Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default State Department: Carter Meeting With Terrorists 'Not in the Interest of Peace'

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348989,00.html

NEW YORK ? Former President Jimmy Carter's upcoming meeting with senior officials of the Palestinian terror group Hamas is "not in the interest of peace," according to State Department spokesman Sean McCormack.

FOX News confirmed on Thursday that Carter will travel to Syria next week for an unprecedented meeting with the senior leadership of Hamas. The State Department has designated Hamas a "foreign terrorist organization," a stance McCormack reiterated.

McCormack said that although the State Department would "provide support befitting a former president," Carter had been "counseled" earlier this week that such a meeting was not in the interest of U.S. foreign policy.

Carter originally was slated to travel throughout the Mideast with a group of statesmen and philanthropists including Kofi Annan, the former secretary-general of the United Nations, but Carter now will be traveling without the group.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called Annan on Tuesday, according to the State Department, which would not confirm whether the Syria trip was discussed in the conversation; however, Annan pulled out of the trip after the call. A spokesman for Annan in Geneva could not be reached for comment.

McCormack once said of the prospect of meeting with Meshal, "That?s not something that we could possibly conceive of."

Earlier Thursday a senior Hamas official confirmed reports of the meeting, according to the Associated Press.

The official, Mohammed Nazzal, told the AP that Carter sent an envoy to Damascus requesting a meeting with Hamas leadership, including Meshal, and that Hamas "welcomed the request." The meeting will take place on April 18, he said.

Meshal, who lives in Syria to avoid being arrested by the Israeli government, leads Hamas from his seat in Damascus, where he is a guest of President Bashar al-Assad?s regime.

Carter would be the first Western leader of his stature to meet with Meshal. Though Meshal met with Clinton officials in the 1990s, the Bush administration has sought to isolate Hamas, enforcing rigid sanctions on its government in Gaza and refusing to meet with its leaders unless it recognizes Israel and abandons terror.

The two founders of Hamas, the cleric Ahmed Yassin and Abdel Aziz al-Rantissi, were killed by Israeli air strikes in 2004.

FOX News' Nina Donaghy contributed to this report.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220
Default Re: State Department: Carter Meeting With Terrorists 'Not in the Interest of Peace'

Ahhh Fox News. The Voice of the 4th Reich.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: State Department: Carter Meeting With Terrorists 'Not in the Interest of Peace'

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
Ahhh Fox News. The Voice of the 4th Reich.
Could just as easily be called the Voice of Anti-Communism.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Could just as easily be called the Voice of Anti-Communism.
Anti-communism and outright hate speech are two different things.

Fox news channel is very (c)overtly anti-gay, anti-anythingnotchristian. When it comes to race/ethnicity isues they are not as blatant on thier stance but if you observe closely they are very pro-white.

Mind you, I'm got giving any of the other news services a pass. There is no truly partial news service that does not spin to the right or the left.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I'm rethinking my position on this. Israel is considering opening talks with some terrorist backing nations, and we aren't saying or doing anything to stop them, so it seems odd for us not to consider all options. I'm not necessarily saying I agree with negotiating with terrorist regimes, but I think it's time to try new approaches to old problems.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I'm rethinking my position on this. Israel is considering opening talks with some terrorist backing nations, and we aren't saying or doing anything to stop them, so it seems odd for us not to consider all options. I'm not necessarily saying I agree with negotiating with terrorist regimes, but I think it's time to try new approaches to old problems.

I'd agree. The old ways do not work and are only making the problems in the world worse. Anger only runs deeper when people fight and men and women only end up dead, innocent or not.

Time to stop arguing over who is right and wrong. WE ARE ALL WRONG! Every country or group is guilty of provoking and prolonging all of these conflicts. Time to put it to rest.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

What a concept. Not doing something the Ivy Leaguers said how to do.

I just have to wonder how much longer we're going to let the "educated" folks who have no common sense run the country.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,010 Times in 4,558 Posts

for some reason this current regime kinda pulled the same shit when bill richardson went to north korea to retrieve some bodies of our fallen servicemen.

while he was there he did some nuclear program shutdown negotiations that kinda "showed up" the current administration.

then again, richardson has been looked at much more favorably by hostile nations as opposed to those currently in power.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ill+Richardson

Quote:
The Bush administration has made clear that the focus of the trip is on the expected transfer of U.S. remains, and Richardson says he is not planning to negotiate nuclear matters.

But analysts say Richardson's visit might still help ease tensions between the North and the United States.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
What a concept. Not doing something the Ivy Leaguers said how to do.

I just have to wonder how much longer we're going to let the "educated" folks who have no common sense run the country.

Ahhh. 'common sense' Every time someone comes up with an idea that consrvatives do not agree with because it knocks thier feelings of superiority down a notch or two, they drop 'common sense' on the rest of the world. I'd pay to have one conservative explain common sense to me and to be able to express thier opinions without the posturing and insulting of those the do not agree with.

I dunno, I would consider ideas that have this mythical 'common sense' to be those that lend themselves toward discussion and negotiation rather than terror and conflict. I would say comon sense would lead toward finding a way to keep more people alove.
The 'common sense' that is preached on any side seems to me to be the one that causes the most problems and gets the most pepole killed.

I'm the last person to say to anyone to lay there and take what people dish out, but change starts with action and positive actions will have people follow them by the example before. Same as negative actions have been doing since the beginning of time.

Conservativism sucks as does liberalism. All it is is devisive, just like political party affiliations. Religions have been perverted to these ponts as well. Maybe we should all just try to appreciate each other and this world will be a better place. Utopian to say the least, but why can it not be possible?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Utopia can not be possible because Humans have the power of Free Will.

You can never give everyone everything they need or want to create a Utopian society as long as people have a free will to take their own path.

99 people out of 100 might want to go down the right path, but that 1 person, wants to go left...if you do anything at all, to thwart his personal decision to go left, you by design and definition, end the Utopian society by imposing the majority's will upon the minorty.