Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2881
Default My long-awaited visit to the `Burgh

So we left Friday night, and almost got lost right away, when my mom took a wrong turn right here in Buffalo. Almost saw Ralph Wilson Stadium. No joke. But we made it and spent the night in Grove City. And gassed up at Sheetz. And hit Prime Outlets. Including the Steelers Store. Got myself a Steelers cellphone holder. And a new hat, which you will see in the pics. Totally blown away, but I'm sure that the stores in Monroeville and Heinz Field are even bigger, so yeah...next trip for those. We were going to go to Monroeville, but ran out of time. Anyway. Next day. Left for the city at 9 AM. And dude, you guys, it had me at hello. Absolutely gorgeous, and the people...not just in Pittsburgh, but on the way there, too, were probably the nicest people ever. Definite difference between NY and PA is that I think in NY, the universal greeting is the middle finger. For real. Anywho. Pittsburgh. The campus is right downtown, but I love it. I think the library's my favorite part, actually. Good thing, too, because I'll be in the library sciences program. Pitt's library reminds me a lot of the Gannett Center at IC. <3 We also got stuck in the middle of an anti-war protest, complete with boxes representing caskets. There were even cops with dogs searching for bombs. We got out of there ASAP.

After that, we went to the Heinz History Center. Specifically, we checked out the Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum, which was awesome. They had all of the baseball cards and football cards for the Pirates and Steelers. The Clemente display made me cry. The highlight reel they have as you walk in made me cry. I'm going to make it known right here and now that Saturday was the first time my mother had ever seen the Immaculate Reception. This is no joke. They had highlight reels, and memorabilia on display (Sid the Kid's hockey stick! Franco's shoes from the Immaculate Reception!). And they had some interactive stuff, which I loved. They have cardboard representations of Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, with holes that you have to get a nerf football through. I hit Stallworth's cardboard doppelganger several times in the head. Meh. If that had really been him standing there, he'd have had several opportunities to make catches like David Tyree.

So my silly mother thought there were only three bridges. Because there are only three rivers, duh. But no, Mom. And yeah, that's the Roberto Clemente Bridge over there. Yes, we have to cross it to get to the stadium. The stadium! Took us a little while to find, as my mother's driving, and my head's going like an owl. At one point, I look to my right. And there it is. The heavens opened up and light came down. The angels were singing. You know the drill. "I see it!! It's right there!!" "Right where??" "There!!" "Are you sure???" "IT'S MY STADIUM, MOM!!! OF COURSE I'M SURE!!!" And of course, we're going the wrong way. But we do get there...and I have pictures. Two of which can be seen in the Pictures of U thread.

My mom called home, and my bro picked up the phone. "We're in Pittsburgh. At Heinz Field." "You're where??" "We're at the stadium in Pittsburgh. Heinz Field." "No way." Dude does not pay attention. Like, ever.

We drove by PNC Park, but didn't stop. Next time, definitely. Didn't make it to Monroeville, will also be saving that for next time. Drove by Kennywood. And, uh, the scene of Ben Roethlisberger's crash. We pass Mercy Hospital and near the 10th Street Bridge, and my mom's like, "Where are we?" Well...yeah. #1 way to tell I watched too much news footage that day. Anywho. Oh, didn't make it to Primanti's either, but that'll be for next time, too. No Peppi's, so I didn't get a Roethlisburger (also known in my house as the Sheer Heart Attack on a Bun). Next time, I suppose. If it doesn't kill me. I've seen what's in those things, yo.

We actually ended up not staying in Pittsburgh that night, instead headed back here. Looked for a hotel starting in Grove City, and there was nothing until Dunkirk, NY. Only an hour from here, but we just couldn't make it any further. While in Grove City, actually, we ate at Eat`n Park. Best restaurant ever. Got free smiley cookies, too. Yum. I need to move, like, yesterday. Pittsburgh, I love you, and I hope to truly be able to call you home.
steelpinstripe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: My long-awaited visit to the `Burgh

Glad you made it, and got to hear the angels sing !!

I hear them every time I see the stadium in person.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

They must bring the Hammer of the Gods on Saturdays, Sundays, and sometimes Mondays. The city as a whole was an amazing experience. Whoever told me it makes the greatest entrance of any city in America wasn't kidding.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Wait until you get a taste of some of that food too.

Primanti's - the best
The Roethlisburger - is definitely a heart attack waiting to happen.

Also, make sure you check out Betti's restaurant (Grille 36) on the river between Heinz and PNC Park. Great food, above average prices, but above average servings.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
NastyLloyd95
Water Boy

Member Number: 6060

I had an awesome time this winter in the Burgh, people were great. Food was great, loved it!
NastyLloyd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyLloyd95 View Post
people were great
This was key right here. People in Pennsylvania in general are amazing compared to New York, it seems like. Of course, I should know this...two of my closest friends are Exhibit A - one is from Pittsburgh, the other from Wilkes-Barre.

And yeah, the food...we only managed to hit Eat`n Park, but still. Eat`n Park is totally my favorite restaurant now.