derek Anderson with another downfield receiving threat when they signed wideout Donte' Stallworth.

Not that Cleveland coach Romeo Crennel agreed with what Tomlin said. Same goes for Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who called the Steelers the "team to beat."

"Of course that's what Mike would say," said Crennel, who was sitting at a table close to Tomlin's during the breakfast, which was attended by AFC head coaches. "I don't begrudge him saying that. If I were in his position, I would say that also. That's why I'm telling you that (the Steelers are) the favorites and we have to catch (them). Until we can beat Pittsburgh, we won't win the division."

The Steelers have lorded over the Browns recently, having beaten them nine times in a row.

If Crennel is looking for help in the unlikeliest of places as he and the Browns try to snap that streak, he may want to check out eBay.

Tomlin talked yesterday about playbooks surfacing on the Web site when the subject of keeping gameplans a secret during the Internet age was broached. He said he heard about a Steelers playbook from a couple of years ago going up for sale on the popular Internet shopping site.

"I think it was maybe like 2004 or something," Tomlin said.

Tomlin pretty much dismissed the notion that an old playbook can be an advantage for an opposing team that gets a hold of it -- just as he did the significance of his anointing the Browns the favorite in the division.

But given the history between the Steelers and Browns, who are bitter rivals, Tomlin may have stirred more than just his coffee yesterday morning by what he said.

"You guys back us into a corner and ask us who we think is going to win a division," Tomlin said with a laugh. "If I had a crystal ball, I'd be sleeping a lot better this time of year."

Note: Troy Polamalu may not have to think about getting a haircut just yet. A proposal that would prohibit a player's hair from covering the name on the back of his jersey has been tabled, and the issue will be revisited in May when the NFL owners meet again. The league wants more input from the NFL Players Association before the proposal is voted on by the owners.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_560179.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin offers surprising prediction

You just have to love tomlin for the way he aproaches things the guy is so laid back,and it looks like polamalu is going to keep his hair atleast another month.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

Nobody wants to be the team to beat, so why say your own team is. Underdog is the way to win it. Some people on here wont understand why he said it but i completely understand, kudos tomlin.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Everyone already knows that the Steelers are, and always will be the Team to beat in the AFC North. Facts are facts. We have the most titles, the most playoff berths, the most wins in the playoffs and the most Superbowls. Those other 3 dogs wish they were us, year in and year out.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Dizzle43
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Everyone already knows that the Steelers are, and always will be the Team to beat in the AFC North. Facts are facts. We have the most titles, the most playoff berths, the most wins in the playoffs and the most Superbowls. Those other 3 dogs wish they were us, year in and year out.

Well said. As for Tomlin, I can't blame him for trying to put the pressure on the Brownies.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Fire him for saying that ... and for not bieng emotional enough on the field and .....

Bum Phillips (the old luva blue Housten Oiler coach) had the greatest comment in this regard in 78 or 79( after getting bum kicked in the AFC Championship game) saying something to the extent: " the door the the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh. This year we knocked on the door, next season we will kick the ***** door down." Of course, they never did.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

Lol when we are the underdogs we win, this is good, not surprised at all.

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

tomlin thinks like everyone here on steelersfever thinks... the browns will be the browns and find a way to screw it all up...
Old 04-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i dont know. the browns played us hard in the second game in pitt. i was there i know..lol... and if they get that defense on key.. they could contend with the mighty steelers for the division.. i wouldnt push them under the rug or take them lightly.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
jason97673
Water Boy

Member Number: 3192

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
i dont know. the browns played us hard in the second game in pitt. i was there i know..lol... and if they get that defense on key.. they could contend with the mighty steelers for the division.. i wouldnt push them under the rug or take them lightly.
Yeah but what are the chances of Cribbs returning kickoffs like he did that game again? Thats the only reason they were even in the game.
jason97673 is offline   Reply With Quote