Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Trading Nude Photos Via Mobile Phone Now Part of Teen Dating, Experts Say

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351171,00.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio ? Forget about passing notes in study hall; some teens are now using their cell phones to flirt and send nude pictures of themselves.

The instant text, picture and video messages have become part of some teens' courtship behavior, police and school officials said.

The messages often spread quickly and sometimes find their way to public Web sites.

"I've seen everything from your basic striptease to sexual acts being performed," said Reynoldsburg police Detective Brian Marvin, a member of the FBI Cyber Crime Task Force of Central Ohio. "You name it, they will do it at their home under this perceived anonymity."

Westerville Central High School senior Jerome Ray said he's received such unsolicited messages, including one from a classmate while he was sitting with his girlfriend.

"A lot more girls are aggressive," said Ray, 18. "Some girls are crazy and they are putting themselves out there."

Candice Kelsey, a teacher from California, said some teenage girls think they have to be provocative to get boys' attention. As a result, they will send photos they hope their parents never see.

"This happens a lot," said Kelsey, author of Generation MySpace: Helping Your Teen Survive Online Adolescence. "It crosses every racial socio-economic group. Christian kids are doing it. Jewish kids are doing it."

Male teens are also doing it.

For instance, a central Ohio high school teen made a sexual cell phone video of himself and sent it to female classmates. One of the girls forward the Westerville South High School's video to at least 30 other people.

A study last year found teens are placing more of an emphasis on image and fame than in the past. Jean Twenge, a psychology professor at San Diego State University who studies young people's trends, found that teens are more confident and assertive than ever before.

"Adolescents are not known for thinking things through ? that's a generational constant," she said. "Now, with the technology that is out there, instead of taking a picture and passing it around the classroom, it's online, which is a whole different ball game. (Teens) don't see it that way."

Mark Raiff, a principal at Columbus' Olentangy Liberty High School, said some of his students and their cell phones have caused trouble.

"They don't see anything wrong with it," he said. "It leaves me speechless."
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Trading Nude Photos Via Mobile Phone Now Part of Teen Dating, Experts Say

Kids with cell phones, still makes no sense to me. Of coarse they will abuse the cell phones and use them in unbelievable ways. They are freaking Teenagers!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Trading Nude Photos Via Mobile Phone Now Part of Teen Dating, Experts Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Kids with cell phones, still makes no sense to me. Of coarse they will abuse the cell phones and use them in unbelievable ways. They are freaking Teenagers!
Bingo!!! I have a 14 yo son and a 13 yo daughter....I see no reason why they would "need" a cell phone....If they are going to be somewhere that they need to call me, either my wife or I will lend them one of our phones.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

I had a job at 16 making decent money. Now this was at a time before camera phones and all the current technology, but you have to imagine that some of these kids pay for the phones themselves.

I'm certainly not defending what they're doing, but you can only protect them for so long. As long as you're raising your kids right, you have to have some faith that they'll make the right decisions.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I had a job at 16 making decent money. Now this was at a time before camera phones and all the current technology, but you have to imagine that some of these kids pay for the phones themselves.

I'm certainly not defending what they're doing, but you can only protect them for so long. As long as you're raising your kids right, you have to have some faith that they'll make the right decisions.
That's exactly right.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
CB1977
Starter

Member Number: 6651

Quote:

Thank you! Well said!
CB1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:

..and as a parent couldnt you say..."yes you can have a phone...but not a camera phone"?

I can specifically remember my Mother keeping me from going to an all-nighter when I was in high-school....I asked her "Do you think I'm irresponsible?".....Her answer has stuck with me forever...she said..."No, I think your 17."

Most mistakes are made out of naivity and inexperience...not out of stupidity or irresponsibility... raising my kids right doesnt give them any more experience or make them any more mature than nature intended...Its my job to help my kids through that.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
..and as a parent couldnt you say..."yes you can have a phone...but not a camera phone"?

I can specifically remember my Mother keeping me from going to an all-nighter when I was in high-school....I asked her "Do you think I'm irresponsible?".....Her answer has stuck with me forever...she said..."No, I think your 17."

Most mistakes are made out of naivity and inexperience...not out of stupidity or irresponsibility... raising my kids right doesnt give them any more experience or make them any more mature than nature intended...Its my job to help my kids through that.
You can say that, but if they're paying the bills, how much control do you really have?

Yes, you need to guide and protect, but that can only go so far. Especially in today's society.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
You can say that, but if they're paying the bills, how much control do you really have?

Yes, you need to guide and protect, but that can only go so far. Especially in today's society.
My mother and father once told me, "It may be your room but it's our roof."

Basically what it came down to was if I didn't respect their rules of the house I could find a new place to live (even at the age of 17). Didn't matter if I bought the item or paid the bill.

So to answer your question, I have a lot of control in my house. So much I've ripped controllers and phones out of my kid's hands - in less than a nan-second. And while they complain to their mother that I'm being too hard on them, I explain to them that if they listen and obey the rules and guidelines of the house - life won't be so hard!

And while my wife and I have done our Godly best to raise our children, it is still their immaturity that shines through from time to time. Example, you can tell your kids not to smoke pot a 1,000 times but when the pressure is on and you're not around - what are they doing? I know what I did.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:

I have a funny feeling, just a hunch, that the kids sending naked photos to each other on their cell phones, aren't the same responsible kids that have jobs that pay for the usage of their own cell phones.

Not saying all, but I'd guess that most of these teens with Cell phones that are abusing the priveledge of having a cell phone, aren't the same kind of kids that would be responsible enough to keep a good paying job at the age of 16 or 17. More than likely, we are looking a trend in our society where Parents, thinking that having their kids on Cell phone speed dial is a good parenting tool, are buying their kids top end cell phone models, simply because they want the best for their child.

Just a hunch, I may be way off base. But to a teenager, its a lot more fun, and easy to mis-use something someone else is paying for, than running up your own minutes, and your own bills.