Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Clinton pounces on Obama's comments about state

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_562135.html

A political tempest over Barack Obama's comments about bitter voters in small towns has given rival Hillary Clinton a new opening to court working-class Democrats 10 days before Pennsylvania's primary.
Obama tried to quell the furor Saturday while conceding he had chosen his words poorly.

"If I worded things in a way that made people offended, I deeply regret that," Obama told the Winston-Salem (N.C.) Journal.

Political insiders differed on whether Obama's comments, which came to light Friday, would become a full-blown political disaster that could prompt party leaders to try to steer the nomination to Clinton even though Obama has more pledged delegates.

The Clinton campaign fueled the controversy in every place and every way it could, hoping charges that Obama is elitist and arrogant would resonate with the swing voters not only in Pennsylvania, but also in upcoming primaries in Indiana and North Carolina.

Obama supporter Anthony Porter, 22, of Wilkinsburg praised the candidate for daring to discuss controversial views that go beyond sterilized sound bites.

"He's right what he says. He says stuff that other people are scared to say, like Martin Luther King did," Porter said yesterday as he took a break from his job at Hyde Park restaurant in the North Side.

Eric Clarke, 42, of Verona said Obama's remarks are a "slap in the face," but doesn't expect they will cost Obama many votes.

"Most of the people he has insulted were not going to vote for him anyway," said Clark, a John McCain supporter.

At issue are comments Obama made privately April 6 at a fundraiser in San Francisco. He was trying to explain his troubles winning over some working-class voters in Pennsylvania, saying they have become frustrated with economic conditions.

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations," Obama said.

The comments, posted Friday on The Huffington Post Web site, set off a blast of criticism from Clinton, Republican nominee-in-waiting John McCain and other GOP officials, and drew attention to a potential Obama weakness -- the image some have that the Harvard-trained lawyer is arrogant and aloof.

Clinton supporters handed out "I'm not bitter" stickers in North Carolina. In Indiana, Clinton told plant workers in Indianapolis that the Illinois senator's comments were "elitist and out of touch."

Expect to see Clinton and McCain repeatedly capitalize on Obama's misstep in attack ads and speeches before and after the Pennsylvania primary April 22, said University of Virginia political science Professor Larry Sabato.

A Newsmax/Zogby survey of 1,002 likely voters in Pennsylvania performed Wednesday and Thursday, before Obama was criticized for his comments about small towns, put Clinton 4 percentage points ahead of Obama -- 47 percent to 43 percent.

Clinton's campaign assembled a news conference yesterday of current and former elected officials from Pennsylvania to rail against Obama. Pittsburgh native and former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack said Obama's remarks were "condescending and disappointing" and undercut his message of hope.

Obama's campaign scrambled to defuse possible damage.

There has been a small "political flare-up because I said something that everybody knows is true, which is that there are a whole bunch of folks in small towns in Pennsylvania, in towns right here in Indiana, in my hometown in Illinois, who are bitter," Obama said yesterday morning at a town hall-style meeting at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind. "They are angry. They feel like they have been left behind. They feel like nobody is paying attention to what they're going through.

"So I said, well you know, when you're bitter you turn to what you can count on. So people, they vote about guns, or they take comfort from their faith and their family and their community. And they get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country."

After acknowledging his previous remarks in California could have been better phrased, he added: "The truth is that these traditions that are passed on from generation to generation, those are important. That's what sustains us. But what is absolutely true is that people don't feel like they are being listened to."

Steve DePietro, 21, of Beaver Falls said he is glad Obama backtracked somewhat from the remarks.

"What he said does not affect the way I think about him. I admire him. It might affect the way the elder population thinks of him," DePietro said

Another politican exposed as an elitist hypocrite.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Clinton pounces on Obama's comments about state

Although I have no intention in voting for him if he does get the nomination, what Obama said WAS true.

Quote:
"They are angry. They feel like they have been left behind. They feel like nobody is paying attention to what they're going through."
When was the last time anybody in the middle class went to the polls with the hope that their vote will actually make a difference? That the candidate they voted for would make a real change if elected? Seriously? Personally, I go to the polls every four years in the interest of doing the least amount of damage by voting for what I feel would be the lesser of two evils. I guess the reason I keep going to the polls is that although I don't believe in the people currently running it, I do still believe in the system itself.

What Obama seemed to fail to mention was what HE would do to try and change this mindset if he were elected. The answer, in short: he wouldn't. And neither will anyone else. When the election is over, all the rhetoric will go out the window and it'll be back to business as usual inside the beltway - pandering to the special interest groups with the deepest pockets. I'm looking forward to the end of the quadrennial lying season.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,981 Times in 3,024 Posts

im a little disappointed mccain jumped all over this, too.

atleast 50% of the country will always be bitter. it was the reps when clinton was in power. just ask rush limbaugh and all his fans (who are the epitome of bitterness).

now we have bitter dems who are unsatisfied with the current regime. no matter who wins in november, the other side will be bitter, disappointed, upset, etc.

hilary turning this molehill into a mountain, is about as generic as LITP's classic "spin and diversion" tactics. its a sign of desperation. and in a real world, everybody is not so happy-go-lucky and care free as her and those she "lived with and represents".
Old 04-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Obama offer anything beyond flowery speeches? That would be a real step forward for him.

I'm afraid that between Obama and McCain, McCain might actually become the better choice.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,298 Times in 2,888 Posts

Micheal Kinsley defines a gaffe as a politician telling the truth

Obama's statement that a lot of folks who played by the rules and are bitter that the economic system of this society continues to piss on them while telling them it is raining is the truth.

The elitist part of the statement is the claim those who are bitter ?cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren?t like them.? I support Obama but he has some 'splaining to do here.

But as far as the elitist sweepstakes is concerned: McCain probably should have been prosecuted as one of the Keating Five & has a second (trophy) wife who is heir to a beer distributorship stated to be worth around $100 million; and Hillary Clinton is ... Hillary Clinton. If anyone is waiting for a non-elitist politician to run for President, be certain to leave milk and cookies by the chimney and maybe Santa will bring that politician to you for Christmas.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,981 Times in 3,024 Posts

Quote:

Micheal Kinsley defines a gaffe as a politician telling the truth
good stuff atl dan.

waiting for a non elitist candidat eis probably like hoping to get a qb who isnt c)cky.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But as far as the elitist sweepstakes is concerned: McCain probably should have been prosecuted as one of the Keating Five & has a second (trophy) wife who is heir to a beer distributorship stated to be worth around $100 million

McCain is a joke. His heroics ended the day he came home from Vietnam.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
McCain is a joke. His heroics ended the day he came home from Vietnam.
I am absolutely SHOCKED (and horrified) that you of all people would make a statement like that, Jeremy.

Have you ever read about McCain's capture, imprisonment and the torture the Vietnamese put him through while he was serving the same country you serve? While I honor all of those who have served and continue to serve our country, I especially have a tremendous amount of respect for those who fought in Vietnam. I have and will always believe that the Vietnam Vets were the least respected and honored of all of the servicemen and woman who have served this country, and were treated like pariahs and lepers by our government not only upon their return, but long after the war had ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain

Quote:
By then a lieutenant commander, McCain was almost killed on July 29, 1967, when he was at the epicenter of the Forrestal fire. McCain escaped from his burning jet and was trying to help another pilot escape when a bomb exploded;[31] McCain was struck in the legs and chest by fragments.[32] The ensuing fire killed 134 sailors and took 24 hours to control.[33][34] As Forrestal headed for repairs, McCain volunteered for the USS Oriskany.

McCain being pulled out of Truc Bach Lake in Hanoi and about to become a prisoner of war[35] on October 26, 1967John McCain's capture and imprisonment began on October 26, 1967. He was flying his 23rd bombing mission over North Vietnam, when his A-4E Skyhawk was shot down by a missile over Hanoi.[36][37][38][39] McCain fractured both arms and a leg,[40] and then nearly drowned when he parachuted into Truc Bach Lake in Hanoi.[36] After he regained consciousness, a mob attacked him,[41] crushed his shoulder with a rifle butt, and bayoneted him; he was then transported to Hanoi's main Hoa Loa Prison, nicknamed the "Hanoi Hilton".[41][42]

Although McCain was badly wounded, his captors refused to treat his injuries, instead beating and interrogating him to get information.[41] Only when the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was a top admiral did they give him medical care[41] and announced his capture. His status as a POW made the front pages of The New York Times[43] and The Washington Post.[44]

McCain spent six weeks in the Hoa Loa hospital, receiving marginal care.[36] Now having lost 50 pounds (23 kg), in a chest cast, and with his hair turned white,[36] McCain was sent to a different camp on the outskirts of Hanoi[45] in December 1967, into a cell with two other Americans who did not expect him to live a week.[46] In March 1968, McCain was put into solitary confinement, where he would remain for two years.[41]

In July 1968, McCain's father was named commander of all U.S. forces in the Vietnam theater.[2] McCain was immediately offered early release.[36] The North Vietnamese wanted a worldwide propaganda coup by appearing merciful, and also wanted to show other POWs that elites like McCain were willing to be treated preferentially.[41] McCain turned down the offer of repatriation; he would only accept the offer if every man taken in before him was released as well.[47]

President Richard Nixon greets the released John McCain.In August of 1968, a program of severe torture began on McCain, at the same time as he was suffering from dysentery,[41][36] and McCain made an anti-American propaganda "confession".[36] He has always felt that his statement was dishonorable,[48] but as he would later write, "I had learned what we all learned over there: Every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine."[41] His injuries left him permanently incapable of raising his arms above his head.[49] He subsequently received two to three beatings per week because of his continued refusal to sign additional statements.[50] Other American POWs were similarly tortured and maltreated in order to extract "confessions" and propaganda statements,[41] with many enduring even worse treatment than McCain.[51]

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Obama won't be happy until all we're armed with are flintlock rifles without any flint.

Clinton is such a pathological liar that I feel she'll be less of a threat than him now.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,298 Times in 2,888 Posts

HTG - Jeremy obviously can articulate far better than me his position but IMO Jeremy is not minimizing the heroic deeds Senator McCain performed through 1973 but questioning what Senator McCain has done of a particularly heroic nature since then - not an unfair question to ask if the Presidency is more than some sort of life achievement award.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote