Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,143 Times in 2,830 Posts
Default ESPN Snuffs Obama/SportsGuy Podcast

Very interesting

Doesn't ESPN think sports fans want to hear Barack Obama?

At the last minute, network executives killed a podcast with the senator that was scheduled for Friday with host Bill Simmons.

The presidential candidate was all ready to do it.

"Senator Obama would be happy to appear on ESPN at any time," said his spokesman, Tommy Vietor.

It's not the first time the sports network has canceled an appearance by the Democratic front-runner. According to a campaign source, a television interview set up with host Stu Scott was canceled by higher-ups as well.

As more and more Americans wake up about the Big Vote, sportswriters such as The News' Mike Lupica have successfully made their voices heard politically.

Griped one source, "They landed the hottest politician in 50 years, and they couldn't even see the interview through? This is insanity."

It's of interest that ESPN president George Bodenheimer has supported Republican Sen. John McCain's presidential bid with a donation of $1,000.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/20...espn_isnt.html

As rev said in another thread, part of Obama's appeal is pursuit of new constituencies/media - hard to see McCain or She Whose Name Must Not Be Spoken going for a podcast with the SportsGuy
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,312 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: ESPN Snuffs Obama/SportsGuy Podcast

Don't we use sports as entertainment? Isn't entertainment a way to escape from our daily BS? Aren't politicians responsible for the majority of the BS in our day? THEN WHY THE %^&* DO I WANT TO HEAR A POLITICIAN (even if it was one I like) ON ESP $&#$ing N????
Old 04-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Don't we use sports as entertainment? Isn't entertainment a way to escape from our daily BS? Aren't politicians responsible for the majority of the BS in our day? THEN WHY THE %^&* DO I WANT TO HEAR A POLITICIAN (even if it was one I like) ON ESP $&#$ing N????
No, politicians are not responsible for the "majority of BS in our day" (go read a Bear Stearns hedge fund prospectus for an example of the real deal)

If you do not want to hear that interview then don't click the link - listen to who you want but don't applaud voices being censored

Ronald Reagan appeared in the booth with Howard Cosell (and John Lennon!) on MNF in the mid-70s - get over politicians attempting to go where an audience is
Old 04-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts

Quote:
Don't we use sports as entertainment? Isn't entertainment a way to escape from our daily BS? :
actually, war is used as entertainment.

i was glued to coverage of david bloom driving through the desert, coming across a herd of camels and the beduins who owned them, during our most recent invasion.

arnet and shaw in the hotel as baghdad was initially bombed in the early 90's? riveting.

actually seeing and hearing 500 lb bunker busters explode in the middle of the city?

hollywood couldnt do any better.

sad but true. i wont lie. not only was i proud, but i found entertainment by actually watching our military might.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
No, politicians are not responsible for the "majority of BS in our day" (go read a Bear Stearns hedge fund prospectus for an example of the real deal)

If you do not want to hear that interview then don't click the link - listen to who you want but don't applaud voices being censored

Ronald Reagan appeared in the booth with Howard Cosell (and John Lennon!) on MNF in the mid-70s - get over politicians attempting to go where an audience is
AD - I was not attacking your post at all. I'm just appalled by the idea. As for Ronald Reagan, well I'll make him the exception, as I very much admired that man.

Oh,....but IMO not wanting to mix politics with sports is NO WHERE NEAR censorship. I more liken it to "no talking in the library" than anything else.

Peace Brotha
Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
actually, war is used as entertainment.

i was glued to coverage of david bloom driving through the desert, coming across a herd of camels and the beduins who owned them, during our most recent invasion.

arnet and shaw in the hotel as baghdad was initially bombed in the early 90's? riveting.

actually seeing and hearing 500 lb bunker busters explode in the middle of the city?

hollywood couldnt do any better.

sad but true. i wont lie. not only was i proud, but i found entertainment by actually watching our military might.

And Von Clauswicz (sp?) said that "war is politics by other means." I agree that the media uses War on TV for various purposes. What you're talking about doesn't bother me too much. What bothers me about the media and our troops (and the War) is when they are not impartial with what they show AND when the Navy SEAls show up on a beach with cameras and spot lights in thier faces. Anyway, this is apples vs. oranges and I don't want to further hijack AD's thread. I fear I've already relayed my feelings poorly on this one.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts

Quote:
I fear I've already relayed my feelings poorly on this one.
nah, i dont think so. i see what youre saying.

but espn doing this now, would be like if fox would have pulled the plug on bill clinton playing his sax on the arsenio hall show back in '92.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
AD - I was not attacking your post at all. I'm just appalled by the idea. As for Ronald Reagan, well I'll make him the exception, as I very much admired that man.

Oh,....but IMO not wanting to mix politics with sports is NO WHERE NEAR censorship. I more liken it to "no talking in the library" than anything else.

Peace Brotha
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
nah, i dont think so. i see what youre saying.

but espn doing this now, would be like if fox would have pulled the plug on bill clinton playing his sax on the arsenio hall show back in '92.
LOL. Which they should have. j/k.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I wish they would stop contaminating the sports with politics.