Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
Mistah_Q
Starter

Member Number: 5514
Default Your 53-man rosters

Here's what, at this point, I'm interested in seeing. Of course it will change with the draft and any FA pickups. . . I'm interested in seeing some of yours. Yes, I have Starks at LT and Smith at RT. I'd like Colon to beat out Mahan for the LG and then Kemo backup RG, but I don't see it happening. This is Russell's year to prove himself in camp/preseason. . I think he can show he can be that pounder we're craving. You may disagree with some/all of the above and that's fine. Otherwise it's pretty cut and dry. .

I'm interested in seeing some of yours. I'll update after the draft. . . part of the defense has a second column, that second column is for 4-3 packages.

Quote:
QB Ben Roethlisberger
QB Charlie Batch
QB Jared Zabransky

WR Santonio Holmes
WR Hines Ward
WR Nate Washington
WR Willie Reid
WR Dallas Baker
WR Jeremy Bloom

TE Heath Miller
TE Matt Spaeth
TE Cody Boyd

RB Willie Parker
RB Gary Russell
RB Mewelde Moore
RB Najeh Davenport
FB Carey Davis

LT Max Starks
LT Trai Essex
LG Sean Mahan
LG Chris Kemoeatu
OC Justin Hartwig
OC Darnell Stapleton
RG Kendall Simmons
RG Willie Colon
RT Marvel Smith
RT Jason Capizzi

P Daniel Sepulveda
K Jeff Reed
LS Greg Warren

LDE Aaron Smith......................LDE Brett Keisel
LDE Ryan McBean....................LDE Travis Kirschke
NT Casey Hampton..................NT Casey Hampton
NT Chris Hoke...........................NT Chris Hoke
RDE Brett Keisel.......................DT Aaron Smith
RDE Travis Kirschke................DT Ryan McBean
.................................................. ....RDE LaMarr Woodley
LOLB LaMarr Woodley.............RDE Andre Frazier
LOLB Arnold Harrison
LILB James Farrior...................SLB James Farrior
LILB Andre Frazier.....................SLB Keyaron Fox
RILB Lawrence Timmons........MLB James Harrison
RILB Larry Foote........................MLB Arnold Harrison
ROLB James Harrison.............WLB Lawrence Timmons
ROLB Keyaron Fox....................WLB Larry Foote

LCB Ike Taylor
LCB William Gay
LCB Anthony Madison
SS Troy Polamalu
SS Mike Lorello
FS Anthony Smith
FS Ryan Clark
RCB Deshea Townsend
RCB Bryant McFadden
IMO Kentwan Balmer would answer a lot of questions on the defensive line, essentially he could be the starting RDE in the 3-4, and in the 4-3 packages provide solid depth, maybe even start, at Defensive Tackle. (and they'd be free to fiddle with Chris Hoke's position a little bit) Would replace Kirschke, and then if neither McBean or Keisel prove they can do anything at 3-4 DE, you can afford to bring in a young guy in the mid rounds next year. Unless magically Chris Williams or J-Stew fall to us, I'm pointing toward Balmer right now, it's the unpopular thing that half the gurus say, but it just makes sense.

Then in the second round, Chilo Rachal (OG, USC). Instant LG, Mahan can scram, and the other three (Simmons, Colon, and Kemoeatu) can duke it out for the RG spot. Our O-line is a whole lot better.

Then in the third? I'm thinking, J. Beau Bell, ILB, UNLV. Farrior isn't getting any younger, and as much faith as I have in Timmons, he's still a shot in the dark at this point, and Foote is a nice backup. . . He can play both inside and outside but is exactly the kind of mobile guy we need on the inside in the 3-4.

Fourth? Owen Schmitt, FB West Virginny. Some love him, some hate him, but really, last year we dropped Kreider. . then tried to use Carey Davis like he was Kreider. . it didn't work. "We don't run that kind of offense anymore!" Since when? We didn't have the FB for it last year. . . ask Parker if he wants a bulldozing FB.

Fifth? Darnell Terrell, CB, Missouri. Has the intangibles and the instincts, but is a little goofy and needs a lot of work on technique. Our CB situation seems to be okay but there are some question marks so it doesn't hurt to bring in a guy with potential, and Terrell looks like he could make a nice conversion to FS as well, a little insurance against the Clark/Anthony Smith situation.

Sixth? Todd Blythe, WR Iowa State. Ben wants a tall WR, Blythe wants a real QB. Harry, meet Sally. Doesn't have good speed but great size, hard worker, good blocker, and will contribute on special teams.

No seventh, but if the draft went like the above, I'd be satisfied. That would leave us looking something like (assuming they all make the team, and remember, I'll do a real one after the real draft. . . )

Quote:
QB Ben Roethlisberger
QB Charlie Batch
QB Jared Zabransky

WR Santonio Holmes
WR Hines Ward
WR Nate Washington
WR Willie Reid
WR Dallas Baker
WR Todd Blythe

TE Heath Miller
TE Matt Spaeth
TE Cody Boyd

RB Willie Parker
RB Gary Russell
RB Mewelde Moore
RB Najeh Davenport
FB Owen Schmitt

LT Max Starks
LT Trai Essex
LG Chilo Rachal
LG Willie Colon
OC Justin Hartwig
OC Darnell Stapleton
RG Kendall Simmons
RG Chris Kemoeatu
RT Marvel Smith
RT Jason Capizzi

P Daniel Sepulveda
K Jeff Reed
LS Greg Warren

LDE Aaron Smith......................LDE Aaron Smith
LDE Ryan McBean....................LDE Brett Keisel
RDE Kentwan Balmer..............DT Kentwan Balmer
RDE Brett Keisel.......................DT Ryan McBean
LOLB Andre Frazier
LILB Larry Foote........................SLB Keyaron Fox
RILB J. Beau Bell.......................MLB J. Beau Bell
ROLB Keyaron Fox....................WLB Larry Foote

LCB Ike Taylor
LCB William Gay
LCB Darnell Terrell
SS Troy Polamalu
SS Mike Lorello
FS Anthony Smith
FS Ryan Clark
RCB Deshea Townsend
RCB Bryant McFadden
Replace Davenport with Davis if you really, really want. Here's my explanation of how I have the RBs listed: Parker, the starter. Russell, the changeup/pounder. Moore, third down guy, situational, and if something happens to Parker (or Parker just needs a rest) he can come in without having to change the offensive plan. Davenport is a nice jack-of-all backup, and then Schmitt to blow open running lanes. I have them listed in order of role, not by who I think it best. . .

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Your 53-man rosters

I dont know about all your picks, and I know that everyone has their own opinions on what is gonna happen on saturday and sunday.
But the more I read and learn about DT/DE Kentwan Balmer, I'm just thinking that maybe he is a one year wonder. Its hard to say because he didnt play worth a crap til Butch Davis and coaches took over that team. That scares me and I really dont think that it would be a good pick. I wouldnt mind Rachal in the 2nd but the rest of your mock is what it is in your opinion.
Good job
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

why would you predict the 53 man roster before the draft

wait till next week
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Mistah_Q
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
why would you predict the 53 man roster before the draft

wait till next week
One was "current roster" and one was "projected draft." I'll do a real one after the draft

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Mistah_Q
Starter

So, back to reality. We're all out of draft picks, and here's the haul

1) RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
Well, I was a big proponent of taking J-Stew should he happen to fall to us, but never did I imagine that Mendenhall would -- I didn't even consider the possibility. We have the complement to Parker that we've been aching for, and Davenport becomes expendable.

2) WR Limas Sweed, Texas
Another awesome value, slipped a bit due to his wrist injury. I didn't imagine he'd last until the end of the second round, but another gift. However, Karma had to balance itself out on day two, so beware. . .

3) OLB Bruce Davis, UCLA
This is a very hard read. A high motor guy who doesn't have either the size or the strength you want. He was a DE at UCLA but is going to play OLB for us, and should be a decent backup. . maybe more. His stats and heart are nothing to scoff at. I thought this pick was a reach one round too early, especially considering some of the other players available at the time.

4) OT Tony Hills, Texas
You can't really complain about this pick, only that the OL wasn't addressed earlier (or after this, for that matter.) The value was about right, he was the Longhorns' Left Tackle, and if he can stay healthy, has the tools to develop into an NFL Left Tackle. I'm looking for him to backup at LG this season and if things work out, slide over to LT for 2009. Unless he comes into camp a total flop, we should be able to say farewell to Mahan.

5) QB Dennis Dixon, Oregon
The value for this pick was nice, but I'm not sure if I like it. We're crowded at WR and I don't know if he has the tools to be a feature NFL QB. He was having an extremely good season before he was injured, though, and it looks like we're thinking about replacing Batch in the next couple years -- Batch can't last forever. Dixon should be able to contribute similarly to the early Kordell Stewart years, and if he can develop into the future backup QB, all the better.

6a) LB Mike Humpal, Iowa
A good tackler, slow. Interesting prospect but it's hard to see him making the team. Practice squad maybe? His best place in the pros is inside, and his best hope would be if the Steelers decide to dump Larry Foote and his high salary. If that happens, you can switch Humpal in for Foote below. . but I'm not counting on it.

6b) FS Ryan Mundy, West Virginia
I was hoping for a safety, but wasn't thinking about Mundy. He was starting to look like a top safety at Michigan before his nerve injury, which some players never come back from, then he worked his way back and played for WVU. If he's healthy this is a solid pick, but you have to wonder if his injury isn't going to always be in the back of his mind. He played and is listed as Free Safety, but he can play SS, so this is both an upgrade in Polamalu's backup situation (Lorello vs. Tyrone Carter??) and insurance against the Clark/Anthony Smith situation.

I'm not going to bother doing another one of these after the list of added UDFAs come out unless something significant happens, someone on the list below gets cut, etc. and remember this is a "best case" with the draft picks working out the way they have potential to (with Humpal still not making it. . ) I think of Frazier as more of an OLB in the 3-4 but there wasn't anywhere else to put him, I think you keep him over Arnold Harrison too for his versatility.

Quote:
QB Ben Roethlisberger
QB Charlie Batch
QB Dennis Dixon

WR Santonio Holmes
WR Limas Sweed
WR Hines Ward
WR Nate Washington
WR Willie Reid
WR Dallas Baker

TE Heath Miller
TE Matt Spaeth
TE Cody Boyd

RB Willie Parker
RB Rashard Mendenhall
RB Mewelde Moore
RB Gary Russell
FB Carey Davis

LT Max Starks
LT Trai Essex
LG Willie Colon
LG Tony Hills
OC Justin Hartwig
OC Darnell Stapleton
RG Kendall Simmons
RG Chris Kemoeatu
RT Marvel Smith
RT Jason Capizzi

P Daniel Sepulveda
K Jeff Reed
LS Greg Warren

LDE Aaron Smith......................LDE Brett Keisel
LDE Ryan McBean....................LDE Travis Kirschke
RDE Brett Keisel.......................DT Aaron Smith
RDE Travis Kirschke................DT Ryan McBean
LOLB Bruce Davis
LILB Andre Frazier.....................SLB Keyaron Fox
RILB Larry Foote........................MLB Larry Foote
ROLB Keyaron Fox....................WLB Bruce Davis

LCB Ike Taylor
LCB William Gay
LCB Anthony Madison
SS Troy Polamalu
SS Ryan Mundy
FS Anthony Smith
FS Ryan Clark
RCB Deshea Townsend
RCB Bryant McFadden

Old 04-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I'll wait a bit more till they sign the undrafted FA to make a roster prediction
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote