Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Randy Pausch Passes Away This Morning

http://news.steelers.com/article/88307/

Pausch's NFL dream part of tonight's ABC Special
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon University professor who touched hearts and lives with his ?last lecture? about achieving childhood dreams, did just that this past fall when he ?practiced? with the Steelers at the team?s facility one day.

Pausch, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that could not be cured, always wanted to play in the NFL. He got the chance to catch passes, kick the football and just have fun following a practice last season.

While he didn?t see any game action his time on the practice field will be featured tonight, Wednesday, April 9 on an ABC Special ? The Last Lecture: A love story for your life with Diane Sawyer. The show airs at 10 p.m. Eastern Time.

"There was a definite sense," Pausch told Sawyer, "when I put that talk together, to use another football expression, you know, I wanted to leave it all on the field. ? If I thought it was important, it's in there. I played in football games where you walk off the field and the scoreboard didn't end up the way you wanted. But you knew that you really did give it all. And the other team was too strong. Yeah, I'm not going to beat the cancer. I tried really hard ? but sometimes you're just not going to beat the thing?I wanted to walk off the stage and say anything I thought was important, I had my hour."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447
Default Re: Randy Pausch and the Steelers on ABC tonight

I'm looking forward to this. What an inspiration this man is.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206
Default Randy Pausch

So earlier this week i saw a commercial on ABC about a man named Randy Pausch, during it, it showed him wearing a hines ward jersey so I was like wow thats cool. Ironicaly today at school my rabaii told us about Randy Paush a Carnegie Mellon University professor who has a deathly illness which he will die from. We watched his "last lecture" which was on of the most inspirational amazing things I have ever watched. As I and my classmates all got choked up, we relized how special this man is. He was said to be dead by september 2007, but is still living. I used to hear about how people even with illnesses can get though it by being happy and living life right, this is what Randy has done, its just amazing.

It is really nice, during his speech he talked about how as a kid one of his childhood dreams was to play in the NFL , since living in the burgh he got the oppurtunity to practice with the steelers. There are pictures of him with players and mike tomlin. This isnt even the begining to explaining this amazing man. There is a special tonight on ABC at 10pm eastern time all on Randy. I and I know he would appreciate if you would watch, it will be a life changing experience. Thanks.

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com

Last edited by fansince'76; 04-11-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Removed article link as it was also listed in first post.
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Default Re: Randy Pausch

Here is his whole 76 minute speech (the last lecture)

[YOUTUBE]ji5_MqicxSo[/YOUTUBE]

But if you dont have the time (make time its life changing) or would like to see the abreviated version he gave on oprah

[YOUTUBE]roRGBqGgbqY[/YOUTUBE]

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

The Special just started on ABC!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I have seen Professor Pauch's last lecture several times and every time, it moves me more and more. He is an amazing man with deep character and the strongest spirit I've ever witnessed. He gives me and every other person who has ever battled cancer the strength and will to keep on fighting!

XT works at Carnegie Mellon and has had the honor of meeting this incredible man.

Thank you, Randy, for the inspiration you have given so many. God Bless you and your family and keep on keepin' on!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Very true hometowngal, just watching the special right now on ABC makes me tear up, its so sad such an amazing man like Randy has to die so early, He is just amazing, G-d please let Randy live for a very long time.

EDIT: They are about to show him with the steelers players and mike. Tune to ABC

Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Wow so he goes to the practice field, Hines his favorate player throws him a bunch of passes and Randy caught everyone! He was great, He even kicked a field goal! and it was good! He spoke with Ben just after his motorcycle surgery, He then started crying and saying how amazing this was and said "these guys are so big " and began to laugh! What an amazing man!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Primetime / Steelers

For you West Coasters an FYI

Tonight on Primetime at 10:00 they are doing a story about a professor at Carnegie Mellon that was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. It's a inspirational story about him and the guy is a huge Steeler fan and some of it is filmed at the Steelers facility and they talk to some of the players including Ward.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I have seen Professor Pauch's last lecture several times and every time, it moves me more and more. He is an amazing man with deep character and the strongest spirit I've ever witnessed. He gives me and every other person who has ever battled cancer the strength and will to keep on fighting!

XT works at Carnegie Mellon and has had the honor of meeting this incredible man.

Thank you, Randy, for the inspiration you have given so many. God Bless you and your family and keep on keepin' on!
Yes, I have had the chance to meet him - he's a genuinely awesome guy. When they aired his lecture on Oprah, the assistant dean scrambled around just to find somewhere people can have a chance to watch it live, and someone stepped up to the plate and offered their cable connection. His office in Newell-Simon Hall is still there with his nameplate at the door, and I believe they are "retiring" it. He also has a lab named in his honor, also in Newell-Simon Hall. His story has touched so many people, and I know you in particular have been particularly moved, since you are a 2-time cancer survivor. I'm glad he has been able to live out his dreams - he truly deserves them!