Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,205 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Gun Control Laws

Any arguments for?
Any arguments against?

I am against the restriction of firearms myself. The thought being, restrictions only affect law abiding citizens, not criminals. These restrictions serve to disarm we citizens whereas a criminal will continue to obtain, carry and use firearms of all types..., and obviously for no good purpose.

In case your curious; I'm preparing a speech on this issue for a class I am taking. I have my main points pretty much together but, they are all my thoughts and I'm sure many of you may be able to add things (for or against) that perhaps I hadn't thought of. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220
Default Re: Gun Control Laws

Personally, against any restrictions.

If people are not hurting anyone else with their actions, then why should they be held accountable for the actions of a few? One thing about guns is they make a good scapegoat for the ills of society.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
Personally, against any restrictions.

If people are not hurting anyone else with their actions, then why should they be held accountable for the actions of a few? One thing about guns is they make a good scapegoat for the ills of society.
EXACTLY! Restrictions give a false sense of security for those who don't understand that "guns" are indifferent.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Indeed. These school shootings in the last 10 years (which seem to have subsided for the most part) were REALLY good for this. Parents and adults had no time for the kids and their problems. When the kids went off the wall we did not blame the human indifference, but it was much easier to blame the inanimate object.

We are all perfect human beings, especially when we have something to blame!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Hmmm...

Ok.. though I am completely against gun control... let me give a couple arguments from that side to bolster your work.

1. Compounding the problem. While many will argue that gun-control will take the guns out of the hands of the ordinary law-abiding citizen, the question becomes, what happens to the gun when the citizen is finished with it? The gun becomes another tool to barter and trade, and it often ends up in the hands of those who are not as careful. Thus, while it begins life in the hands of the lawful citizen, it does not end up there.

2. Gun control creates a larger matrix for police to act. When there are various laws on the books banning guns, the police therefore have more legal weapons to remove guns from the streets. Thus, if a city has banned all handguns, the police have the authority to apprehend and arrest ANYONE that is carrying a gun. Thus, more crimes will be stopped. If guns were not banned, then they would be be able to stop a person, as there is no constitutional right to random apprehension by the police.

Now ask me if I actually believe any of that . . .

But hey, at least it is two arguments that you can use.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Hmmm...

Ok.. though I am completely against gun control... let me give a couple arguments from that side to bolster your work.

1. Compounding the problem. While many will argue that gun-control will take the guns out of the hands of the ordinary law-abiding citizen, the question becomes, what happens to the gun when the citizen is finished with it? The gun becomes another tool to barter and trade, and it often ends up in the hands of those who are not as careful. Thus, while it begins life in the hands of the lawful citizen, it does not end up there.

2. Gun control creates a larger matrix for police to act. When there are various laws on the books banning guns, the police therefore have more legal weapons to remove guns from the streets. Thus, if a city has banned all handguns, the police have the authority to apprehend and arrest ANYONE that is carrying a gun. Thus, more crimes will be stopped. If guns were not banned, then they would be be able to stop a person, as there is no constitutional right to random apprehension by the police.

I can't speak for anyone else but in my family guns are passed down, inherited. And yes some of us have nice 'expensive' gun collections.

But in my opinion the only people gun control affects are the law abiding people not the criminals who would shoot you anyway.

Card carrying member of the NRA here.

Ask yourself this should we make cars illegal because some chose to drive drunk or get in a high speed chase and kill others?? Is it the cars fault or the person behind the wheel or who pulled the trigger?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Hmmm...

This is a very good point. I would not be against any laws defining the "proper means" for transferring ownership ofa firearm. They do already have an amnesty policy in most towns allowing ffolks to turn in weapons of all kinds with no questions asked. Personally, I would want the value of mine but, would likely go to a dealer.

Quote:

Fair point. I have formulated two arguments here. The first (and I am greatly going to summarize) is to compare it to pot. Pot is widely illegal, yet.....(you know where I'm going with this).

Second, My buddy Jack is a cop and absolutely against gun control. He sited that Florida began allowing thier citizens to arm themselves (carry) and almost immediately the rate of car jackings for example dropped significantly. The thought being that the car jacker had to seriously consider whether or not the person in that vehicle was carrying a gun. "Risk vs. reward" for them. Answer? Effective deterrant.

I very much appreciate your imput Preacher. I will give some more thought to your points whether it be to add to the presentation or prepare for possible questions/arguments after. Precisely what I was looking for.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I can't speak for anyone else but in my family guns are passed down, inherited. And yes some of us have nice 'expensive' gun collections.

But in my opinion the only people gun control affects are the law abiding people not the criminals who would shoot you anyway.

Card carrying member of the NRA here.

Ask yourself this should we make cars illegal because some chose to drive drunk or get in a high speed chase and kill others?? Is it the cars fault or the person behind the wheel or who pulled the trigger?
Yet another point I brought up. We have to take drivers ed in HS. Take a test and get licensed to drive. I'm also not against similar policies concerning firearm ownership. As long as it isn't outlawing the firearm its self.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Yet another point I brought up. We have to take drivers ed in HS. Take a test and get licensed to drive. I'm also not against similar policies concerning firearm ownership. As long as it isn't outlawing the firearm its self.
That would be nice. Here in Idaho, if you hunt you are required to take and pass a hunter education class before you can be licensed to hunt or carry a firearm.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #10
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

Guns are fine just making sure they are kept in the right hands is the key

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote