Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
rdsovchen
Draft Prospect

Location: Settled in CLEVELAND OH of all places with wife and two girls.
Member Number: 8369
Default Let's play Steeler GM

With the draft less than 2 weeks away, what are your scenarios for the Steeler's first round pick.

Do they trade up, trade down or stay put?
What team do they trade up with, what's the realistic offer to make the deal work and who do they pick?
What team do they trade down with, what's the realistic offer to make the deal work and who do they pick?
If they stay put, what is the obvious choice with who you feel will still be on the board?
Branden Albert is moving up fast, Is Gosder a reach at 23?
Do we forego OL and look at WR, CB or elsewhere?
rdsovchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Let's play Steeler GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsovchen View Post
With the draft less than 2 weeks away, what are your scenarios for the Steeler's first round pick.

Do they trade up, trade down or stay put?
What team do they trade up with, what's the realistic offer to make the deal work and who do they pick?
What team do they trade down with, what's the realistic offer to make the deal work and who do they pick?
If they stay put, what is the obvious choice with who you feel will still be on the board?
Branden Albert is moving up fast, Is Gosder a reach at 23?
Do we forego OL and look at WR, CB or elsewhere?
It takes two to tango....So its sometimes tough to trade up or down...But I really don't want to trade up...I would prefer to trade down and especially with the Falcons...Wouldn't mind trying to pick up an extra first round pick for 09 like the Cowboys did last year with their trade with the Browns....

But if no trade happens I think drafting best available is the way to go rather then drafting for need....The only OTs I would spend a first round pick on is Jake Long, Ryan Clady and Chris Williams.....Long and Clady for sure won't be there at 23....I also don't think Williams will be there.....Only one OG is worth a first round grade and thats Brandon Albert and with his potential to play LT one day he is moving up draft boards....so I doubt he will be there at 23...

I want nothing to do with Otah...think he is vastly over-rated and a bit of a project...As for Gosder Cherilus....I like the fact he is from BC and Boston College has a good track record of producing quality NFL OL...But I still think 23 is to early for him and I view him as a 2nd round prospect...If the Steelers could trade down and draft him then fine...

Now if Williams and Albert are gone at 23 and no trades happen...I would look at Quentin Groves, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, Jonathan Stewart.....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

I like Albert @ 23 if he is there... Groves could be nice, but a stretch.

If we go WR, I'd take Sweed.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,769 Posts

i'd look to move down, with a trading partner in the top 10 of the second RD......but i wouldn't go for thier 1st next year, because chances are its a top 10 pick, and i wouldn't want the top 10 ransom ( signing bonus) that goes with it.
32 miami - could possably wanna move up for a reciever, or cherilus
33 rams - may move to the 3-4 and could covet groves if they don't take gholston
34 falcons - if cason, talib or phillips , or maybe DT balmer, or cherilus could be targeted
35 chiefs - could be eying a DB, reciever, balmer or cherilus
36 jets - groves, CB
37 falcons
38 ravens - CB
39 49ers - could want groves , cherilus or a WR
40 saints - may want to go for a CB or phillips
41 buffalo - a CB or WR.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 04-13-2008 at 06:50 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i'd look to move down, with a trade in the top 10 of the second RD......but i wouldn't go for thier 1st next year, because chances are its a top 10 pick, and i wouldn't want the top 10 ransom ( signing bonus) that goes with it.
32 miami - could possably wanna move up for a reciever, or cherilus
33 rams - may move to the 3-4 and could covet groves if they don't take gholston
34 falcons - if cason, talib or phillips , or maybe DT balmer, or cherilus could be targeted
35 chiefs - could be eying a DB, reciever, balmer or cherilus
36 jets - groves, CB
37 falcons
38 ravens - CB
39 49ers - could want groves , cherilus or a WR
40 saints - may want to go for a CB or phillips
41 buffalo - a CB or WR.
I like your thinking, except I would take next years 1st in order to give us some flexability in next years draft. There are probably 5 OTs next year that would make very good LTs and an extra 1st could help us trade up or down to get the one we want.
BUT, I just have a feeling that someone, probably Cherilus or Groves, will be there that they will take.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I like your thinking, except I would take next years 1st in order to give us some flexability in next years draft. There are probably 5 OTs next year that would make very good LTs and an extra 1st could help us trade up or down to get the one we want.
BUT, I just have a feeling that someone, probably Cherilus or Groves, will be there that they will take.
ok.....but who would give up a 1st , plus an additional pick.....for who ? the clowns gave up the # 36, plus a 1st for the #22., but that was for a guy projected as a top 10 at worst. so unless something similiar happens this year, i don't see it happening. i just don't think there's gonna be that " must have guy" around at 23.look at who's behind us in the 1st, and what position there likely to take........
24 tenn.........WR.........no need to move up
25 seattle.....WR ( branch may miss 08 with torn acl , engram is 35, hacket traded ).....no need to move up
26 jacksonville......DE....trading with us wouldn't help, they'd need to probably get in front of washington.....or they'll snag a DT (BALMER OR MOORE)
27 chargers........OT......thier not gonna give up much for cherlus, plus they don't have a 2nd,3rd, or 4th......they should be looking to trade down themselves.
28 dallas........WR / CB.......They'll get value at either position here....no need to trade
29 SF.............OLB/ DE/WR......If groves is there, i'm sure they'll take him, and they could offer us trade, but they could still get WR value here
30 GB............DB .........They would probably only have to move to 27 to get talib or cason, so why go to 23?
31 NY.............S / LB ........they lost thier safty to oakland, so phillips should be there target, no need to move to 23 for phillips. or dan conner.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I'm not saying that such a deal could or could not happen, you never know what some of these teams are going to do on draft day. In fact, like you, I can't see any player at this time that would pull in a 1st day pick next year.

Just saying that if a chance to bring in another 1st round pick next year came around, without messing up this years draft to bad, I would listen.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I'm not saying that such a deal could or could not happen, you never know what some of these teams are going to do on draft day. In fact, like you, I can't see any player at this time that would pull in a 1st day pick next year.

Just saying that if a chance to bring in another 1st round pick next year came around, without messing up this years draft to bad, I would listen.
oh absolutley !!! .......the falcons have 3 picks in the 2nd, and 2 in the 3rd.....i'd be callin them on draft day.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
Steeldude
Living Legend

as GM i would realize that picking a WR in the first 3 rounds would be wasteful. the needs of the steelers will not be fixed by adding a WR that early.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote:
That could work great for our next Center!!!......Alex Mack from Cal.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...ck_alex03.html
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote