Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Is Murtha losing his mind?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080416/.../murtha_mccain

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Democratic Rep. John Murtha said Wednesday that Republican Sen. John McCain is too old to be president.

Murtha is 75, four years older than McCain. He says they are nearly the same age, and the rigors and stress of running the country is too much for guys their age.
Is he planning on running for re-election to his House seat? Because if he is, I have a good theme, I just thought of, for his opponents.

Quote:
McCain and Murtha are both Vietnam veterans who have worked closely on national security issues. Age hasn't slowed Murtha down. After Democrats took control of the House in the 2006 election, Murtha sought the House majority leader position but was defeated.
I can understand if voters believe McCain is too old, but for Murtha to say it - the word that comes to mind ... D'oh.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Re: Is Murtha losing his mind?

In Murtha's defense . . . representing 1 Congressional District and being on of 435 members of congress is a bit different than having the stress of being the leader of the free world and the commander-in-chief of the most powerful military in the world.

Look at how much the presidency has aged much younger men---just look at Clinton, GW! The most striking pictures I ever saw were those of Lincoln before his presidency, and a mere 5 years later in 1865---he's aged 20 years, at least, in 5. I realize he was president in the middle of a Civil War, but these are trying times as well.

Now, Murtha is saying this because he's a dem, but I don't begrudge him the right to say it.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Is this all the Democrats have left in their arsenal? What's next, will they make fun of his arm?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Is this all the Democrats have left in their arsenal? What's next, will they make fun of his arm?
only if its as fun as making fun of bob dole's pen.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
In Murtha's defense . . . representing 1 Congressional District and being on of 435 members of congress is a bit different than having the stress of being the leader of the free world and the commander-in-chief of the most powerful military in the world.

Look at how much the presidency has aged much younger men---just look at Clinton, GW! The most striking pictures I ever saw were those of Lincoln before his presidency, and a mere 5 years later in 1865---he's aged 20 years, at least, in 5. I realize he was president in the middle of a Civil War, but these are trying times as well.

Now, Murtha is saying this because he's a dem, but I don't begrudge him the right to say it.

Well, I do think McCain's age could be an issue, but Murtha is four years older than Mccain and has been trying to get a leadership job in the House. I think he is still on the Armed Services Committie. Look, this won't cost Murtha an election he is untouchable. He brings in so much money to this district it is ridiculous. I've voted for him and against him over the years. I just think it is a crazy thing for a sitting 75 year old Congressman to say.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
only if its as fun as making fun of bob dole's pen.

The "caring" party
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote