Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558
Default Starks signs one year tender

Quote:
Steelers tackle Max Starks cleared up any uncertainty about his feelings about playing for the Steelers in 2008 by signing his transition tender.

Starks, 26, was given the transition tender because the Steelers, who lost Alan Faneca to free agency, didn't want to suffer too big a loss on the offensive line. A year ago, center Jeff Hartings retired. Even though Starks didn't finish the season as the starter, the Steelers felt he was too valuable to lose.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3354694

While I hate the idea of paying Starks money he doesnt deserve, Im not too mad about this. Its not like the Steelers would spend that money anywhere else, and we are hurting on the line as is.

It also gives us another year to evaluate him, before giving him a long term deal.

Still, it makes me question whether the Steelers will spend a first round pick on an OLineman, unless its Albert.

Time will tell.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Starks signs one year tender

Wow, that is a lot of mula for Starks. I'm a little surprised the Steelers didn’t pull the offer when it became apparent that they would not be able to work out a long term deal. On the other hand, I am happy he is here. It also makes me think again that OT will be a high draft pick, since we could lose both Smith and Starks after next season.

As for putting out the money, I guess the Steelers aren’t really putting out that much more cash for this season than if they had worked out a long-term deal. After all, there is no pro-rated signing bonus here.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Wow, that is a lot of mula for Starks. I'm a little surprised the Steelers didn?t pull the offer when it became apparent that they would not be able to work out a long term deal. On the other hand, I am happy he is here. It also makes me think again that OT will be a high draft pick, since we could lose both Smith and Starks after next season.

As for putting out the money, I guess the Steelers aren?t really putting out that much more cash for this season than if they had worked out a long-term deal. After all, there is no pro-rated signing bonus here.

Exactly. . . . it is a short term fix that doesn't tie our hands long term. It is actually a very wise move. Watch him start this year on the left side. If he makes it, He gets tagged again next year and signs a long term contract when he realizes the Steelers don't want him to leave.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

IMO it's definately a sigh of things to come in the draft. Looks like we take an OT in the 1st or 2nd round, allowing him to watch, learn, and see some action, getting him ready to start in his second season. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I've always been a supporter of Max, but 6.875 mil to a guy who hasn't been all that consistent over the past 2 seasons? I just have to trust that the Steelers know what they are doing here - that is why I'm not an NFL coach and just a fan - LOL!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

it sort of bothers me that a guy who didnt start last season.. and got benched in favor for a player who was a career OG gets 7 million...

but if he ends up playing lights out the entire season at LT or RT i'll look like an idiot for saying that..
Old 04-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

I'm surprised they didnt work out a deal other than that kind of $$ and cap hit.

If he competes in camp and loses our to Smith, Colon or a rookie draft pick. Its a lot to pay a guy that just drinks gatorade and blocks for FG.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Funny how we call the Rooney's cheap, yet we are the ones who are forgetting the market forces right now.

6.5 million with no lasting cap hit is nothing to spend on a lineman right now to see how he will fit into the future. We could have dropped him, and picked up a FA less money (maybe a quarter less), and then was stuck with him for 4 or 5 years as he underperforms or doesn't pickup the blocking schemes.

No, I say give the extra 25% and last chance to someone who already knows the system and we can dump next year without any hit if he doesn't work out.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Funny how we call the Rooney's cheap, yet we are the ones who are forgetting the market forces right now.

6.5 million with no lasting cap hit is nothing to spend on a lineman right now to see how he will fit into the future. We could have dropped him, and picked up a FA less money (maybe a quarter less), and then was stuck with him for 4 or 5 years as he underperforms or doesn't pickup the blocking schemes.

No, I say give the extra 25% and last chance to someone who already knows the system and we can dump next year without any hit if he doesn't work out.
I completely agree. We made the mistake of signing Simmons to a long term contract he didnt deserve. Hope we dont make that mistake twice.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

We could still be negotiating with him for a long term deal...couldn't we.

, if the Steelers have any kind of vision for Max at LT, if Smith is healthy....Smith will start. That leaves Max and Smith as UFA's next offseason with no one currently on the roster to replace them....unless Capizzi pulls something out of his backside or we draft a future LT.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote