Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Groves, Steelers strike chord

Groves, Steelers strike chord
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 7, 2008

Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Quentin Groves sacks quarterbacks, which is why the Steelers attended his Pro Day last month and arranged for his official interview today at the team's South Side facility.
As much as the Steelers seem to like Groves, a two-time all-Southeastern Conference selection, Groves has even deeper feelings for the Steelers.

"Ever since I was little, I was always a Steeler fan,'' said Groves, who grew up in Mississippi and told people at the NFL Scouting Combine in February that he wants the Steelers to draft him. "When I saw that black and gold for the first time, it was like, 'man, I love the way those guys play defense.'

"I'm kind of an old-school guy. Mean Joe Greene, he was probably one of the best I've ever seen doing what he does. I didn't grow up watching them but back over time, you watched guys like Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann -- how did he make that catch, how did he make that throw? I've got a chance to be a part of that if Pittsburgh drafts me. It's just those guys, and the things they did for that organization.''

The Steelers' feeling about Groves is apparently mutual. And the Steelers have plenty of company.
Groves is also scheduled to visit Cleveland, Cincinnati, Miami, San Francisco, New Orleans, New England, the Giants and Jets.

Give or take Ohio State's Vernon Gholston, a likely top-10 selection, Groves is considered the best defensive end/outside linebacker in the April 26-27 draft.

In case you missed coach Mike Tomlin's memo, the Steelers, who have the No. 23 overall pick, could use another pass rusher off the edge.

Groves led the SEC with 23 quarterback pressures in 2007. A classic speed rusher, he's Auburn's career sack leader with 26.

"A lot of the great players in the NFL are from the SEC. It speaks to the level of competition I faced. The competition is unbelievable,'' Groves said. "Every team's looking for that great pass rusher since the New York Giants won the Super Bowl. I'm athletic enough to play linebacker, but I'm also strong and physical enough to play defensive end. I feel like I can take my ability to the next level.''

The Steelers thought enough about Groves' potential to send Tomlin and other staff members to observe Auburn's Pro Day on March 10.

Recovering from a severe case of the flu that resulted in him losing 10 pounds, Groves received motivation from an unlikely source.

"Coach Tomlin was giving me some words of inspiration because I was the only one doing the linebacker drills. He was urging me from the sideline,'' Groves said. "He was saying, 'C'mon, Big Q, don't let them see you tired.' I said, 'I got you coach.' For a head coach to do that speaks volumes for him as a person.''

That's when Groves came to realize how the Steelers -- his Steelers -- really felt about him.

"That did two things for me,'' he said. "It let me know that, hey, they're really interested in me as a player. And it gave me motivation to do even better.''

Groves plays with a non-stop motor, but he's so much more. He's an energy guy with talent who dominated in the best conference in college football. The Steelers apparently like what they saw on tape. Today they hope to learn more about the player under the helmet.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_560987.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Groves, Steelers strike chord

You talk about a pass rush groves on one end and woodley on the other wow.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

If the top Offensive Lineman are gone this would interest me. Scout.com lists him at a 4.43 40! I doubt that is correct. Also, isn't he light for a DE in a 3-4?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
This just can't be repeated enough!!

1.23 Quentin Groves
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
If the top Offensive Lineman are gone this would interest me. Scout.com lists him at a 4.43 40! I doubt that is correct. Also, isn't he light for a DE in a 3-4?
3-4 OLB, but I also see him and Woodley creating havoc lined up at DE in a 4 man D-line on obvious passing downs.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Groves and the Steelers appear to be a perfect fit for each other. The kid has talent, appears to have a good work ethic and would be honored to play for the Steelers. Sounds like a winner to me.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
of course i have always thought highly of woodley b/c he played at U of M

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Steelers Since '75
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8308

In my first mock draft I had hoped the Steelers would trade down and get some extra picks later in the draft and would take Groves with the first pick.
Steelers Since '75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

The Steelers must give big time points to a prospect that wants to wear the Black and Gold. This kid sounds like he is a player. I want to hear Timmons say he loves being a Steeler. PLEASE DRAFT ATTITUDE
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

that would be a nice addition to a pass rusher w/ groves.. all th epossibilities.. but i guess we have to wait and see of he is there or not.

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote