Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255
Default Gosder Cherilus

I'm seriously developing a real man crush on this guy. I think he's got Steeler written all over him! I haven't seen him play, but he sounds like a better prospect then Otah. What do you all think?

After starting 37 consecutive games at right tackle, Gosder Cherilus moved to the demanding left tackle position as a senior. It is an understatement to say that he struggled most of the year at that position.

Penalties -- seven total and four vs. Notre Dame -- were his worst enemy. Cherlius allowed 5 1/2 quarterback sacks and four pressures, acceptable totals when the offense throws the ball 659 times in a season.

With his limited change-of-direction agility, along with a solid reputation as a mauler for the ground game, Cherilus would welcome a return to right tackle at the next level. The Haitian is a tireless worker and with patient coaching, he could join the long line of steady Boston College offensive linemen now playing in the NFL. Cherilus closed out his career with 51 consecutive starts for the Eagles, establishing a new school record.

Cherilus was a Boston Globe and Boston Herald All-Scholastic selection as a senior at Somerville High School, where he played tackle on both sides of the ball. He was named to Tom Lemming's All-American team in 2002, the same season that he captured All-State accolades from the Massachusetts State Coaches Association. Cherilus also participated on Somerville's basketball and track teams.

Cherilus spent the 2003 season at Boston College performing with the scout team, as the coaches afforded him an extra year to fully recover from right knee surgery. He was the only redshirt freshman to start on BC's offensive line in 2004, helping the team average 385.4 yards per game in total offense.

As a sophomore, he started all 13 games at right tackle, delivering 53 knockdown blocks. The Eagles went on to lead the Atlantic Coast Conference in total offense, averaging 387.75 yards per game.

In 2006, his drive-blocking skills saw the team have at least one 100-yard rusher in seven games. Cherilus made 79 knockdowns, along with 10 touchdown-resulting blocks. With the right tackle leading the way, the Eagles averaged 355.6 yards per game. He also made a key tackle vs. Navy in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

The recipient of the team's Unsung Hero Award in 2007, Cherilus also garnered All-Atlantic Coast Conference second-team honors. With the ground game a liability, the team took to the air, ranking seventh in the nation with an average of 323.9 passing yards per game. Even though he struggled with his timing, the left tackle came up with 77 knockdowns and 12 touchdown-resulting blocks in 14 games.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220
Default Re: Gosder Cherilus

I like him on paper... ive heard some negatives on this guy as well... kinda keeping me from being sold.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
I like him on paper... ive heard some negatives on this guy as well... kinda keeping me from being sold.
What are his negatives?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

I think he started in football later in life than most but, I like him too. He's being groomed by an old NY Jet great (can't remember who). They were talking about him on the radio and I really liked what I was hearing.

<--- Who's this guy??? Hey, we have new emotioncons! Cool, now I don't have search for the ROTF guy anymore.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelymcmatt View Post
What are his negatives?
Not good against speed rushers, penalty-prone (as a senior...) technique is not solid.

Everything I see says he can be good but not great. Maybe I get stuck wanting an all-pro at every position... who knows... I like his size and the BC pedigree.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Fordy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2047

He went up against some great DE in the ACC and faired pretty well. Id be happy to draft him. I just hope we pick any of the good OL in the 1st round. most likely the ones left for us will be Williams from Vandy and Cherilus.."Gosder Cherilus" plus he has a great name
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I watched Cherilus several times this years, he was a kid that I really thought could be the Steelers 1st round pick.

I thought that he had a lot of trouble with quicker guys, I thought that he did not seem to get off the line quickly on running plays, and that he seem to not be able to overpower DEs that he should be stronger than. Being uncomfortable on the left side could have caused all of this.

Now this was his 1st year at LT and I think that he would do much better on the right side. Having said that, I don't think I would want him at 23. If we could trade down and get him with a 2nd round pick, or maybe even a late 1st rounder I probably would be in favor of that.

Mind you that people a lot smarter than I am do not agree with this, but it is the way I see it.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Most people think he's better on the right side...

And why not have a good T on the right side????
Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
Most people think he's better on the right side...

And why not have a good T on the right side????
If we draft him, which I have a feeling we may, that is exactly what we will have.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,295 Posts

I'm OK with Cherilus, but dont see him on the left side which begs the question .....is 23 too high to pick a RT?

As for playing against some good tackles in the big east and better than Otah. Otah handled Chris Long and George Selvie well in games this season, but struggled against lesser competition.

Watch the Matt Ryan video clips and see #77 with a poor kick slide, heavy feet and bad technique on the left side. Cherilus has measurables and is nasty and competes, but struggled big time against speed at the senior bowl. He may be able to improve and be a solid RT that can pass and run block......being a LT will be a major transition.

I think Otah is a better prospect who can play LT, but will not be there at 23. Cherilus should be there and if the other 5 linemen are gone, I see him as being the pick as he might not get out of the 1st round.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote