Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #11
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579
Default Re: Gosder Cherilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Watch the Matt Ryan video clips and see #77 with a poor kick slide, heavy feet and bad technique on the left side. Cherilus has measurables and is nasty and competes, but struggled big time against speed at the senior bowl. He may be able to improve and be a solid RT that can pass and run block......being a LT will be a major transition.
i think that's an understatement, i dont think it can be done at all...

call me a hater and that's basically what i am... i wouldn't like to see an unathletic RT play on our line... i mean one of his knocks is that he can't handle speed rushers... well newsflash everyone, in the NFL everyone is FAST! to have an unathletic RT with bad technique will be exactly what we had in colon and starks...

i will be the first to admit we need a LT/RT or both but cherilus is not the answer at either position...
Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 AM   #12
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,632 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I am not sold on this guy either at 23 I think we can find someone with better valuer then him.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Good luck to all the Nay' Sayers... I think that this guy is gonna be a very nice addition to someone's roster and I wouldnt mind at all being the Steelers'. He looked very impressive at the Senior Bowl against some pretty darn good compitition.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Good luck to all the Nay' Sayers... I think that this guy is gonna be a very nice addition to someone's roster and I wouldnt mind at all being the Steelers'. He looked very impressive at the Senior Bowl against some pretty darn good compitition.
With his so-called "Mean Streak" I believe he could make the transition to the left side and contribute greatly to our O-line.... He has been the one guy I have expected to be a future Steeler since every one started their mock drafts and analizing players.
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

If this guy is truly "penalty prone" I see this as a MAJOR LIABILITY. I hope the Steelers do not force themselves to take an offensive lineman but take the best available football player be it a defensive lineman, POWER running back or corner back. My hope is that the best will be a offensive lineman.but Please no "penalty prone ' OL.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,636 Posts

[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;386343]i wouldn't like to see an unathletic RT play on our line... i mean one of his knocks is that he can't handle speed rushers... well newsflash everyone, in the NFL everyone is FAST! to have an unathletic RT with bad technique will be exactly what we had in colon and starks...

QUOTE]

This is the interesting thing. He has decent times in 3 cone drills and all that. He looks like an incredibly hard worker that hussles and he is a powerful, nasty competitor.

I was against him, but think with the size, long arms and coaching him up on better technique, kick slide, positioning for counter moves, etc. he can be a good pass blocker on the right side and a great addition to the run game.

I wouldnt have a problem with him being drafted to solve one of the tackle spots. That will leave extending either Smith or Starks on the other side to shore up the other side.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Please dont refer to the Senior Bowl and Cherilus. That makes me really hate on him. He brawled with guys on day 1 and created a buzz by being nasty, but the rest of the week he got beat like a rented mule and looked terrible.

Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College: Cherilus was expected to have a big week but failed to deliver. He possesses the size and strength to start in the NFL, but his inability to block in anything other than a small area was troublesome. Cherilus now needs a big combine to preserve being a first-round choice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...sliders/1.html

I think Cherilus had a good combine, but again his poor senior bowl showing is a bit of cause for concern.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
With his so-called "Mean Streak" .
When I think of the best LT's in the game, I dont think "Mean Streak" is a prerequisite in any of them.

Walter Jones, Jon Ogden, Orlando Pace, Chris Samuels, Flozell Adams, Marcus McNeil, etc are not known for being nasty, but rather big strong guys that are intelligent craftsmen in their technique.

With Cherilus I see a big nasty mauler that makes up for his lack of technique with hard work and effort. Not a bad trait at all. He may start at LT in 3 or 4 seasons, but the likleyhood is he spends a season as a backup until starting at RT for 3 seasons.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255

The one "problem" I've had with Cherilus up to this point is that I'm worried he might be a SLIGHT reach at 23....but here's a thought:

What if only one or two WR have gone by the time we're on the clock. Each of the next 6 teams should be looking at a WR. If I'm San Francisco and want someone to be that premier wide reciever in my new wide open office, I could package 1.29(640) and 4.103(86) to move ahead of some other teams to get the WR of my choice. Alternatively we could swap third rounders.

Then we can pick up Cherilus where he should rightly go (29) and either have an extra pick in the 4th, or at least an earlier pick in the 3rd.

What say you?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

WIlle Colon's "mean streak" hasn't gotten him very far...