Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Your all time favorite Steeler games.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...9412/index.htm

I know this is going back a long way, but I'm an old fart and with SI opening up its vault I couldn't stop myself from sharing a favorite moment of my childhood. (14 at the time)

No one gave the Steelers a chance to win this game, and once they did I remember not being able to sleep all night in anticipation of what was to come.

Of course at the time I had no idea that this was only the tip of the iceberg. But still in it's own way this one was more special than any of the others. Back then winning wasn't taken for granted or thought of as a birth right by Steeler fans as seems to be the case today. Not condemning anyone mind you, because you do have a right to demand excellence in your team. But still there was an innocence factor back then that will never be recaptured.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140
Default Re: Your all time favorite Steeler games.

My favorite was a game that I attended, the 1994 playoff game versus the Cleveland Browns. We swept the season series and many NFL forecasters predicted that it is "very difficult to beat a good team 3 times in one season".

Whatever, my question to the forecasters was, "Who in the H E L L said that the Browns are a good team"?
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
Rick97
Water Boy

Member Number: 2343
Smile Re: Your all time favorite Steeler games.

I've been following the Steelers since '93, and my favourite game isn't any of the great playoff-games, championship games or two Super Bowls Pittsburgh has appeared in since that time. The game that stands out in my mind is the 2004 regular season game against Jacksonville. The hitting was vicious, and the outcome wasn't decided until the very end. Does anyone else remember that game?

Besides, the Steelers vs Jaguars rivalry, to me, is far more valuable than any of the intra-division rivalries (the Browns are a non-factor, the Bengals are soft and the Ravens always lack the offensive firepower to be a true post-season threat). In 2005, the Steelers vs Jags game went into overtime, and in 2006 the score was a defensive struggle with a final score of 0-9 to the Jags. Pittsburgh-Jacksonville games are always memorable, perhaps because the Jags are basically Pittsburgh B, from the front office down (they only spent a lot of money in free agency this year to meet the minimum cap requirements) to the hard hitting on the field.

Watching these two teams is like watching that Superman movie where he split into two and battled himself.
Rick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

my favorite has to be the 2005 playoff game when the steelers beat the colts, considering I live in Indy
steelersfanman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 AM   #5
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...9412/index.htm

I know this is going back a long way, but I'm an old fart and with SI opening up its vault I couldn't stop myself from sharing a favorite moment of my childhood. (14 at the time)

No one gave the Steelers a chance to win this game, and once they did I remember not being able to sleep all night in anticipation of what was to come.

Of course at the time I had no idea that this was only the tip of the iceberg. But still in it's own way this one was more special than any of the others. Back then winning wasn't taken for granted or thought of as a birth right by Steeler fans as seems to be the case today. Not condemning anyone mind you, because you do have a right to demand excellence in your team. But still there was an innocence factor back then that will never be recaptured.
Good stuff. Thats when football was football... it will never be that good again. As an old Raiders fan since '68, I consider the Steelers- Raiders games to be the best there was in the 70's.
silver & black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I have to agree with the playoff game with indy that game was awsome.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
Good stuff. Thats when football was football... it will never be that good again. As an old Raiders fan since '68, I consider the Steelers- Raiders games to be the best there was in the 70's.
That was an amazing stretch between those two teams that I doubt will ever be duplicated. I mean think about it, one ended the other one's season for 5 consecutive calender years as they met in the playoffs at the conclusion of every season from 72-76 with the further distinction of facing off in 3 straght AFC title games. (74-76)

BTW nice to see another person who understands and appreciates the history of the game.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

The AFC championship game when we beat the Colts lead by Harbough was a thrilling unforgettable game
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
Absolutely s&b. I don't believe there has been a more intense rivalry in the NFL since those 70's Steelers/Raiders games.

I have so many favorite Steelers games, but the one that stands out in my mind is the 1984 playoff game against the 13-3 Broncs at Mile High. We had enough trouble getting into the playoffs that year, having to beat the LA Raiders on the last day of the regular season, finishing 9-7. Mark Malone was behind center and the Steelers battled the Broncos hard and kept coming and coming, with the game tied at 17 going deep into the 4th Q. With 2 minutes left in the game and the Broncs in possession, Elway throws downfield and his pass is picked off by Eric Williams who ran it all the way back to the Broncs' 2 YL. Frank Pollard scored the winning TD and the Steelers went on to win that game 24-17! One of the most exciting games I've ever watched.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

2005 AFCCG by far. Nobody gave us a chance, it was a forgone conclusion that the Colts were going to blow us out, and we came out and just kicked their asses up one end of the field and down the other. I distinctly remember at halftime being as proud as I ever was to be a Steelers fan. There were many other great wins in the past, and the SB's are great, but something about that game remains remarkable to me...